Floating Around Norway on a Cloud

drron29

So now to the fish market.Not everything is seafood-

DSC02454.JPG.DSC02457.JPG.

DSC02458.JPG.DSC02459.JPG.

DSC02460.JPG.DSC02461.JPG.

There were plates of seafood out to buy and a couple of seafood restaurants adjacen.Prices seemed high.

It was now time for lunch.Walking back towards the ship we came across this restaurant-

DSC02515.JPG.

Was cheaper than the fish market for undoubtedly better seafood.Quite a few from the ship ate here.We had moules et frites.At least a kilo of mussels which were plump and sweet.Most enjoyable.Those getting crab,lobster,shrimp all seemed to be enjoying their food.

So now back to the Cloud and we leave Bergen.Interesting steaming out as we pass lovely scenery,salmon farms and oil platforms-

DSC02520.JPG.DSC02526.JPG.

DSC02530.JPG.

DSC02531.JPG.

DSC02544.JPG.

Conditions were great for a windsurfer-

DSC02545.JPG.DSC02546.JPG.

A good day for trivia-our first win.Another very enjoyable group for dinner once again being nearly last to leave.The next morning we awake in the Fjord leading to Hellesylt-

DSC02549.JPG.DSC02550.JPG.

A hydro power station-

DSC02551.JPG.DSC02558.JPG.

Loving all the pics!

Drron, George is jealous of your hat.

As far as moose burgers, I have prepared them for dinner many times in my own home, and they are quite tasty. Moose is very low fat and healthy. George shot one once, and we had something like 1000 lbs of meat. I had a dinner party where I served moose balls (meat balls made from moose meat, but some of my guests were shocked).

But did they eat them? I would try it. Since we don't take pix I am very happy to have drron along. I can just refer friends to CC to see our trip. Thanx, drron. In Honningsvag today for the required pilgrimage to Nordkapp, the North Cape, 71.10.20!! Very cold and gray but the colorful buildings (deep blue, orange, brick red, bright yellow and green add a certain Lightness to the town. (No pun intended!). We have been having good fish aboard, as expected. Here comes the rain...

Thanks Stumblefoot for the added colour commentary.
My pleasure! I second Duct Tape that we are lucky to have Dr. Ron onboard who is willing to share his pics.

Today, we are in Honningsvåg. We did the King Crab safari and it was loads of fun! We hunted, killed, butchered, and ate the sweet and succulent critters over an open flame. Best crab I've ever had for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to all of you for taking us along! Ron for the pictures, and Stumblefoot, Duct tape, and Ann for the commentary. You are doing a great job and I wish that we were there with you - especially for the king crab feast! The moose burgers sound tasty too.

We were beaten to Hellesylt.The ferry left as we arrived-

DSC02589.JPG.DSC02590.JPG.

You discover you really are on a small ship.The Cloud and MSC Orchestra-

DSC02596.JPG.

A rushing stream splits the town-

DSC02597.JPG.DSC02602.JPG.

So we now set off on our bus journey from Hellesylt to Geiranger.

DSC02607.JPG

Edited by drron29

So the day for boarding the Cloud for her Norwegian cruise has finally arrived.Once again I will try and give a pictorial narrative.Though Picasa and a new computer may conspire against me.

I have been doing a trip report on our 5 week journey to get to Copenhagen.For any one interested it is here-

http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/trip-reports-and-trip-photos/convoys-and-long-way-home-67976.html

Bring it on:)

Wasn't long before we saw our first real snow.The land was dotted with many small farms and quite picturesque-

DSC02611.JPG.DSC02615.JPG.

DSC02624.JPG.DSC02627.JPG.

DSC02629.JPG.

Soon our first stop at Europe's deepest lake.Hornindalsvatnet.

DSC02632.JPG.

At this little town Rojaan was able to buy some very good alpaca yarn in the supermarket.One of the few things that is cheaper in Norway.Nice decorations around the hotel-

DSC02639.JPG.DSC02641.JPG.

We then went on to the next town.A lot bigger.Mogrenda.Also quite photogenic-

DSC02649.JPG.DSC02643.JPG.

DSC02651.JPG.DSC02652.JPG.

We now arrived at our lunch destination.An old hotel which for most of the year is a ski resort.It is also the junction of the old and new roads so we soon understood why the old road was blocked.At this time of year the wildflowers are meant to be in full bloom but only a few were flowering.

DSC02762.JPG.DSC02765.JPG.

DSC02766.JPG.DSC02774.JPG.

DSC02769.JPG.DSC02773.JPG.

We enjoyed a simple lunch of white asparagus soup,salmon and dessert.But the real attraction was the magnificent scenery and for those of us from hotter climes the snow.You will also note the blue sky.A rare sight this trip-

DSC02761.JPG.DSC02775.JPG.

DSC02779.JPG.DSC02781.JPG.

DSC02786.JPG.DSC02789.JPG.