Confessions of a clothesaholic

comfortcove

Okay ladies, I was just in my closet beginning to choose clothes for 10 night Oct 2 Jewel cruise out of Boston. Let me preface this by saying the itinerary includes the Caribbean, Bermuda and a post stay in Boston, so there a couple of different climates and dress situations involved. Is this too outrageous, and is there anything I'm overlooking? I have only been on 7 nighters in the past, so please help me out:

The basics, such as workout attire, undies, nighties

4 bathing suits, 3 coverups

5 dresses (I love to dress for dinner and it turns hubby on)

2 casual sun dresses

3 skirts, 1 is print,1 is a shorter type jean skirt, 1 cool swirly, full khaki

1 long black pants

1 jacket, can be worn with lots of stuff

1 evening wrap

3 capris

2 shorts

10 tops, some dressy, some casual

8 shoes

3 evening bags

1 Tommy Bahama sweatshirt type pullover

A couple of bottles of adult beverages

So, is this over the top, or about in line. Any advice appreciated. Thanks, Nancy

Hi, I'm Marj and I'm a clothesaholic! Your list looks just fine to me, maybe even kind of light. I'd probably put more stuff in mine:D . If its 10 days, I'd have 13 or 14 shirts. I'd probably have at least a combination of 8 shorts/skirts for daytime wear. I'd also have a different outfit for every evening. I don't believe in that mix and max, rewear thing (maybe the skirt or slacks one rewear), nor do I do laundry on vacation. Also, don't forget underwear. I also pack extra because I find that if i go to the gym or shore, I may shower more than once a day so I use more panties.

Ultimately I love to have choices and don't want to be locked into a specific outfit or re-wears, so I pack plenty. Take what you want and enjoy!

Hi, I am Nancy and I live in Virginia. I completely agree with you about no laundry, may send some out, and the fun of having choices. Why do we have all these clothes and shoes if we can't enjoy them on vacation? I love clothes! So, thanks to your good advice I am adding: 3 tops, 1 off white knit long sleeve TB sweater, 1 pair pink light weight jeans, 1 more pair shorts. That truly will be my limit, but feel I'll be satisfied with my wardrobe. As my BFF once said: "If I don't have time to do my hair and get dressed, I am not going!"

Hi, I'm Mrs. Moose and I'm a clothesaholic also. My suggestion would be to bring what you would wear in those days away that you would be happy wearing at home given all the differnt temps.

I understand the not wearing the same thing, I once tried that and got totally depressed. They only thing I can wear more than once are dressy pants, but for daytime (not just a 2 hour dinner) I want a different outfit every day.

Bring what makes you happy and that you will have a happy trip.

Safe, happy and healthy travels to all!

Just 8 pairs of shoes? For a 10 day cruise? You see, I am a "shozaholic"......I've been known to bring 15 pairs. This includes gym sneakers, walking sneakers, aqua shoes plus all the necessary dress up ones. You just never know what you may be in the mood to wear;) .

Howdy,

I bring at least a dozen diffferent outfits for daytime on a 7 day cruise. I like to wear what I'm in the mood to wear. If I don't, then I get kind of funky. Plus, I have to have shoes that coordinate with the oufits, plus formal wear, swimsuits (3) and gym clothes. I pack two BIG suitcases full of stuff. I cruise alone, so I can spill over into the two closets.

If there was a Bill W. type meeting for shopping, I would surely attend!

Happy sails,

mrsraggy;)

Thanks for the reponses, I may print this thread and thrust it under hubbys' nose whenhe complains about the volume of luggage. He recently said: "Maybe we can pack a little lighter so it is easier on you." I pointed out that we will be gone for 11, rather than the customary seven nights, and will need more. Shozaholic I share the pain. My youngest son actually has counted all my shoes and told friends and acquaintances the tally. On our very first cruise, 1 week to Bermuda 1994, I took a whole suitcase of my shoes. My sister and SIL, also onboard, thought it was hilarious, but I did win the "best shoes of the cruise contest". There was no formal competition, although they said they were observing in the daily planner, and was announced on the loud speaker the last day. I was vindicated! Since then I have never packed more than 11 pair. My teenage sons never own more than about 4 or 5 pair max at a time, they just don't know what they are missing.

