Cabins now ready on embarkation

Well I have just returned from Oceana. On embarkation day we were due to board at 12.30 however we arrived at 10.30 (unexpectedly easy connections from our Venice Hotel) and they let us board straight away. Some peoples cabins were already prepared, and we (being independent travelers) got ours at about Noon. We had plenty of time to acquaint ourselves with the ship beginning in the Pennant Bar :)

We returned from our Baltic cruise on Azura 2 weeks ago. We had been given an embarkation time of 2 p.m. but as we had to be out of our hotel by midday, we just checked out, got a taxi and arrived at the port at around 12 o'clock. Our bags were whisked out of our hands and we were sent into the hall and handed cards with a "P" on them. We filled in our health declarations and waited about 10 minutes until the P's were called and suddenly we were on board! The system was organised and the queue constantly moving. There was no reference to the time that we had been allocated - they just kept on processing the people who were actually there. By 12.45 we were sitting in the Verona buffet, having lunch. The cabins were ready at exactly 2 p.m. as we had been informed previously. As there was no back-up of people waiting to embark, the system was either very efficient or quite a few passengers who had been given an earlier embarkation time, were still travelling down from wherever they lived. Imagine if we had waited until 2 p.m. We could have arrived just when all those late arrivals of the earlier embarkation times were arriving too!

P & O need to sort out their disembarkation process though as that was a total shambles. We had been given a time of 10.00 - 10.10 a.m. but didn't manage to get off the ship until almost 11 a.m. We were all waiting in our allocated place but the speed that people were leaving the ship was one by one. We were the last group to go and by this time, we were almost an hour later than scheduled and we had people waiting to pick us up outside the terminal. Once we finally disembarked the ship, we realised that the delay was in the terminal building. There were thousands of people trying to leave the baggage shed with their luggage through ONE DOOR! There were several queues of people shuffling along and joining one central queue of passengers trying to get out. What a shambles! Just as well there were no emergencies! Comparing this to our 2014 Eastern Mediterranean cruise with Royal Caribbean from Barcelona, where we were given a disembarkation time of 06.15h, walked off the ship and had our luggage come down a chute into our hands and were outside the terminal in 5 minutes. Now that was efficient! It's true that RCI start disembarking early but they also start embarking early. We were on board by 11 a.m.

Tripalot, please can you tell me what time you arrived in Venice? We are doing Genoa to Venice in September and have been looking at a walking tour in Venice, but it leaves St Marks at 2pm. Is it possible do you think? TIA

We arrived at about 1PM and the sail in was stunning, worth being on deck early for a good view or on the promenade deck 7 for an arguably better view. There were long queues of passengers both disembarking and for the boat/shuttle to St Marks and so it is doubtful you will make it in time. We actually walked to Piazalle Roma (15 minutes) and purchased ACTV tickets for the water buses and land buses for 48 hours bypassing the queues, which we also used the following day. These tickets are excellent value and a good way to see a lot of the city. You can also catch the People Mover train from the Port to Piazzale Roma if you don't fancy the walk for €1.30 per journey.

Annie,

Having had another look I think there is some confusion. The OP on the FB page was interested in the suggested new system of people picking there own boarding time. The more I look the more I think that it is this idea which has been abandoned. I suppose time will tell. The post above regarding the coach travel does not seem to be an abandonment of later boarding.

That was me asking p&o about the pick your own boarding time and they confirmed they did trial it (although i have never seen any posts about it) but they decided to not go forward with it..shame really as could have been a good selling point for booking early...you pick your time when you book, far too simple for p&o though! :rolleyes:

That was me asking p&o about the pick your own boarding time and they confirmed they did trial it (although i have never seen any posts about it) but they decided to not go forward with it..shame really as could have been a good selling point for booking early...you pick your time when you book, far too simple for p&o though! :rolleyes:

We've had our e-mail from P&O about checking in at 4pm to 'ensure that our cabin will be ready when we board'. We don't want the cabin ready when we board --- we are happy to get on the ship and spend some money with them buying drinks etc if we have to. We really don't get the logic of what they were trying to 'sell us' in the e-mail we have received as they seemed to think they were telling us good news !!!! Errr, don't think so .... really do wonder whose bright idea this was; I hope their P45 is in the post !

