New England/Canada excursion considerations

Kerry&LuAnn

• 6 months later...
I use a combination of DIY, private tours and ship tours. Depending on the port I try to figure out which will be the best choice. Like this poster I have found the guides on ship tours are local guides who want you to love their locale. I know that some people avoid ship tours because they don't like the big bus. Last year on our Canada cruise a private tour company (that was strongly recommended on cc) put 6 of us in a 7 person minivan. While the guide was great, I would opt for the bus when it comes to comfort.

Which tour company? I'm currently researching which tour companies to book on my NE/Canada cruise in October.

We used Halifax Taxi Tours but do not remember who we used in PEI. In Sydney we went to the fort on Canada Day.

Thanks so much. Currently researching Halifax Taxi Tours and Halifax Cruise Ship Taxi Tours as options.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There appear to be three options for excursions on a New England/Canada cruise: (1) purchase the ship-sponsored tours (which use local tour operators); (2) arrange something directly with a local tour operator; or (3) rent a car and explore on your own. What would be your preferences, and why?

Of those options it would be (3), modified slightly to what we actually did, which was taxis @ $60 per hour at Halifax and Halifax (and Sydney, which we didn't do but should have :mad:)

Videos of what we did at Boston, Bar Harbor (used free bus), Halifax, Sydney :eek:, PEI and Quebec City here

All the best, Tony

First let me say that unless it is a money issue, I don't understand the people with the "I would never take a ship tour," or, "I will only do a ship tour"

First we decide what exactly we want to do always making sure that we will be back on the ship 1 1/2 hours before anchor.

Second, I will only do a ship tour at a tender port. I say this because, a few year's ago, this goes in the category of "what was I thinking"---I should have known better. I booked on one of the islands a snorkel trip that did pick up from the port tender spot at a certain time. Of course even though I did get an early tender, the ship started the tenders late and we missed the pick up by 15 minutes. Fortunately I called the office and begged them to return and pick us up, apologizing over and over again. Luckily, the van came back for us. There was a similar excursion for only a little more from the cruise ship itself. We were stupid, to save a few bucks, not my finest hour. So my rule of thumb, do the ship excursion that is as close to what you want to do at a tender port. For regular ports, I check to see what just makes the most sense. Sometimes, we will rent a car (which normally we don't want to do on vacation) if that is the best way to get from point to point. Otherwise, we usually find a private excursion that will meet our needs. But if the ship excursion is doing exactly what we want and sometimes you can only book what you want through the ship, then that's it.

First let me say that unless it is a money issue, I don't understand the people with the "I would never take a ship tour," or, "I will only do a ship tour"

First we decide what exactly we want to do always making sure that we will be back on the ship 1 1/2 hours before anchor.

Second, I will only do a ship tour at a tender port. I say this because, a few year's ago, this goes in the category of "what was I thinking"---I should have known better. I booked on one of the islands a snorkel trip that did pick up from the port tender spot at a certain time. Of course even though I did get an early tender, the ship started the tenders late and we missed the pick up by 15 minutes. Fortunately I called the office and begged them to return and pick us up, apologizing over and over again. Luckily, the van came back for us. There was a similar excursion for only a little more from the cruise ship itself. We were stupid, to save a few bucks, not my finest hour. So my rule of thumb, do the ship excursion that is as close to what you want to do at a tender port. For regular ports, I check to see what just makes the most sense. Sometimes, we will rent a car (which normally we don't want to do on vacation) if that is the best way to get from point to point. Otherwise, we usually find a private excursion that will meet our needs. But if the ship excursion is doing exactly what we want and sometimes you can only book what you want through the ship, then that's it.

Like - exactly how we operate

• 2 months later...