Explorer of the seas: tux or kilt

One final point, if you do decide to take the kilt DO NOT take the Skean Dhu unless it is fake (plastic) one as even if it is packed in the suitcase in which case it will get through the airport scanner ok, (as it will be in the hold) it will NOT get through the cruise-line scanner ie every case is x-rayed before boarding and it will considered as a “weapon” and will be confiscated and returned at the end of the cruise.

This happened to one of our cruise friends last year on Independence.

Also if you have a sporran with seal pelt, watch it going through customs. My husband will say it is horse hair rather than seal.

Unfortunately we are restricted luggage wise as are flying down (from Scotland) so may have to give it a miss for that reason, thanks for all the replies as helped highlight the practical aspect of travelling with it!

Yes he'll be in a minority in a Kilt, but not a bad minority.

Love, love, love the formal kilts!! Right now the series Outlander is really big in US tv, so kilts are definitely in favor over here!

Being from southern Illinois in the USA, I see kilts daily, NOT. ;)

I love seeing gentlemen from other countries wearing kilts and other attire that we regularly do not see here in the US.

I vote KILT!!!

Tim

I love seeing gentlemen from other countries wearing kilts and other attire that we regularly do not see here in the US.

If kilts are allowed, how about Bermuda shorts? If not, why is dress wear from one country OK but not another?

bermudashorts003.jpg.ba35b60ca1b6ece6607a7daf23cd5fe6.jpg

If kilts are allowed, how about Bermuda shorts? If not, why is dress wear from one country OK but not another?

Oh, I did not realize Bermuda shorts are considered formal attire in Bermuda or anywhere else for that matter.

Well here goes a good thread to the toilet. Gonna turn this one into another "it's my vacation and I can wear what I want" thread. :(

Tim

Edited by HB Cruiser

Oh, I did not realize Bermuda shorts are considered formal attire in Bermuda or anywhere else for that matter.

Well here goes a good thread to the toilet. Gonna turn this one into another "it's my vacation and I can wear what I want" thread.

Hopefully not. My question was legitimate: a dress kilt doesn't technically fulfill the formal requirements for Royal, but is considered acceptable. Shouldn't that then be true of all dress outfits from other countries? I'm sure a bisht and thawb, changshan or dhoti that also don't qualify would be welcome as well, so why not Bermuda shorts?

Hopefully not. My question was legitimate: a dress kilt doesn't technically fulfill the formal requirements for Royal, but is considered acceptable. Shouldn't that then be true of all dress outfits from other countries? I'm sure a bisht and thawb, changshan or dhoti that also don't qualify would be welcome as well, so why not Bermuda shorts?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bermuda_shorts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilt

One says formal and one doesn't.

I can't say for definite, but while bermuda shorts can be considered business wear, they're not formal formal usually. They also mainly were designed for a modicum of comfort pre-air conditioning.

On the other hand, I don't care if you turn up to dinner wearing nothing but a towel, so I may not be the best person to ask. As long as I can't see anyone's nipples, bellybutton or genitals while I eat, I'm happy.

[quote name=

on the other hand' date=' i don't care if you turn up to dinner wearing nothing but a towel, so i may not be the best person to ask. As long as i can't see anyone's nipples, bellybutton or genitals while i eat, i'm happy.[/quote]

lol!

Legitimate question or not, the fact is Bermuda shorts are not considered "dress attire" anywhere, a kilt is in the op's country.

Give it a rest.

Tim