Comments/Facts on March 2015 Insignia world cruise by a current passenger

Suesl

Suesl

I have been reading your report with interest. The thing I am taken by was I expected the world cruise to have a different style than the regular trips, your description sounds like a long string of B2B trips. I was thinking more along the lines of the way the Crystal WC was described, in fact on their board the "segmenters" are the ones feeling left out. Thanks for taking the time to post.

First, this was always a cruise for segmenters. FDR expected to sell perhaps 20 cabins to full world cruisers! The fact that we far exceeded that is a testament to Oceania cruise style, but at the peak, there was no way that full world cruisers were going to fill Insignia. I bless and thank the segmenters for making the world cruise possible for die hards like me.

Second, while I have yet to experience it despite the nearly two year wait so far, I fully expect the world cruise to differ from a "regular" cruise in many, subtle ways. For starters, we will certainly get to know the crew, and the crew us, in ways only a few Diamond level cruisers have experienced. That kind of familiarity will certainly result in some special moments. Then, there are the scheduled special events and the promised special parties, etc. that will set the cruise apart. Finally, there is the camaraderie with fellow guests that can only be reinforced over that much time. We've already made very special friends with several folks on the Roll Call, and can't wait to meet face to face. Sure, that happens on regular cruises, too, but not to the extent that has appeared so far.

I'm not certain how anyone could have developed an expectation that this world cruise is anything but what it is; the segment turnover days are well documented, and the segment folks were, and are, on the same Roll Call with full world cruisers (apparently that is not so regarding the World Odyssey starting this July 8, where separate Roll Calls were started for various segments).

Mainstream cruises plow back and forth every week to the same ports; there is no tradition of back-to-back cruises, Oceania ships have almost always been on an odyssey of sorts, moving from one connected itinerary to the next. The world cruise is just the ultimate extension of that history, nothing else. The primary thing that sets it off for us is that we are getting to visit far away places without flying, and at what we consider a bargain once all the perks are figured in.

Any experienced cruiser should understand that, regardless of the number of segmenters (a few or a lot), there will always be segments on a world cruise, meaning there will always be repeated shows and repeated menus. Unless the ship is 100% world cruisers, it can't be any other way. I believe the OP's previous was on HAL; I don't think any HAL world cruise has extended as long as the original 180 days.

One wonders why some people are so defensive of Oceania. They lay the entire blame on the cruisers who find Oceania to be lacking in some areas. Reasons they give - the cruisers 'should have known'; and, Oceania's way IS their loyal Oceania cruisers' way. So they say: if one finds anything not to one's liking, blame oneself. Do not say anything negative about their favorite cruiseline.

Suesl,

The blame does entirely lie with you for not researching Oceania cruise line properly before investing in such a huge commitment as a world cruise - both in terms of time and money.

If one is not familiar with a particular cruise line with first hand experience, it is wiser to take one or a few short cruises to see if their style of cruising appeals to you. Speaking for myself, I cannot even imagine taking a world cruise on a cruise line that I have never cruised on before.

We have cruised on just about every cruise line, big and small and some even no longer in business, and thus would be in a very good position to choose the right one for us for a world cruise (if I was ever inclined to take one). Princess (or Celebrity or HAL or even Silversea) may be fine for a short cruise because of the itinerary but I know we would not be happy on any of these for an extended cruise because their style of cruising, while popular with many, would not suit us. I like the look and the itineraries on Ponant cruises but would never take a world cruise with them before experiencing them for myself - no matter what the brochure or my TA stated. I don't know why you would think that Oceania would magically transform into HAL for its world cruise rather than remain basic Oceania. This would be generally the case for any other cruise line on a world cruise with minor adjustments (as described by Don and others)..

You made a mistake based on unfounded assumption and expectations and want to blame the cruise line instead of blaming yourself for not researching a huge trip such as a world cruise properly.

Yes, I accept your passing the information about Oceania's world cruise to others for future information but not the blame for for your disappointment.

Others will read your opinion and your impressions of O's world cruise - which is exactly the purpose of this forum.

Then they will make their own decision if this type of a cruise is fine with them (after comparing your WC experience with that of others on O's WC) - and that is just as it should be.

