Permission to Travel with 18 year old?

createmem

We have always needed a permission to travel letter for my daughter whenever we cruise from her dad (who is a non custodial parent.) We leave next Sunday, and now that she is 18 and has an adult passport, do we still need that letter? She is traveling with me, but is legally an adult under the US government definition.

Thanks!!!

Tricia

We have always needed a permission to travel letter for my daughter whenever we cruise from her dad (who is a non custodial parent.) We leave next Sunday, and now that she is 18 and has an adult passport, do we still need that letter? She is traveling with me, but is legally an adult under the US government definition.

Thanks!!!

Tricia

No. As an adult she is free to travel wherever she wants.

In reality the letter was not even needed when she was a minor. It is only " strongly suggested ". Legally even you do not have custody of your daughter any more as she is now 18.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

Edited by n6uqqq

I'm about to take my 5 year old on his second cruise in two weeks. My TA told me I would need a notarized letter from his mother even though I have joint custody and my son has the same last name as me. I didn't need that on his first cruise (wasn't carnival). I called Carnival and they told me that they didn't require it. It was just recommended to protect me if she were to say that I was taking him without her permission. I could get the letter, although it is sometimes a hassle for me to get her to bring me my son with shoes on his feet, so I'm not going to bother.

I'm about to take my 5 year old on his second cruise in two weeks. My TA told me I would need a notarized letter from his mother even though I have joint custody and my son has the same last name as me. I didn't need that on his first cruise (wasn't carnival). I called Carnival and they told me that they didn't require it. It was just recommended to protect me if she were to say that I was taking him without her permission. I could get the letter, although it is sometimes a hassle for me to get her to bring me my son with shoes on his feet, so I'm not going to bother.

They never questioned me once. We have the same last name as well.