Celebrity Summit Bermuda snorkel questions

edhopper

Going to Bermuda on the Summit in July and want to do some snorkeling.

First question is, we are looking at the "Shipwreck Dives" The prices are similar if we go with the Excursion or just use Jesse James in Bermuda. Jesse James Cruise uses smaller <20 person boats, which we prefer. The Celebrity site doesn't say anything about the boat, and we don't want a big "party" catamaran. Love to hear from anyone who has done this.

If we don't do the boat dive, we will snorkel at one of the beaches. So recommendations / advice on snorkeling from shore is appreciated.

We are experienced snorkelers.

Thanks.

If snorkeling from shore, I highly recommend snorkel park. It's not a great beach for lying around on or for a dedicated beach day but it has excellent snorkeling.

It has a great coral reef, and they have made an S pattern of rocks out to the deep water.

Going to Bermuda on the Summit in July and want to do some snorkeling.

First question is, we are looking at the "Shipwreck Dives" The prices are similar if we go with the Excursion or just use Jesse James in Bermuda. Jesse James Cruise uses smaller <20 person boats, which we prefer. The Celebrity site doesn't say anything about the boat, and we don't want a big "party" catamaran. Love to hear from anyone who has done this.

If we don't do the boat dive, we will snorkel at one of the beaches. So recommendations / advice on snorkeling from shore is appreciated.

We are experienced snorkelers.

Thanks.

I've done the Jesse James cruise and loved it. They pick you up right near the ship. Also Church and Tobacco Bay are great for snorkeling.

I did the Celebrity shipwreck snorkel tour a few years ago. It was great. They did offer a rum punch on the return trip but not a party trip.

another option to snorkeling is SNUBA. They offered it at the beach where the Summit docks. We did it and it was fun.

We had reservations to do the catamaran sail-n-snorkel with Restless Native (Google them -- they have a great website). They take you to a secluded beach, where the snorkeling is supposed to be pretty good. You can bring your own snorkel gear, or they will provide it. They also have paddle board equipment available, I believe.

Sadly, when we arrived at Bermuda (last week of May), we encountered three days of gale force winds. Restless Native's owner/skipper, Zander, met us at the pier on the first day, and explained that the winds were too wicked to go out. He refunded any pre-paid reservations, and he also tried his best to reschedule us for another day. But, the winds got worse, instead of better -- so, we never got to go out on the big pink catamaran. :(

When we can get around to scheduling another cruise to Bermuda, going out on the Restless Native with Zander is at the very top of our "to do" list! :cool:

Edited by wwcruisers

My recommendations are Tobacco Bay and Church Bay. There's a review from someone just back from Bermuda with lots of pictures and far better than any I have. Here's the link showing TB starting with post #561. IMO, snorkeling is hard to beat at TB.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2221726&page=29

Church Bay is also a favorite place but it can get rough so you need to be careful. Also, it's not usually as crowded as some of the other beaches.

No one has yet mentioned this so I will, if you are experienced snorkelers you will be very disappointed in Bermuda snorkeling. Compared to the Caribbean or many other places in the world, it is terrible. We went on 2 different trips, one through the ship and one not and we saw very little. I just wanted to prepare you.

Been to Bermuda several times. The beaches are real nice and the sand is real special. If you are an experienced snorkeler, you may be disappointed. Also, play it safe in those waters. I enjoy riding on the mopeds except when the roads are damp!