What you have on your list so far sounds good to me. Not to add to the fire, but you might want to consider weather. We all want it to be sunny and hot the whole time but we might get caught on some not so nice days, so better to be safe than sorry.

I am probably going to pack 3 outfits per day. That will give me the choice of 2 daytimes outfits and my evening outfit.

i'm a clothesaholic, shoeaholic, a beauty product junkie and a mood dresser! :o

and what's worse is that my hubby is a clothesaholic, product junkie and a mood dresser as well!! We also don't wear basic black, navy or brown. We like our wacky prints and bright colors!

so when we go away for like a week trip i'll have 28 pairs of pants/jeans packed up for the both of us(14 each) and probably 40 shirts. As far as shoes go, i have this roller duffle bag that i usually fill with shoes, can get about 15, maybe 20 shoes in that.

We're also going away for a 10 nighter and going to Disney World(i've never been) when we get back and debating on what to pack. We'll probably end up with a bag or suitcase for each category! LOL We are putting forth an effort to pack "light". But kudos to those of you that can take any trip and use a small bag of any type!

I love this thread. It drives me crazy when I see the ones that say "gee, I packed for 14 days in my little carry on bag! :eek: ". My theory is keep packing until the suitcase is full. Isn't that what the wheels are for?

It was funny, this last trip, I went to weigh my suitcase because I was traveling internationally and didn't want problems. I was over by 1 lb, so I pulled out another suitcase, split the stuff between the two. Then KEPT PACKING MORE STUFF!!! Had to bring the second suitcase so I might as well as bring it full! Turned out great, because it was Pacific-Northwest and we hit every kind of weather. I loved having choices and "mood" dressing. And don't even start me on shoes!

I am a mood dresser. I could never and I mean never pack lightly. I am a self confessed clothesaholoic, shoeaholic, handbagaholic and jewelreyalolic. Last December my husband and I took our longest cruise ever up til now. Fifteen days to Hawaii with a 3 day precruise stay in San Diego. I brought a lot of clothing with me and bought more on the cruise.

I always have alternate outfits because if I dress against my mood, I am almost paralyzed. I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin, I can't move. I need the right shoes, with the right outfit for the same reason. It is a bit crazy.

I use the laundry service on the ship. We do book suites on HAL and free laundry/dry cleaning/pressing are one of the suite perks. However, even if I had to pay extra for it, I would not do laundry on vacation. I don't cook, I don't clean, I don't do laundry. Even if I just decide to take a nap instead.

comfortcove,

Your list seems OK. I don't think I could manage with 5 dresses on a 10 night cruise. Do these include formalwear? Cocktail dresses or gowns? In my experience 10 night cruises have 3 formal nights.

I also don't think I would be OK with 8 pair of shoes, but that is just me.

I gather from your list you enjoy the beach or pool because you are bring 4 bathing suits. Am I correct? That would mean you would be spending your days in a bathing suit. You need to have it well covered to go into the restaurant for lunch.

You have 3 evening bags. Do you have plans for a bag for the day or on excursions?

Have a great cruise.:)

Linda

Hi Linda, Thanks for your well thought out reply. Our last 2 cruises were in HAL suites. Loved the free laundry and dry cleaning, and brought every thing home clean. Alas, this time, we are in a JS on Jewel of the Seas. Just kidding, our first ten nighter, and we are so excited. Yes, I am a pool and beach person, and my coverups are great. Very geared to my suits. My dresses are all cocktail dresses, except for one long gown. I also have three skirts and two sundresses, and dressy capris, black slacks,designer pink jeans(they are awesome and new!). I will be fine for ten nights of dinner, as long as I do not have a gastronomical explosion! And yes, I will carry a purse, carryon, and packable mesh beach bag. There is a thread on RC where most women say they don't carry a purse. I always do, or put all of my stuff in a beach bag. The shoes, I really don't know yet, haven't narrowed them down, Maybe 8 maybe 10. I do not want to drive my hubby crazy. He is so much happier with less stuff, but like all of you friends I really enjoy the clothes, the dressing with choice, and if you can't have choice on vacation that isn't fun. Thanks for your help. Smooth sailing, Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I know you will enjoy your cruise. Choosing and wearing my clothes are one of the great pleasures of cruising for me. For some wonderful reason my cruise clothing is always brighter because I am a mood dresser and my mood is always bright on a cruise. When I read your post it touched a chord in me and brought back those bright feelings.

