Amsterdam Questions

I have some questions:

How far of a walk is it from Dam Square to the Van Gogh Museum?

Is it better to take the tram, and if so, where do you pick it up in the Dam Square area?

I have bought admission tickets, do they allow entry earlier than the time specified, and if so, how much earlier?

Do people tip taxi driver, or more specifically Tinker driver and how much?

Indrapurna or Sampurna for riffstafel?

Thanks

I have some questions:

How far of a walk is it from Dam Square to the Van Gogh Museum?

Is it better to take the tram, and if so, where do you pick it up in the Dam Square area?

I have bought admission tickets, do they allow entry earlier than the time specified, and if so, how much earlier?

Do people tip taxi driver, or more specifically Tinker driver and how much?

Indrapurna or Sampurna for riffstafel?

Thanks

I think walking will take at least 30 minutes.

Frequent trams nr. 16 from Dam square to Museumplein stop will take just about 15 minutes.

All about public transport in Amsterdam: http://en.gvb.nl/

In general there is a small tip to cabdrivers. Just round up the amount of the trip (like 32,- give 35,- or more if the service was excellent.)

I like Indrapura very much for rijsttafel.

(look at the spelling - it means rice table).

I think walking will take at least 30 minutes.

Frequent trams nr. 16 from Dam square to Museumplein stop will take just about 15 minutes.

All about public transport in Amsterdam: http://en.gvb.nl/

In general there is a small tip to cabdrivers. Just round up the amount of the trip (like 32,- give 35,- or more if the service was excellent.)

I like Indrapura very much for rijsttafel.

(look at the spelling - it means rice table).

Thanks

We took Ine's suggestion and did the Rijattafel at Indrapura. I highly recommend it too.

The trams are wonderful. I would take the tram from Dam Square to the Van Gogh. You will get plenty of walking un just exploring the city.

Be careful on the trams. There are pick pockets. One of my friends had her passport case stolen out of her handbag without knowing it. It had no money in it just passports and cruise contract. A transportation policeman found it thrown away by the thief on the tram because there was nothing he wanted. The policeman took it to our river cruise ship and when we all arrived to board the ship, there it was. She was a VERY LUCKY person!

Don't know about the Van Gogh but we were early for the Anne Frank. It was raining outside with hundreds of people waiting to get in. They let us in early and allowed us to do the gift shop first. At the Van Gogh there is a huge gift shop. So if you are early, you can certainly do that before the museum if they won't let you in early. I think it is all about how many people they have in the museum at any one time. If it is not overcrowded you probably will be able to get in early. Enjoy! It is a very nice museum.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how stringent they are at the Van Gogh museum with admission time? If we are early will they let us in ?

In the end of March, we had a timed admission ticket for 4:00 but got to the museum by 3:00. Earliest guard would let us in was 3:45. Still, timed admission line was the only one moving.

Thanks for the info. Does anyone know how stringent they are at the Van Gogh museum with admission time? If we are early will they let us in ?

We were nearly 2 hours late docking in Amsterdam / arriving at the museum but they let us in without any problem. It was great to walk past alll the queues

We were nearly 2 hours late docking in Amsterdam / arriving at the museum but they let us in without any problem. It was great to walk past alll the queues

Would love feedback from people who flew home and went through the new Amsterdam airport. I have heard different stories of how long it basically takes to check in leave luggage, go through customs and security (2 times???).

Would love feedback from people who flew home and went through the new Amsterdam airport. I have heard different stories of how long it basically takes to check in leave luggage, go through customs and security (2 times???).

I did that just a few weeks ago. I checked in online from my hotel through the airline's app. From getting to the airport, we were checked all the way through and at the gate in 45 minutes. Make sure all your medications are in their original containers. All of the electronics have to come out of the carry on. Keep your passport and airline ticket or the electronic version of it handy.

It really wasn't bad. We all managed it with varying degrees of cold medication. Schiphol airport is enormous, do be ready for lots of walking.

I did that just a few weeks ago. I checked in online from my hotel through the airline's app. From getting to the airport' date=' we were checked all the way through and at the gate in 45 minutes. Make sure all your medications are in their original containers. All of the electronics have to come out of the carry on. Keep your passport and airline ticket or the electronic version of it handy.

It really wasn't bad. We all managed it with varying degrees of cold medication. Schiphol airport is enormous, do be ready for lots of walking.[/quote']

Was that at the new terminal that just opened up this month?

Was that at the new terminal that just opened up this month?

There is no new terminal at the airport, but security takes places now at another place and arriving/departing/transfering passengers are more split then before. Some parts of the terminal piers now have an extra floor because of that.

We will be arriving by train from Rotterdam and our first stop will be the Rijksmuseum. It looks like we would take Tram 2 or 5--is this correct? Also about how long will the tram ride be the train station and the museum?

We will be arriving by train from Rotterdam and our first stop will be the Rijksmuseum. It looks like we would take Tram 2 or 5--is this correct? Also about how long will the tram ride be the train station and the museum?

And also tramnrs. 16 and 24 get close to the museumplein. Traveltime 15/20 minutes. Stops are clearly marked and announced in the trams