QM2 TA New York to Southampton Sail Away

Curly locks

Hi everyone - sorry if this seems a silly question, but we'll be taking our first TA on QM2 in August. We haven't had our departure time from New York confirmed yet but I understand it won't be before 5pm. We really want to see the Statue of Liberty and go under the bridge that everyone talks about. Will we be able to do this, change for dinner and make our 6pm sitting in the Britannia restaurant? If anyone has experienced this I'd be grateful for your comments. Thank you in anticipation for your help and happy cruising!

Hi everyone - sorry if this seems a silly question, but we'll be taking our first TA on QM2 in August. We haven't had our departure time from New York confirmed yet but I understand it won't be before 5pm. We really want to see the Statue of Liberty and go under the bridge that everyone talks about. Will we be able to do this, change for dinner and make our 6pm sitting in the Britannia restaurant? If anyone has experienced this I'd be grateful for your comments. Thank you in anticipation for your help and happy cruising!

The answer to all your questions is yes.

Congratulations on making your first crossing. Have a wonderful time!

In my experience it might be tight. If they hold departure for a late-arriving flight from the UK (not unusual) you might pass under the bridge between 6:15 and 6:30. The last one or two times we've been on we passed under during dinner. If departure is on time you'll pass under before dinner.

You'll be able to see the statue when the ship is still docked. You get closer while moving into the middle of the harbor.

Edited by Underwatr

I have rarely seen departure on time. From the time you push off the pier it takes approx. 40 minutes to the bridge.

The Statue will be off the starboard side when you board and departures from Brooklyn do not get very close.

DSC01957.jpg.ef40bbfdafd96854b95cb95fa0613647.jpg

My suggestion is to make a quick change into whatever you want to wear for dinner when you take your life jackets back to your room after the drill. Then go to whatever deck that you want to use to see the statue and, hopefully, the exciting time when she slips under the Verazzano Bridge.

My suggestion is to make a quick change into whatever you want to wear for dinner when you take your life jackets back to your room after the drill. Then go to whatever deck that you want to use to see the statue and, hopefully, the exciting time when she slips under the Verazzano Bridge.

Excellent advice! We've been fortunate never having had to miss the big moment, but it's a good idea to be prepared so as not to feel rushed.

Thank you for the replies - hopefully we'll be able to do and see everything we want to before dinner, especially if we change after the lifeboat drill as suggested by Oahucruiser! :) As always, excellent advice and information from CC. Many thanks everyone.

Just a suggestion.If time is going to be close would it not be well worth it,just for the one night, missing the MDR.There are more nights but no more bridges.

Rodger.

Edited by foster269

I did this on QV on the last leg of her world cruise. Sailaway must have been about 6pm. I changed before then (ready for dancing in the evening) and went up top in flimsy clothing, feeling quite overdressed in terms of type of clothes but underdressed in terms of warm clothes.

Unfortunately the sun was setting somewhere in the direction of Lady Liberty, so photos were taken under the guess, point and shoot method. I was glad to get one decent photo. I stayed the extra half hour in order to see the bridge. I am so glad I did! It was well worth missing dinner in the main dining room. I went to the Lido for dinner afterwards.

Sometimes on a ship we have to choose between special experiences.

We really want to see the Statue of Liberty and go under the bridge that everyone talks about. Will we be able to do this, change for dinner and make our 6pm sitting in the Britannia restaurant?

Yes, but depending on when you leave exactly it will be tight.

We didn't depart until shortly after 5.20 pm and it took approximately 40 minutes until we went under the bridge (according to the time stamp in my pictures). You might want to consider wearing whatever you are planning to wear to dinner to departure and then just go straight down to the dining room. If you want to shower and change you will most likely not have enough time to make it to early seating.

What I have done with other cruise lines and would probably try on Cunard if sailaway would be really delayed would be to go down to the dining room right at 6 and let my tablemates/waiters know that I'll get an entree in Kings court and join the table for coffee and desert. You have until 6:30 to arrive so if you will go under the bridge much before that you will have time to go under the bridge before dinner, if your sailaway is seriously delayed you will have time to check in with the dining room and still be on deck for the bridge.

We've never been that late in any of my QM2 sailaways but that is what I would do if the occasion required

Roy