Cell phones and walkie talkies

sneekpeek

The one thing we wish we had brought with us was walkie talkies. They will rent them to you for $4.00 per day, but I didn't want to pay that. The ship is HUGE. My husband would say "I'm going up to the pool, meet me up there." Well there's four pools! We lost each other so much. Finally we agreed that if we lost each other we would go directly to the giant ice cream cone on deck 14. This is a great place to meet if you're lost. It's about 10 feet high! (on the Diamond)

What a great landmark to choose....if you got lost during open hours you'd sure have something to do while you waited!

Happy Cruising

Chris

[url="http://www.LifeIsCruising.com"]www.LifeIsCruising.com[/url]

Next up:
Caribbean Princess 06/04
Star Princess 10/04
Carnival Spirit 12/04

Yes, walkie talkies come in handy on a big ship and they mostly work, but you can't rely on them all the time because reception can be crappy depending on where you are. . But it worked well enough that we'll take them again on our upcoming cruise.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;5;22;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Diamond Princess HERE WE COME! Alaska has never been so cool! 5/22/04
May 31, 2003 Carnival Triumph to Western Caribbean.

I used them on an Alaskan cruise, I was intown in Juneau, she went back to the dock on the tender and back to the cabin, we were able to talk for nealy half a mile. Ofcourse any thread on walkie talkies should include a caution not to be obnoxious with the use of them, there is a time and place, dinner isn't a place.

[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04
Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98
Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02
Vision o.t. Seas 04/02
Star Princess 12/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
Vision o.t. Seas 10/02
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Can't one use cell phone? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in the middle of the ocean . . . at least not yet. Maybe in a year or two they're talking about adding towers and relay dishes on ships, but right now, if you're not near the shore where there are cellphone towers you're out of luck!

And if you are close enough to land think about what the rate would be since it would be an international call ( unless you were just off the coast of the states). The typical cell phone plan is VERY expensive to make or recieve and international call. Trust me on that one [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Scott

It is great to use the ships phones ehich are located all over to call the room, leave messages, and so on. ALso use post-its on the door.
With three kids, I have never needed walkie talkies, but then again, I think we have gotten a system down at this point.
Getting accustomed to a ships such as the grand does take a little doing.
Satellite phones are the only way to call out when at sea - my DH did have to rent one for our tahiti trip. He could have used the phone in the room, but the per minute charges were very high and a lot of the time he was on the phone, I was asleep. He could go out on the balcony this way.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

We will be on the Sapphire in August - inside passage and have Verizon Wireless. Any one use Verizon to make calls while on an Inside Passage Cruise? Since we are fairly close to shore most of the time, will cell service be available? - since Alaska is part of the US - wouldn't that be standard rates, not International Rates?
Thanks

Judy

morganrp,

Hi, I work for Verizon Wireless and the answer to your question is yes, your phone will work if you're going up and down the west coast shore line. I could not guarantee no drop calls for miles but I would think it wouldn't be too bad. One of the guys in my group said he was using his off the coast of Seattle, etc. Hope that helps.

Sun Princess 03/97 ( Won It!)

A couple of years ago, a couple we were cruising the inside passage with had verizon and could basically make calls the entire trip...although they did have to go out on deck usually. We had sprint and could not make calls.

Sapphire Princess Inaugural
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;6;13;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

One of the things I enjoy the most about cruising is turning my cell phone off when I board the ship. When i'm on a cruise the last thing I want to do is talk to work, friends, family etc. If it is a life or death situation my family is left instructions on how to get in touch with me.

On my last cruise I spoke with someone that was so excited they had cell coverage going through the Panama Canal they called a friend and used their camera phone to show them the process of going through one of the locks. When I inquired about the cost her answer was "oh, it doesn't cost anything i've got unlimited roaming minutes". I bet she got a heck of a surpise when the bill arrived.

Scott

[This message was edited by ahracer on 04-08-04 at 02:54 PM.]

I just upgraded my Verizon Wireless package to include "America's Choice" no roaming-charge package (if you call anywhere in the America's Choice network, there is no roaming charge). However, in looking at the map - 95% of Alaska is not part of this "America's Choice" so you will be billed at a roaming call rate - which can quickly add up.

Just something to think about!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;05;16;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Voyager of the Seas
Tahitian Princess - 10/03 (Our Honeymoon)
Carnival Paradise - 08/02

Having cell phone coverage and the internet available while we are on a cruise is what allows my husband to be away from his office. If he didn't have that accessibility we would not be able to cruise as often as we do. A couple of phone calls and checking email is a small price to pay for the privilege of traveling.

Diamond Princess 12/2004, Galaxy 3/2004, Grand Princess 1/2004, Star Princess 7/2003, Carnival Legend 1/2003, Golden Princess 11/2002, Monarch of the Seas 9/2002, Golden Princess 2/2002, Sea Princess 11/2001, Imagination 9/2001, Sea Princess 12/2000, Grand Princess 11/1998, Norwegian Wind 6/1998, Dawn Princess 11/1997, Sovereign of the Seas 11/1996, Meridian 6/1995, Ocean Breeze 6/1994, Norway 10/1993, Nordic Prince 8/1991

Allpoints: We're in the same situation - must be able to phone biz at home in order to travel. Could you email me or give me your email address so I can find out what works for you on Star this July? We'll be on her in Sept., trying to figure out best way to call states. Thanks!
Jaqueline: do you know which satellite phone/service your husband used? Thanks.
My e-dress is: [email]Waterbug1@comcast.net[/email]

Archived