Bon Vonage ( that is not a typo, it is the way my grandson pronounces it) :D

Linda

Nancy,

I almost forgot. You really need all of the accessories you can manage. I love wearing my sparkly jewelry, best shoes, best handbags. On our family cruise, my grandson told my daughter and I we looked like pincesses (sic)* on formal night.

*again, not a typo, that's the way he pronounces it.

Linda :D

Shoot - I KNOW I would have more shoes. I had 10 pair for a 7 night cruise. :p

I also took 4 swimsuits - 2 bikinis, a tankini, and a one piece, and wore them all. We wore swimsuits every single day, on our excursions, in port, and on the sea day, so it made perfect sense. I took extra panties too, (running and the gym), washing them out in the sink works fine but they don't take up much room, so doesn't matter either way really. I think the only thing I missed was an extra pair of workout shorts - I only took 2 - don't know what I was thinking.:cool:

Thanks all. I am afraid my list has already expanded a little, but will do the real packing September 30. We leave Oct 2. I have scads of work, errands, details and things to do to leave in order. It is going to be hard to leave my 8th grader behind, so want to leave lots of clothes, wriiten instructions etc for his Uncle, who'll be staying at our home with my son and the pets. This weekend we are all going to attend an out of town wedding, so lots of clothes involved in this also. Don't worry Linda, I'll have lots of accessories, will need 2 jewelry rolls for a 10 nighter, I think! Your grandson sounds adorable. Thanks all for the advice. Nancy

Here's a little tip -

I had a dear friend who used to travel all the time. She used to take stuff she could discard at the end of a trip, like almost used-up underwear. This works better for men, than ladies. When the trip is done, toss away the undies and voila so much more packing space for souvenirs!! Just make sure there is replacement underwear when you return home:p

--Judy

Here's a little tip -

I had a dear friend who used to travel all the time. She used to take stuff she could discard at the end of a trip, like almost used-up underwear. This works better for men, than ladies. When the trip is done, toss away the undies and voila so much more packing space for souvenirs!! Just make sure there is replacement underwear when you return home:p

--Judy

I think this is the worst idea I've ever heard (and it isn't the first time I've heard it so this isn't directed at you judy&steve). I'm begining to think it is Urban Legend.

Firstly, underwear doesn't take up any room in your luggage. Why on earth would you want to take ratty underwear on vacation? If anything, I buy all new.

Also, I'm not wearing any old clothes that I don't care about wherever I am. I can just see me know walking down the streets of Boston or New York in acid washed jeans. How embarrassing. (Don't judge me! I've left my "good" clothes at home!!!)

Thirdly, who wants your nasty castoffs that you've worn? (another version of this story is to give the castoff clothes to housekeeping)

Better idea. Wash and iron the clothes you don't like and give them to GoodWill or a women's homeless shelter.

First of all, it is not an urban legend, DH has done this. Without getting too personal, this is men's cotton and it DOES take up space. We cruise every year and underwear does have an "expiration date". It is not ratty or nasty. It goes in a trash bag and gets tossed. Why would we think housekeeping staff would want our trash? It's just underwear that still is functional, just at the end of its life. When do you throw out your old underwear?

My unworn, good quality clothes go to a women's charity or, lately, to Hurricane victims, along with lots of new baby things, new grooming and personal items, snacks, pet food, etc.

I haven't seen acid washed jeans since the 80s and never wore them then. I wouldn't wear them now. What was that all about?

Don't be so quick to flame someone on a board that's all about being helpful and nice.

Judy

I think this is the worst idea I've ever heard (and it isn't the first time I've heard it so this isn't directed at you judy&steve). I'm begining to think it is Urban Legend.