Edited by Paulchili

A world cruise should be special in all aspects. Oceania has some production shows that run on each trip. If the same one was run 20 times on my WC I would be disappointed also as a example. This is something that can only be found out by going. If after the first few segments all was a repeat shipboard life would get really boring.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Edited by hypercafe

one wonders why some people are so defensive of oceania. They lay the entire blame on the cruisers who find oceania to be lacking in some areas. Reasons they give - the cruisers 'should have known'; and, oceania's way is their loyal oceania cruisers' way. So they say: If one finds anything not to one's liking, blame oneself. Do not say anything negative about their favorite cruiseline.

+1000

One wonders why some people are so defensive of Oceania. They lay the entire blame on the cruisers who find Oceania to be lacking in some areas. Reasons they give - the cruisers 'should have known'; and, Oceania's way IS their loyal Oceania cruisers' way. So they say: if one finds anything not to one's liking, blame oneself. Do not say anything negative about their favorite cruiseline.

You certainly are entitled to your opinions. You think everyone should be able to make a perfect decision whether to cruise with a cruiseline or not, based on what one reads on the message boards. Fine. I am relating my first hand experience on Oceania's first 'world cruise', so people who wish to cruise the world with Oceania might have something to consider. Is that so horrible that the same subject matter is raised again - actually, this is NOT the same, because this is about Oceania's first world cruise. Has anyone related his/her Oceania world cruise experience prior to Oceania's first world cruise? Back to back cruises are not world cruise.

I agree. Not only are they defensive, they are arrogant. Oceania is just another business. Not unlike Carnival, Safeway, or Whole Foods, they are just targeting a market segment to show a profit. One is not better than another, it is just different. One who cruises Carnival just likes things a bit different. They are not inferior. Get Over It.

It's just another Cruise that happens to last longer and go to more ports.

I understand your and Oceania view on a WC. But for me to spend six months on a ship where it would be a repeat after the first few weeks on board would not be what I would look for. I would rather spend my money on a line that would make a 50k plus trip special.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I understand your and Oceania view on a WC. But for me to spend six months on a ship where it would be a repeat after the first few weeks on board would not be what I would look for. I would rather spend my money on a line that would make a 50k plus trip special.

And, I hope you find it. But, it's not Oceania, and venting about it on this forum is not going to change anything. The OP was diappointed because she did not do due diligence. The situation is now clear for anyone reading this. Final payment for the 2016 cruise us next week; anyone who is booked and agrees with you has time to cancel. Is that arrogance? No, it's reality.

A world cruise should be special in all aspects. Oceania has some production shows that run on each trip. If the same one was run 20 times on my WC I would be disappointed also as a example. This is something that can only be found out by going. If after the first few segments all was a repeat shipboard life would get really boring.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Are you suggesting that the production crew learn 30 different shows to perform on the world cruise? Or bring in a new production team for every other segment? Can you imagine the logistics of this - bringing new crew and their costumes, props every other segment to remote parts of the world? Besides,what production company would want to work with a cruise line on a monthly/bimonthly contract?

I can see having different entertainers for the segments but how would you change the production shows?

If you went on the world cruise for the entertainment, the cruise would most likely be boring on ANY cruise line.

Most people do a world cruise for the destinations and go to Vegas or NYC for the shows.

A WC is obviously not for everyone - many things will repeat by necessity and if one cannot live with that, one should not do it. I love cruising and seeing as many places as I can but I would not do a WC on ANY cruise line (not even Oceania :D) for many reasons - repetition of food and programs are but a few of those.

Edited by Paulchili

What I am suggesting is that if you are selling a 180 day trip it should not be a shipboard repeat of the first few weeks over and over. Each of us take a trip for different reasons. Just because you feel entertainment is not important does not mean others have the same opion. It is not up to me to solve the logistics of running a 180 day trip for the line, it is their job to please me.

And, I hope you find it. But, it's not Oceania, and venting about it on this forum is not going to change anything. The OP was diappointed because she did not do due diligence. The situation is now clear for anyone reading this. Final payment for the 2016 cruise us next week; anyone who is booked and agrees with you has time to cancel. Is that arrogance? No, it's reality.

I am happy you are finally getting to go. I find it odd that a person like you that is into this for around 100k is OK with it not being treated as a special trip, that it is just a long string of b2b,s going to different places. Thank goodness we all have many choices how we chose to use our time.

