ALL the INFO (in table form) on EXPERIENCES, MSC CLUB, SERVICE CHARGES etc. etc

Skier52

Does anyone know when the changes to the Fantastica package take effect? Taking my first MSC cruise this summer and booked a Fantastica Balcony which will include the Fantastica Drink Package as of Summer 2017.

My T/A had been told it takes effect on 5/27, but I saw a CC thread where others had said they believed it would take effect on 4/1. Since I had booked a 5/20/17 cruise, I wanted to clarify the date. I explained the information to my T/A who made a few phone calls, before eventually being told by her MSC representative that it takes effect on 4/1. I thought of checking my cruise reservation documents for a confirmation, but since the drink package would be a standard perk, it would not be listed as a separate line item (ie: stateroom credits are listed on a reservation).

Unfortunately, like other cruise lines, you can sometimes get conflicting information. I'm hoping 4/1 is correct.

I spent Christmas on the Divina, I had seen on my ticket info that hair straightener was not allowed so I called MSC. I was told that it was allowed so I packed it in my large bag. No problems at all! I think they need to revive the information sheet

It may be that hair straighteners are permitted, but it's also possible that Guest Services provided wrong information (it happens with cruise line customer service, and I am not sure one way or another). On the bright side, if someone packs a forbidden item, MSC would have to find it in the luggage. If found, I believe the guest is summoned to remove the item for subsequent storage until the end of the cruise. At least, that has been the story when some guests have caught packing an iron.

:)

Does anyone know when the changes to the Fantastica package take effect? Taking my first MSC cruise this summer and booked a Fantastica Balcony which will include the Fantastica Drink Package as of Summer 2017.

Would love to pin down a date.

Thanks

I know I am being lazy or stupid but can you give me a link to where it states the changed to the fantastica experience. I have tried to find it but failed.

Do you know if this is a worldwide change or geographical eg only applies to US

Edited by Aulanis

We have a cruise coming up on Sinfonia next May from Cape Town to Venice (Grand Voyage).

One of the perks we got for booking is the Forfait mealtimes drinks package. This entitles us to drinks of our choice during meal times in both the dining room and buffet area. Obviously we want to take advantage of this as much as possible. I heard they serve meals for up to 20 hours a day so we could theoretically sit in the buffet and drink, nibbling on food:D:D:D Not sure if there are restrictions on how long we can be in the buffet.

I rang MSC in Australia to see if we could upgrade to Allegrissimo as we wanted total flexibility on when and where we have a drink. The answer was no, we have to pay full price to purchase Allegrissimo:(

Is it worth pursuing this or have I been given the correct information. Really wanted to sort this before we board to avoid the additional 15%.

I was on the Divina (Caribbean) in December, and had obtained the Forfait Mealtime Package as part of a free promotion (no charge to me). Once aboard the ship, I asked if I could upgrade the package, but was told no (you may want to ask anyway - it cannot hurt). Gratuities are included in prepaid and complimentary drink packages (at least they are on the Divina in the Caribbean).

As previously mentioned, beverages are available from the buffet and Main Dining Room (MDR) during published lunch and dinner times. What that means is, if lunch is listed in the Daily Planner as 12 Noon - 3PM, you can get beverages in the buffet between Noon and 3PM. If you opt for lunch in the MDR at 1PM, you are able to get beverages at the buffet before lunch in the MDR. You are also able to get more beverages at the buffet after enjoying your MDR lunch, provided you do so by the stated time (in this case, 3PM).

When it comes to dinner, depending on the itinerary, the buffet can often start serving dinner earlier than the MDR, and can also end dinner earlier, as well. During our December cruise, dinner in the buffet was 5:30PM - 9:30PM, while dinner in the MDR was listed as 6PM for 1st seating and 8:30 for 2nd seating (myChoice was listed as 6PM - 9:30PM). We were in 2nd seating, which enabled us to obtain beverages from the buffet (beginning at 5:30PM) prior to our schedule MDR seating, as well as beverages in the MDR during our 2nd dinner seating. We were also able to obtain beverages after 9:30PM during our 2nd MDR seating, but I am not sure if there was a specific cut-off time, or "last call."

