American Table

cruiser20145

It's just the name of the menus. American Table is the normal everyday menu and American Feast is elegant nights. There aren't any restaurants of the same name that I have ever heard of.

Some people think it's worse because they don't like change. There are a couple less choices on the menu each night, but I think it allows them to concentrate on the quality of the food, not the quantity of dishes presented. What a lot of the complainers fail to realize is that there are many things from the old menus on the new ones, maybe just with a different name. Plus they added the Port of Call food too which is neat.

There are still the stand by everyday selections available as well. I am about as picky of an eater as you will find and not once was there a night that I couldn't find one thing to eat. You will always have complainers no matter what but I think you will see that the majority of the people that have tried the newest version of the menus do like them.

Totally agree, 100%.

Agree firemanbobswife.

We were on the Liberty last year and loved the new menu. DH tried many of the rare finds - rabbit was his favorite. Then we were on the Sensation in May and while we always found good things to eat, we did miss the new menu. One person at our table ordered fried chicken every night! You can have that at home, why not try something new? If you don't like it, the waiter will bring something else. As to people not finding something to eat there are so many options on the new menu with the Port of Call, plus the grill selections that we are looking forward to our 14-day cruise to more thoroughly explore all kinds of foods.

Hi Guys.. I'm new to cruising and have my first one booked in August on the Dream. I'm also from Australia so I'm wondering... What is "American Table"? Is that a restaurant in the USA?? Does the Dream have this menu? Why do people think it's worse than the "old menu"? Less choice? I guess if you don't know the old menu you can't really compare it and not know any better... Unless Erican Table is a restaurant that you could be familiar with?? Sorry, I have no idea!

I have no idea why the new menu is called "American table," but no, it is not the name of a restaurant... perhaps a descriptive term. I think the reason some are opposed to is that they were comfortable with the old menu and don't like to see change. Honestly, to me, it really isn't that much different, and it has enough options to please ALMOST anyone. I've not ordered from it yet, but have seen it. It looks good to me. I'm a little tired of the old one, and am glad to see some new options. There is a thread around here somewhere with pics of the "American Table" menu. Check it out. Doing so will calm your fears I think. Happy cruising!

What exactly is "American" menu? Is it just Carnival catering to who they think the majority of their passenger's are? I don't get the need to make us American's feel better about their food offerings. The last thing I want on a cruise is the typical food I can get down the street at home. Steakhouse's whoppy, Italian kitchen yawn, now we are faced with more uninteresting food in the MDR? Sounds like NCL's boring food. Its like taking a cruise down main street USA, coulda done that in my car.....

What exactly is "American" menu? Is it just Carnival catering to who they think the majority of their passenger's are? I don't get the need to make us American's feel better about their food offerings. The last thing I want on a cruise is the typical food I can get down the street at home. Steakhouse's whoppy, Italian kitchen yawn, now we are faced with more uninteresting food in the MDR? Sounds like NCL's boring food. Its like taking a cruise down main street USA, coulda done that in my car.....

True, but can you do the Port of Call dishes from your car?

NCL has stepped up their game by offering an unlimited specialty dining as an optional perk. The way RCL is jacking up their prices, while simultaneously doing cuts, this just seems like small potatoes.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Thanks for the reply guys! I did check out some of the menus and think they look pretty good! I love the Port of Calls section... But of course I don't know what it was like before LOL.. I do think I could pick something every night though..

Does anyone know if the menu is on the Dream? For August..? I can't find any solid info... It appears that it was supposed to be all ships but isn't? So maybe I will just get old style menu anyway!?

Its like taking a cruise down main street USA, coulda done that in my car.....

Funny! I imagine like a Speed 2 scenario but with food vendors expecting a ship to come by and selling their food over the side of the ship. Ahahahahahahahah..

Edited by Lister55

NCL has stepped up their game by offering an unlimited specialty dining as an optional perk. The way RCL is jacking up their prices, while simultaneously doing cuts, this just seems like small potatoes.

I don't know what you mean by Port of Call dishes but I can guess. Thats why I ask, what is the American menu. Just a title for a menu change? I whole heartedly agree its small potatoes as is so many of the complaints you hear about. I'm a MDR fan, I enjoy the environment of it and I watch the MDR threads closely. I havent been to a specialty venue other than NCL's Moderno that has made me feel like I was getting anything more than I get at an eatery at home.

I don't know what you mean by Port of Call dishes but I can guess. Thats why I ask, what is the American menu. Just a title for a menu change? I whole heartedly agree its small potatoes as is so many of the complaints you hear about. I'm a MDR fan, I enjoy the environment of it and I watch the MDR threads closely. I havent been to a specialty venue other than NCL's Moderno that has made me feel like I was getting anything more than I get at an eatery at home.

Port of Call option is exactly what it implies - food that is "related", for lack of a better term, to the port you were just at that day. If you look at the menus I posted, it may make a little more sense to you.

You must live in a very small town if you can't. I live in a small midwestern city- and none of those things are hard to find. Some of them we are likely to even cook ourselves (The Cozumel port of call and the Belize port of call are both things DH regularly makes.)

First off, I am shocked to see a sailing I cancelled with RCL, turn from $550 pp to $1050 pp, for a 7 day inside cabin, a year out. Their drink prices are now the highest at mass market sea (even more than their premium line Celebrity), while at the same time cutting back wait staff and food selections in their buffet. MDR was already a bit inferior. So, while I may cherry pick early deals, and they've got some great itineraries and entertainment, my morale is not high.

I'm a MDR fan too, believe me. I haven't had the American Table, and was initially very concerned when it was trial tested. There is a "Port of Call" section of the menu that focuses on dishes related to your last port stop. I'm hoping that will offset the "steak and fried chicken" options.

You must live in a very small town if you can't. I live in a small midwestern city- and none of those things are hard to find. Some of them we are likely to even cook ourselves (The Cozumel port of call and the Belize port of call are both things DH regularly makes.)

We've got all the Steak, Burgers, Americanized Mexican and Chinese food you can eat! Of course, anyone can cook and exotic meal with the right receipt, but you probably don't have an actual Belize restaurant in town. And if local foreign cooking doesn't quite cut it, what should Carnival's bar be set at?