Does O not do special events in certain ports or in different venues for the full world cruisers? My only experience on a world cruise was on Seabourn and there were many events we had just for world cruisers which made the experience more unique.

I have no dog in this fight

I am curious as to how other World Cruises go

Do you have to book for the full cruise ??

So the whole ship is only World cruisers?

I noticed some other posters on the same cruise said there were special events for the RTW cruisers so did the OP not get invited or just chose not to go?

I can understand if you are on for 3-6 mth with the same weekly shows I would go stark raving mad :eek:

When we do longer cruises we just skip some of the shows but our longest cruise has been 32 days

Just curious

Lyn

What I am suggesting is that if you are selling a 180 day trip it should not be a shipboard repeat of the first few weeks over and over. Each of us take a trip for different reasons. Just because you feel entertainment is not important does not mean others have the same opion. It is not up to me to solve the logistics of running a 180 day trip for the line, it is their job to please me.

I think entertainment IS important and we ALWAYS go to the shows (and even like them, unlike the majority on these boards).

Oceania is selling a 180 day trip but it is your job to find out what this trip will be like and what specifically will be part of it.

Did Oceania promise a different entertainment for 180 days without repetitions and not deliver on that promise? I don't believe that is the case.

As I mentioned before, one of the many reasons I would not go on a WC is because of the repetition of many things - like food and entertainment. If one is not willing to see the same entertainment over and over, then one should not take a WC (or take it on a different cruise line that will offer more choices; or spend the money elsewhere).

It is not Oceania's job to please YOU (or me) as individuals - it is their job to please their customers as a whole. But it is the customer's responsibility to inquire in great detail what will be offered on the WC and if promises (by the cruise line) are not honored, then one should be upset (and this includes ALL things, not just entertainment). If, on the other hand, one just makes assumptions about what a WC, as opposed to B2B cruises, should be like in their own opinion (or based on their experience from other cruise lines) then one has no one to blame but themselves for not finding out more details about this particular WC.

I've said enough on this subject - we just have to agree to disagree on this topic. We all have the right to have and express our opinions and expectations and they are likely to vary from person to person.

Edited by Paulchili

May I ask the OP for an opinion on the special events for World Cruisers, eg the Thai evening in Bangkok, the lunch at the Great Wall and the evening on the Battleship Missouri?

Did you enjoy any of the acts that were brought on board eg Terry Bishop, Audio Vixen, Livewire, Chris Powley?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Do you remember the ports that had shuttles ?

That information would be very valuable now that we are planing to take the cruise for next year.

Thanks,

Noemi

I was interested to read about 2015 and 2016 world cruises and the segments on CC. It seems that most offer segments of varying lengths. An anomaly is a Princess cruise that has a short one and a long segment of 94 days, according to the article.

See http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

Unfortunately the red herrings of ballroom dancing and no tea time damaged the message that Suesi was trying to convey.

I believe her point is that with segments, there are some downsides: turnaround days break up routines and may shorten shoreside time, that there will be repeat of entertainment and menus. (And probably a few other issues on this were validly made.)

I am on two segments (44 days) and really looking forward to the exotic ports we will visit. Less than 2 months now!

I was interested to read about 2015 and 2016 world cruises and the segments on CC. It seems that most offer segments of varying lengths. An anomaly is a Princess cruise that has a short one and a long segment of 94 days, according to the article.

See http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=514

Most world cruises on other lines can run from 90 to 121 days

So it may be easier to sell those with no segments

some people can take a 3-4 mth cruise as opposed to a 6 mth one .... that is a real commitment

Most world cruises on other lines can run from 90 to 121 days

So it may be easier to sell those with no segments

some people can take a 3-4 mth cruise as opposed to a 6 mth one .... that is a real commitment

That is an excellent point and a major difference between O's WC and others.

It is twice as long as most WCs.

The OP makes legitimate points in that (1) a "World Cruise" should be more than a collection of segments and (2) a "World Cruise" should not reset every couple of weeks due to boarding a new set of passengers. I understand that some folks will get on and off but they should be few and far between. Seems to me that Oceania is simply doing cruise segments that - if you stay on long enough - just happens to go around the world. Oceania should make it very clear in the marketing that is it not a true world cruise.

I thank the OP for posting as this is important information to consider when booking.