Cancellation Risk Email!

laurantwins

I booked our upcoming cruise (7/19) using Early Saver last July, paid in full by December, and have earned a quite a bit of OBC by following price drops and turning in Price Protection Forms.

This morning I had a "Cancellation Risk" email saying that I owe an additional $360.00, that this is a "Late Payment", and would have to pay it within "one business day" or my booking would be automatically cancelled.

I ran to my laptop and pulled up my booking - it stated "Paid in Full" with the OBC that I'd already received in place.

I called Carnival and the Carnival Rep that I spoke with was (as always) extremely helpful. She said it was confusing, in that no actual person went into my booking and caused this - the system somehow did it. Anyway, she fixed the problem and we are good to go!

Here is what I think may have caused it:

I had booked us on an excursion through carnival and prepaid the excursion. When I was on the carnival site yesterday, I noticed that the price per person for this excursion had DROPPED from 94.99 to 89.99 - a difference of $20 for the four of us. I turned in a Price Protection Form for that, yesterday.

I received an email saying that it was APPROVED, but the additional $20 OBC was not reflected in my Cruise Details.

When I asked the agent who was helping me this morning, she said that the additional $20 OBC would be added once we were on the ship.

Is this typical? Should I wait and go to Guest Services once we're on board, or should I give them another call and see if this can be done in advance?

It seems strange that they would approve an excursion price drop, bill me a random $360 with threatened cancellation, then not honor the excursion price drop at the time it was approved.

Any thoughts/input would be appreciated!

Laurantwins

Edited by laurantwins

I think whatever SNAFU occurred relates to the excursion price drop .

4 * $89.99 = $360 (more or less)

Although it doesn't explain it (or excuse it) this does seem to be the likely "missing link" that this somehow mucked up your booking.

The good thing is you were on your toes and straightened out those muckety mucks. :)

I think whatever SNAFU occurred relates to the excursion price drop .

4 * $89.99 = $360 (more or less)

Although it doesn't explain it (or excuse it) this does seem to be the likely "missing link" that this somehow mucked up your booking.

The good thing is you were on your toes and straightened out those muckety mucks. :)

i think you might be on to something there

...the additional $20 OBC was not reflected in my Cruise Details.

When I asked the agent who was helping me this morning, she said that the additional $20 OBC would be added once we were on the ship.

Is this typical? ...

...Yes. Some OBC does not show up until you have sailed. Check your account using your in-cabin TV. You may even get a written notice in the cabin along with your Fun Times one evening. Just take all your printed documentation with you when you board so you can prove you do indeed are owed the credits.

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Something similar happened to us in Feb when we got on the Magic I went to check our OBC for excursion price match and found that they had cancelled the excursion! Took a couple of rounds with supervisors to fix it.

I had a similar situation a few years ago when I called to add the last future cruise voucher I had left. It was added and the rep said I was good to go, paid in full with credit on top of that.

Over the next week or so I couldn't access my booking online. Apparently there was a computer glitch that had cancelled my cruise when I added the voucher. Took a few hours and some frustration to get it settled but we went and had a fabulous cruise!

So now if anything weird happens online I call and confirm that all is well.

Here is what I think may have caused it:

I had booked us on an excursion through carnival and prepaid the excursion. When I was on the carnival site yesterday, I noticed that the price per person for this excursion had DROPPED from 94.99 to 89.99 - a difference of $20 for the four of us. I turned in a Price Protection Form for that, yesterday.

I received an email saying that it was APPROVED, but the additional $20 OBC was not reflected in my Cruise Details.

Is this typical? Should I wait and go to Guest Services once we're on board, or should I give them another call and see if this can be done in advance?

It seems strange that they would approve an excursion price drop, bill me a random $360 with threatened cancellation, then not honor the excursion price drop at the time it was approved.

I also had the same situation with my all my excursions. I did notice that the lower price is reflected on my excursion page when I go to manage my booking. I have not gone on the cruise yet but I have all the emails just in case my OBC is not there when we board.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. It's comforting to know that this has happened before, and that everything worked out fine.

I called Carnival again, just to verify that I am paid in full and that the excursion hadn't been inadvertently cancelled. Everything was in place, but the excursion was still reflecting the higher price. The rep that I spoke with told me to email shoreexcursions@carnival.com, and plead my case for the price adjustment.

I've sent the email, but haven't heard back yet. I'm thinking that I'll take all my documentation with me, and talk to Guest Services or Shore Excursions about it once we're onboard.

always always bring a copy of the confirmation of these obc etc for verification. I've never needed them, but always have them for any issues.

I took a letter from Carnival for a $50 OBC and Steakhouse dinner. GS lady read the letter 4 times and told me, no the Steakhouse as part of the OBC. Took her 10 minutes to realize I was correct and she wasn't. Unfortunately, had a terrible steak in the SH.