Comments/Facts on March 2015 Insignia world cruise by a current passenger

Suesl

Your arguments might have some validity, EXCEPT that the few facts that the OP admits to having had before booking the Cruise (reread Post #1), tell us that she researched the wrong ship and the wrong Cruise Line.

Most likely, she thought that she would be sailing on this ship:

With that in mind, I can't think how you could possibly use her opinions of Oceania as a true gauge.

The issues raised by the OP that concern me are (1) the repeat entertainment and (2) the impact on world cruisers during "turnaround" days for the segments. I do not really see anything in the Oceania documents that warns me of that so without the OP I could have made the same mistake.

Sorry, it was my perception, rather than yours, that the OP was, sadly, disappointed - because expectations were not met, as we both agree. I think the difficulty here lies with the balance of responsibility. I do agree also that this thread will assist others.

I was most surprised by your statement that "The only real facts are those presented by the OP."

The "facts" I was speaking to was the OP's expectations and how they were created. I get a lot of Oceania advertising - email, mailings, and even phone calls - so I do understand how expectations could be created.

The "facts" I was speaking to was the OP's expectations and how they were created. I get a lot of Oceania advertising - email, mailings, and even phone calls - so I do understand how expectations could be created.

And I was speaking to the actual fact that the OP chose to disregard what she'd been told about the lack of entertainment and chose to believe that all cruise lines had ballroom dancing lessons. I've had my fair share of Oceania advertising and don't recall ever seeing ballroom dancing lessons mentioned. I feel, and I could be wrong, that the OP created her own expectations despite what she'd heard about Oceania. That's hardly the fault or indeed the responsibility of the cruise line. Would you not agree?

Oceania is requiring lifeboat drills every 2 weeks on my recent longer cruises. No vests on my 2nd go around. Did they relax on the 180?

We were on (gasp) Viking Ocean. No vests in the room. B2Bs didn't have to attend the second or subsequent drills.

And I was speaking to the actual fact that the OP chose to disregard what she'd been told about the lack of entertainment and chose to believe that all cruise lines had ballroom dancing lessons. I've had my fair share of Oceania advertising and don't recall ever seeing ballroom dancing lessons mentioned. I feel, and I could be wrong, that the OP created her own expectations despite what she'd heard about Oceania. That's hardly the fault or indeed the responsibility of the cruise line. Would you not agree?

My agreement with the OP is on the points (1) the repeat of the entertainment (specifically the welcome onboard show) each segment and (2) the disruption encountered by world cruise passengers during "turnaround" days for the segments. Those, in my opinion, are legitimate issues you would not expect to encounter by the way Oceania advertises and books longer cruises.

I would never expect any specific type of entertainment, lessons, enrichment, or any other specific activity (so long as there was some activity) on a cruise so I am not defending the OP's position on ballroom dancing.

I think that means I am agreeing with you.

My agreement with the OP is on the points (1) the repeat of the entertainment (specifically the welcome onboard show) each segment and (2) the disruption encountered by world cruise passengers during "turnaround" days for the segments. Those, in my opinion, are legitimate issues you would not expect to encounter by the way Oceania advertises and books longer cruises.

I would never expect any specific type of entertainment, lessons, enrichment, or any other specific activity (so long as there was some activity) on a cruise so I am not defending the OP's position on ballroom dancing.

I think that means I am agreeing with you.

Thank you.

I have to say that the welcome on board show on my previous cruise was so dire that I didn't even go to the first of those on the World Cruise and I certainly wouldn't have gone to subsequent ones, although since the OP referred to them as "things to come" they may have differed slightly in content :). I just feel that a show telling me how great it is to be cruising on Oceania is a waste of my time. And repetition wouldn't have made me feel better. But do you just ignore the segmenters whose presence is making the cruise viable?

One of the things I thought was really charming was that at the planning stages for this World Cruise, before the fire, a poster called seasoned set up meet and greet sessions for each segment to welcome the newbies on board.

As far as I can make out, turnarounds happened on 4 subsequent ports, viz. Shanghai, Sydney, Papeete and Los Angeles. That's 4 days out of a total of 108 where I'd have missed afternoon tea and had a shortened breakfast time. I miss afternoon tea on most port days so that's not a deal breaker for me, and a reduced breakfast time I could live with. Logistical problems, ie running out of things, which the OP mentioned can happen on any cruise and is surely highly likely on a lengthy one. People do their best to predict what will be needed but these things happen. Last year they ran out of English Breakfast Tea!

The cruisers had to get off the boat in Los Angeles. Someone suggested this might have had to do with US Immigration.

So, knowing that World Cruises have segments and also that Oceania entertainment is widely regarded as lacking everyone can now make an informed decision.

One of the things I would like to have heard about was the special events laid on for World a Cruisers. Despite my asking the question the OP hasn't replied, perhaps to keep the element of surprise for the next batch of World Cruisers.

Thank you.

I have to say that the welcome on board show on my previous cruise was so dire that I didn't even go to the first of those on the World Cruise and I certainly wouldn't have gone to subsequent ones, although since the OP referred to them as "things to come" they may have differed slightly in content :). I just feel that a show telling me how great it is to be cruising on Oceania is a waste of my time. And repetition wouldn't have made me feel better. But do you just ignore the segmenters whose presence is making the cruise viable?

One of the things I thought was really charming was that at the planning stages for this World Cruise, before the fire, a poster called seasoned set up meet and greet sessions for each segment to welcome the newbies on board.

As far as I can make out, turnarounds happened on 4 subsequent ports, viz. Shanghai, Sydney, Papeete and Los Angeles. That's 4 days out of a total of 108 where I'd have missed afternoon tea and had a shortened breakfast time. I miss afternoon tea on most port days so that's not a deal breaker for me, and a reduced breakfast time I could live with. Logistical problems, ie running out of things, which the OP mentioned can happen on any cruise and is surely highly likely on a lengthy one. People do their best to predict what will be needed but these things happen. Last year they ran out of English Breakfast Tea!

The cruisers had to get off the boat in Los Angeles. Someone suggested this might have had to do with US Immigration.

So, knowing that World Cruises have segments and also that Oceania entertainment is widely regarded as lacking everyone can now make an informed decision.

One of the things I would like to have heard about was the special events laid on for World a Cruisers. Despite my asking the question the OP hasn't replied, perhaps to keep the element of surprise for the next batch of World Cruisers.

Fair summary - thanks for posting your perspective.