Wifi speed difference - Oasis vs. Freedom

Hello. I really need help on this issue. We have our first cruise scheduled on Freedom in November. How does the wifi speed on Freedom compare to the O3b speed on Oasis? DH needs to be able to teach a 4 hour video conferencing class from 6-10 on Thursday night with webcam. We have cruised on Oasis and know what the wifi speed is like and think we would be ok there. Not sure about Freedom. Has anyone else had a similar need for extensive wifi like this and how did it work out for you.

Thanks for any help.

Aside from the Speed you Need to Keep in mind, that there´s no 24/7 guarantee for Internet onboard a cruise ship.

These are satellite Connections and a lot of factors can cause outages at times.

I would certainly not risk having to have a 4 hour uninterrupted high Speed Internet Access on a cruise ship.

I have contacted RCI a few days ago about internet speeds on INDY, as we are booked to sale from the UK in May 2016.

The response I got was that there was no current plans to upgrade the current system on Freedom Class ships to the system that they are using on the Quantum Class. So as the previous poster said the speeds can be variable and from my experience it can be very slow at times and I think the bandwidth would struggle to cope with a live video feed.

Mark

Edited by Mark-Sheffield

Thanks guys. Looks like we will need to cancel our Freedom cruises. We've were looking forward to trying the Freedom, but work comes first.

Sorry to hear that. I did check with an officer on Freedom and he said that he did not know when the upgrade was being scheduled.

Thanks guys. Looks like we will need to cancel our Freedom cruises. We've were looking forward to trying the Freedom, but work comes first.

Sorry to hear, but it is the best decision considering your need for reliable internet. Even during our Oasis cruise with Voom! the internet was down for hours at a time for the last 2 days. On Freedom, the internet was sometimes good, sometimes more like dial up speed. :eek:

I got off the liberty and texting, emails, and social media were fine. I could not stream any video or conference. Does this o3b allow this?

People have reported being able to stream video on O3b.

Even on Quantum Class I don't think that you will be able to have a stable 4 hours video Upstream onboard.

If you are a student, a 5min interrupt won't be too bad - but as a teacher, this would be a problem.

We had wifi on Oasis last week. It was amazing. Better than my Wifi at home, LOL. We watched videos; my kids watched Netflix for movies at night. Loved it. (Never bought wifi packages before this trip. We only got the wifi package so kids and I could text via iMessage on the iPhones…so convenient to know where everyone was.)

We had wifi on Oasis last week. It was amazing. Better than my Wifi at home, LOL. We watched videos; my kids watched Netflix for movies at night. Loved it. (Never bought wifi packages before this trip. We only got the wifi package so kids and I could text via iMessage on the iPhones…so convenient to know where everyone was.)

Video streaming must not be mixed up with Video Conferencing! When you stream a video, quite a part of it will be downloaded in the background (as the movie is already "complete") so if your connection will be slower/interrupted you won't recognize it (it's called buffering, you might have come accross this word).

When you are holding a video conference, everything you do is live so no chance for a buffering except for some milliseconds - otherwise, there would be a "lag" between the people in the video chat. Therefore, if the internet connection speed will drop or interrupt, it will interrupt the live session very quickly. For live conference, your internet connection must be very reliable - being able to stream videos does not mean it is good for live conference.

So the OP was right in deciding that it will not be able on the Freedom (and maybe not on any cruise ship).

And so what are the packages offered? I was thinking I read $140 for the week for 2 devices. Now, does that mean 2 devices using the wifi at the same time or only 2 devices "registered" to use the wifi (for example, if I bring my phone and tablet, can they be the ONLY 2 devices that can use the wifi or, say for instance I'm on wifi on my phone and my DH wants to get on his phone - will he be able to)? When we sailed Celebrity, it didn't matter which device you were - just that you had bought wifi (minutes, package, whatever). And you logged on with your info regardless of what device you were using.

... Now, does that mean 2 devices using the wifi at the same time or only 2 devices "registered" to use the wifi (for example, if I bring my phone and tablet, can they be the ONLY 2 devices that can use the wifi or, say for instance I'm on wifi on my phone and my DH wants to get on his phone - will he be able to)?...

It means any two devices, as long as only two are logged in at the same time.

and so what are the packages offered? I was thinking i read $140 for the week for 2 devices. Now, does that mean 2 devices using the wifi at the same time or only 2 devices "registered" to use the wifi (for example, if i bring my phone and tablet, can they be the only 2 devices that can use the wifi or, say for instance i'm on wifi on my phone and my dh wants to get on his phone - will he be able to)? When we sailed celebrity, it didn't matter which device you were - just that you had bought wifi (minutes, package, whatever). And you logged on with your info regardless of what device you were using.

ImageUploadedByForums1435000011.828289.jpg.2397f7a9b19fda52ca7743c5f88897f5.jpg