Firstly, underwear doesn't take up any room in your luggage. Why on earth would you want to take ratty underwear on vacation? If anything, I buy all new.

Also, I'm not wearing any old clothes that I don't care about wherever I am. I can just see me know walking down the streets of Boston or New York in acid washed jeans. How embarrassing. (Don't judge me! I've left my "good" clothes at home!!!)

Thirdly, who wants your nasty castoffs that you've worn? (another version of this story is to give the castoff clothes to housekeeping)

Better idea. Wash and iron the clothes you don't like and give them to GoodWill or a women's homeless shelter.

HA! You're packing less than I am and my cruise is only 7 days! Of course we are going to be gone for 11 days. You go girl. I love having options.

For undies. I take the nice stuff (you know the exotic panties you buy at the Victorias Secret Sale that are just not practica for your normal life? Yep those). I pack little packages of Woolite and wash them in the sink. Takes a moment and I can get away with 7 pair of undies on the trip.

I also send a couple things out.

There are some FABULOUS wraps out there this fall and some cute shrug sweaters that can get popped on for keeping warm in cool areas of the ship or if it gets cooler in port. I bought a brown one to go with a Turquise top. Until this year I would never have paired those colors but I really love them together.

Yesterday I went through the piles of makeup I rarely wear. I managed to get it down to 5 lipsticks and my husband asked me if I was feeling OK? But a clear pink, borwnish pink and a couple nice glosses seem to work with everything this fall and compliment my skin nicely.

I am forgoing hose, even on formal night. I refuse. I am thinking about a Mystic Tan prior to to the cruise to cover leg imperfections but I have heard they don't look after a few days.

Shoes. Don't ask. I have managed to get it down to 10 pairs, including flip flips for the bathing suits, and cannot go lower no matter what. Since I haul my own luggage and tip porters I am ok with that.

Judy - I second you - for our first 17 day trip to Europe in '99, I had the 15 yo ds and 10 yo dd pack that prior school year's undies and sox...which were discarded along the way! a single friend who has never had to pack for a family of four still teases me but I agree with you 101%

Personally, I take my best undies, and nighties, because cruise time is honeymoon time, everytime, for me and DH. However, I can see taking older ones that could be discarded on other types of trips. Happy sails to all, Nancy PS..I always buy some new lingerie as a surprise. Try it, he'll like it!

First of all, it is not an urban legend, DH has done this. Without getting too personal, this is men's cotton and it DOES take up space. We cruise every year and underwear does have an "expiration date". It is not ratty or nasty. It goes in a trash bag and gets tossed. Why would we think housekeeping staff would want our trash? It's just underwear that still is functional, just at the end of its life. When do you throw out your old underwear?

My unworn, good quality clothes go to a women's charity or, lately, to Hurricane victims, along with lots of new baby things, new grooming and personal items, snacks, pet food, etc.

I haven't seen acid washed jeans since the 80s and never wore them then. I wouldn't wear them now. What was that all about?

Don't be so quick to flame someone on a board that's all about being helpful and nice.

Judy

Judy, if you reread my original reply I wrote "..I think this is the worst idea I've ever heard (and it isn't the first time I've heard it so this isn't directed at you judy&steve). " specifically that I was not flaming you.

As far as a board that is helpful and nice, I've been posting on this board for a while now and if you read, you'll find I am helpful.

My comment about the acid washed jeans is that they've been out of style for 20 years therefore they would be old clothes. Your suggestion was to take old clothes and wear them and leave them. My point is that I don't want to wear old clothes out in public.

I made a point to write that I wasn't directing my response at you and yet your post ??? Et tu?

I'm taking the new unmentionables as well. The old ones don't even make it to "old" status at home. I love going to Victoria Secret when they have their sales and stock up. Niedel - what could be more practical and fun than having sexy little underthings during the course of a busy mom-like day! :rolleyes:

Joelmarg,

yeah sexy underthings while I am changing diapers! Lol! I just can't. Well until recently I could not get the nice ones on cause of the baby weight but that is almost gone now (finally). I just grab the cottons for daily life. I need to start paying attention to when Victorias Secret has their semi-annual sale. I love that.

Archived