The Forfait Mealtime Package (to become "Cheers" in the Caribbean later this year) indicates that beverages are available in the buffet and MDR's (but not in specialty dining venues). During our cruise, we opted for dining at three specialty dining restaurants. While at one restaurant, we asked if we could utilize our beverage package, and was told, "of course," which seems to go against what is stated in the package.

While on the subject of beverages, we had obtained Black Card loyalty match, which provided us with two bottles of Prosecco. Shoreside Customer Service had told us that we were not permitted to take the Prosecco outside of our stateroom. We opted to bring a bottle to a different specialty dining restaurant, which was quickly chilled and served to us without issue, and without surcharge or gratuity. We brought the second bottle to the MDR on another night, which was also quickly chilled and served to us without issue, and without surcharge or gratuity.

I know I am being lazy or stupid but can you give me a link to where it states the changed to the fantastica experience. I have tried to find it but failed. Do you know if this is a worldwide change or geographical eg only applies to US

This link is from MSC Cruises USA. Scroll down to FOOD & DRINKS, and make sure you read the footnote (*****). I cannot say whether this applies to regions outside of the Caribbean.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/compare-experiences.aspx

I was on the Divina (Caribbean) in December, and had obtained the Forfait Mealtime Package as part of a free promotion (no charge to me). Once aboard the ship, I asked if I could upgrade the package, but was told no (you may want to ask anyway - it cannot hurt). Gratuities are included in prepaid and complimentary drink packages (at least they are on the Divina in the Caribbean).

As previously mentioned, beverages are available from the buffet and Main Dining Room (MDR) during published lunch and dinner times. What that means is, if lunch is listed in the Daily Planner as 12 Noon - 3PM, you can get beverages in the buffet between Noon and 3PM. If you opt for lunch in the MDR at 1PM, you are able to get beverages at the buffet before lunch in the MDR. You are also able to get more beverages at the buffet after enjoying your MDR lunch, provided you do so by the stated time (in this case, 3PM).

When it comes to dinner, depending on the itinerary, the buffet can often start serving dinner earlier than the MDR, and can also end dinner earlier, as well. During our December cruise, dinner in the buffet was 5:30PM - 9:30PM, while dinner in the MDR was listed as 6PM for 1st seating and 8:30 for 2nd seating (myChoice was listed as 6PM - 9:30PM). We were in 2nd seating, which enabled us to obtain beverages from the buffet (beginning at 5:30PM) prior to our schedule MDR seating, as well as beverages in the MDR during our 2nd dinner seating. We were also able to obtain beverages after 9:30PM during our 2nd MDR seating, but I am not sure if there was a specific cut-off time, or "last call."

The Forfait Mealtime Package (to become "Cheers" in the Caribbean later this year) indicates that beverages are available in the buffet and MDR's (but not in specialty dining venues). During our cruise, we opted for dining at three specialty dining restaurants. While at one restaurant, we asked if we could utilize our beverage package, and was told, "of course," which seems to go against what is stated in the package.

While on the subject of beverages, we had obtained Black Card loyalty match, which provided us with two bottles of Prosecco. Shoreside Customer Service had told us that we were not permitted to take the Prosecco outside of our stateroom. We opted to bring a bottle to a different specialty dining restaurant, which was quickly chilled and served to us without issue, and without surcharge or gratuity. We brought the second bottle to the MDR on another night, which was also quickly chilled and served to us without issue, and without surcharge or gratuity.

Thanks for the info Steven & Donna

This link is from MSC Cruises USA. Scroll down to FOOD & DRINKS, and make sure you read the footnote (*****). I cannot say whether this applies to regions outside of the Caribbean.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/compare-experiences.aspx

Hi Thanks that is great! MSC UK website appears to be down so I cant see the corresponding page there. I will update on here when/if I find it. I hate the way MSC have different offers for different ships or even the same ship in different places. eg package on us sailings to the caribbean but not on cruises that "start" in Barbados.