Like you we think the idea of booking your time or embarking early is a good selling point and the way to go moving forward. I.e. they can use it as part of a Select Fare perk.

Oh well, this time next we will be enjoying the Capt's Formal Night -----:D:D

Likewise, Azura?

No Britannia - she sails on Saturday. :) We'll wave to you ;-)

I think that Azura, the Eclipse, a Fred Olsen ship are all in port the same day -its going to be busy in Southampton!! :)

Edited by Presto2

Oh, you lucky people. I've been back off Britannia 2 weeks now, and I want to go again already. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks - we can't wait. Booked it last March 2014!

I notice that you are going on Oceana - we came off her at the end of April and loved it so much that we have already booked for August 2016!

Did you keep to your boarding time on Britannia by the way -- or is that loaded question ;)

No, I didn't stick to the boarding time. I was put back an hour to 3o'clock, but was on board by 12.30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info - very much appreciated. Can't believe that we are so close to arriving in Southampton and this gives us hope that we won't be getting on the ship just before Muster Drill. :D:D:D

I have spoken with p&o today and asked about embarkation times, they made it clear that we could board anytime from 12pm. Arrive when you want basically. Great for us as we are being responsible and travelling down from sheffield the night before so we won't be delayed on the Sat by traffic. Our check in time is 3pm but we will be at the terminal by 12pm.

Looking forward to our first P&O cruise on Britannia (princess and carnival in the past) although a bit apprehensive as there appears to be so much 'P&O snobbery' on the forums. Quite funny really!

P&O old school regulars - stick to the small, old school ships. Britannia won't be for you!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I have spoken with p&o today and asked about embarkation times, they made it clear that we could board anytime from 12pm. Arrive when you want basically. Great for us as we are being responsible and travelling down from sheffield the night before so we won't be delayed on the Sat by traffic. Our check in time is 3pm but we will be at the terminal by 12pm.

Looking forward to our first P&O cruise on Britannia (princess and carnival in the past) although a bit apprehensive as there appears to be so much 'P&O snobbery' on the forums. Quite funny really!

P&O old school regulars - stick to the small, old school ships. Britannia won't be for you!

Don't be apprehensive at all. Snobbery only exits on here. Cruising is for everyone these days.

I've been on both Azura and Ventura and going on Azura this Christmas again. Fantastic cruises with not a single issue. Would love to try Britannia soon enough as well.

Go and enjoy without any worries. Forget the negativity on here and tell us all about it on your return. Xx

We originally sailed with Ocean Village and were frightened to go over to the P&O threads as it seemed rather snobbish! We then did our first P&O cruise and met so many lovely people.

We then ended up posting on the P&O forum a lot and now know that it isn't half as snobbish as we thought and there are lots of lovely cruisers who sail with P&O. I am sure that you will find that the overwhelming majority are a great bunch of people and think you will be pleasantly surprised on your cruise. ;)

We originally sailed with Ocean Village and were frightened to go over to the P&O threads as it seemed rather snobbish! We then did our first P&O cruise and met so many lovely people.

We then ended up posting on the P&O forum a lot and now know that it isn't half as snobbish as we thought and there are lots of lovely cruisers who sail with P&O. I am sure that you will find that the overwhelming majority are a great bunch of people and think you will be pleasantly surprised on your cruise. ;)

Lovely post and couldn't agree more. Xx

Although don't read the thread about buffet and etiquette. I've never read such drivel and can't belive people really behave like that and get that intense about going to a buffet.

I've never had any issues with anyone or anything at the buffet.

Thanks for your reassuring comments, i'm sure it will be a lovely cruise and that the summer holiday demographic will make for a more balanced view of Britannia as a ship. Has to be said though that i've not come across so much negativity and a 'set in our ways' attitude as is displayed on the p&o message boards before.

After multiple princess cruises and one very enjoyable carnival sunshine experience we are excited to board the P&O flagship on Sat - prior to our allocated boarding time of 3pm!