Edit LATER well as I suspected - its the same old story one set for US and another for UK

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/en-gb/compare-experiences.aspx

Its the same with water in the dining room on european cruises - US guests now get unlimited water UK Guests have to pay for battled water tap water being "unavailable". MSC have a theory that European guests are USED to paying for water with their meals ( that is because in many places in europe the water still seems to be not potable.)

In the UK a restauant HAS to provide yap water when asked.

http://www.ccwater.org.uk/waterissues/currentkeywaterissues/tapwaterinrestaurants/

Maybe it will change by April 18

Edited by Aulanis
more info

... I hate the way MSC have different offers for different ships or even the same ship in different places ...

Its the same with water in the dining room on european cruises - US guests now get unlimited water UK Guests have to pay for battled water tap water being "unavailable". MSC have a theory that European guests are USED to paying for water with their meals ( that is because in many places in europe the water still seems to be not potable.)

Many operators have offices in different countries or regions which offer different promotions, standards, pricing and rules. So while someone may have to pay for water in one region, it may not be typical for guests to expect or want water with dinner. Also, in some of these areas, pricing for that cruise may be cheaper when booked via a European agency, as compared to a US agency.

Friends of ours live in Europe and are sailing with us on a Caribbean Seaside cruise. We both booked our cruise at the same time. We booked our cruise in the US, and can cancel the cruise with no penalty up to 76 days prior to embarkation. Our friends booked their cruise in Europe and cannot cancel without full penalty ... but they have a different price.

• 2 weeks later...
Are any of the fantastica balcony cabins larger than the rest? Do you know of any tricks to get a bigger cabin or upgrade? Also, is there a specific deck or cabin you would recommend? Thank you so much!

All the cabins are the same size, except the "H" (Special needs), and the only difference is some of the balconies are larger.

Deck 10 and 11 aft cabins have much larger balconies, as do some of the cabins next to the "hump" walls, nut they have limited fields of view (90 degrees and not a full 180 degrees)

I would avoids deck 12 and 13 cabins which are in the recessed areas and on the central hump as they are affected by the deck 14 overhang. Cabins on the forward and rear humps are mostly OK. The ones closest to the front of the ship , especially decks 8, 9, 10 have metal "in-hull" balconies.

As for upgrades I suggest praying to your chosen God, as their is no logic in how MSC allocate upgrades

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Actually, it is 10040. Is this a good one? What does aft mean? Could you tell me number ranges that you would recommend please? THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

10040 is in fact one of the good fantastica balcony cabins .

it is the first of the completely Plexiglas balconies after the metal balconies on the front hump.

it is only bettered by the cabins (deck 10,11 and 12) across the stern (aft cabins) which have the huge balconies. or the balconies next to the hump walls , (which together total about 44 cabins) so you 've got one of the top 50 fantastica cabins, there are hundreds not as good

A list of desirable cabins would be my list which would not be everybody's list. eg some folks don't like aft cabins so apart from that it would take ages to type so i'll have to say sorry to a numerical list.

I would stick with what you've got. a balcony cabin unaffected by

a)lifeboats

b) metal balconies

c) the deck 14 overhang

d) limited field of view.

Pete

10040 is in fact one of the good fantastica balcony cabins .

it is the first of the completely Plexiglas balconies after the metal balconies on the front hump.

it is only bettered by the cabins (deck 10,11 and 12) across the stern (aft cabins) which have the huge balconies. or the balconies next to the hump walls , (which together total about 44 cabins) so you 've got one of the top 50 fantastica cabins, there are hundreds not as good

A list of desirable cabins would be my list which would not be everybody's list. eg some folks don't like aft cabins so apart from that it would take ages to type so i'll have to say sorry to a numerical list.

I would stick with what you've got. a balcony cabin unaffected by

a)lifeboats

b) metal balconies

c) the deck 14 overhang

d) limited field of view.

Pete

PETE,

Goodness no! I would not want you to make a comprehensive list, lol. But because I do not understand the terms you use like aft and stern etc, I was hoping you could say for example: cabins 10020 - 10040 and the same ones on the other side of the ship, etc. I hope you don't feel like I am unappreciative because just what you said about our assigned cabin is helpful!! Again, thank you so much.

PETE,

Goodness no! I would not want you to make a comprehensive list, lol. But because I do not understand the terms you use like aft and stern etc, I was hoping you could say for example: cabins 10020 - 10040 and the same ones on the other side of the ship, etc. I hope you don't feel like I am unappreciative because just what you said about our assigned cabin is helpful!! Again, thank you so much.

OK MY list for fantastica balconies

(s/b = starboard; p = port)

DECK 9 s/b 9140 - 9150 ; 9228 - 9248

DECK 9 p 9142 -9159 ; 9227 - 9247

DECK 10 s/b 10040 - 10076 ; 10142 - 10154 ; 10220 - 10240

DECK 10 p 10041 - 10083 ; 10157 - 10169 ; 10235 - 10255

DECK 10 aft 10254 - 10262 ; 10271 - 10279

DECK 11 s/b 11030 - 11080 ; 11146 - 11158 ; 11226 - 11250

DECK 11 p 11033 - 11097 ; 11181 - 11193 ; 11261 - 11286

DECK 11 aft 11262 - 11270 ; 11297 - 11305

DECK 12 s/b 12222 - 12250

DECK 12 p 12245 - 12273

DECK 12 aft 12258 - 12266 ; 12281 - 12289

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I would avoids deck 12 and 13 cabins which are in the recessed areas and on the central hump as they are affected by the deck 14 overhang.

I disagree on some of this. While I agree that fully recessed verandas on deck 13 will yield a lower level of natural sunlight at the hands of deck 14 overhang (see first picture), I do not believe recessed verandas on deck 12 should categorically be avoided. This does not mean that recessed verandas on deck 12 do not get adequate light. On the plus side, deck 14 overhang provides deck 12 & 13 recessed verandas with a natural buffer to most inclement weather.

934215855_o.jpg

I sailed in stateroom #12093 on the Divina (similar to Splendida, I believe), which is located at the hump. We thoroughly enjoyed its huge, oversized veranda, which provides 90 degree views of the port side, as well as enhanced aft views. The staterooms on the hump also tend to provide some unique vantage points of the promenade deck, which can provide scale and a unique perspective in photography.

934215830_o.jpg

934215815_o.jpg

934215800_o.jpg

934215789_o.jpg

934215746_o.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Forgive me if this has already been answered. I did try to read through all the post, but my 12 yr old kept saying, "Hey mom ......." LOL Yes, I have had divided attention while reading. I was curious about the loyalty program. I did not see a breakdown as to when you would move into the next category. When would you move into silver, gold, etc? Thank you for your answer.

Forgive me if this has already been answered. I did try to read through all the post, but my 12 yr old kept saying, "Hey mom ......." LOL Yes, I have had divided attention while reading. I was curious about the loyalty program. I did not see a breakdown as to when you would move into the next category. When would you move into silver, gold, etc? Thank you for your answer.

This might help https://www.msccruises.com.au/en-au/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

I dont know if this has been asked before but I have been on quite a few threads and not seen mention.

On our caribbean sailing on the Poesia it was noticable that there were no chairs or beds on the Promenade deck. On other ships we have sought this out as a quiet place in the shade to sit and read , do puzzles play cards and so on. On the Poesia we had to go to the pool deck which was fairly crowded, fairly noisy and sometimes hard to get a seat in the shade or sit inside in one of the lounges.

So the question is for those who have been on a few MSC cruises do the other ships have this no seats on the promenade deck idea.

In the pics earlier in the thread the deck looks to be empty on that ship?

Thanks Bea - I have just googled this ( dont know why I didnt before - doh! Looks like it is a safety issue to do with the lifeboats and also being embraced by other cruise lines. I see one cynic (like me) thought it was to move passengers to a sales venue.;)

https://tomscruiseblog.co.uk/2015/12/11/the-end-of-the-promenade-deck-as-we-know-it/