Bucharest/Budapest Eastern Europe river cruise

CJcruzer

Bruce and JC: I am wondering about threat of forest fires. We were in that area last August and it has lots of forested areas. The combination of drought and heat is similar to what's happening on the Pacific coast now, but I haven't read anything about fires in Europe.

JC

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but there are right now 120 ships stuck on the Danube in Romania. Below is the headline from a online article from Romania.

There hasn't been as much talk about the lower Danube but there are some real difficulties.

Bruce

120 vessels blocked on the Danube. The river’s water levels, monitored by satellite. Orange Code for heat extended until Friday for 5 counties

http://www.romaniajournal.ro/120-vessels-blocked-on-the-danube-the-rivers-water-levels-monitored-by-satellite-orange-code-for-heat-extended-until-friday-for-5-counties/

Interesting. I was thinking that the low water levels were further east. I wonder if they are bigger ships (ie deeper draft required) than the river cruise ships that sail those waters. That said, On the first night we sailed from Oltenita, Romania to overnight to Rousse (Ruse), Bulgaria. Our excursion to Veliko Taranovo retuned to Svishtov (Bulgaria) across the river from Zimnicea, Romania. So, if the river is still open above Zimnicea they really won't miss anything except the sailing to Oltenita at night to a completely forgettable port. The biggest hardship if that is the case, is it would be a 2 hour bus ride to Zimnicea from to Bucharest versus just one hour to Oltenita.

I hope that is the case, as it really won't cause a hard ship.

I hope it starts to rain, in Europe.

jc

I hope it starts to rain, in Europe.

jc

From mouth to God's ear as the saying goes...I saw in the paper today that they will need steady rain for more than a week to make up for the drought and that could cause major flooding....I really feel for the people over there....I know drought is terrible, but is flooding is worse.

Dear gannyvan,

We appreciate your concern. While September 27 is still several weeks away, we are not currently experiencing low water conditions on the portion of the Danube River on which you are scheduled to travel: Budapest to Bucharest. Should you have additional questions, you are welcome to contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Is anyone else getting worried that the Sept 27 Budapest to Bucharest cruise might be cancelled for low river levels ? I couldn't believe the temp in Budapest was 100 yesterday and 107 in Bucharest today with no chance of rain. I was thinking of doing a rain dance with my rain stick from Costa Rica . Sure hope it helps. I really don't want to go on a bus tour if Viking doesn't cancel and the ships aren't able to navigate the Danube . Anyone have any "inside" information from Viking ?

Dear gannyvan,

We appreciate your concern. While September 27 is still several weeks away, we are not currently experiencing low water conditions on the portion of the Danube River on which you are scheduled to travel: Budapest to Bucharest. Should you have additional questions, you are welcome to contact us at tellus@vikingcruises.com. We look forward to welcoming you aboard!

Best regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank you for the encouraging update. My concern is based on my recent health. In 27 days I had two major neuro surgeries on my spine. A river cruise is the kind of travel I can do. Long hours in a bus between towns with a river ship docked is physically not possible. I have shaken my rain stick ( now we have rain predicted next week in Atlanta !) and hopefully the drought in Eastern Europe will let up. I know trips of a lifetime have been drastically changed for many cruisers because of the drought. We booked this 18 months ago. We loved our Treasures of the Rhine cruise so much. Nothing like 15 days on a Viking Ship. I hope our dream is realized to be on a Viking Longship and revisit Budapest and new countries. Rain, please !

JC

Sorry to be the bearer of this news but there are right now 120 ships stuck on the Danube in Romania. Below is the headline from a online article from Romania.

There hasn't been as much talk about the lower Danube but there are some real difficulties.

Bruce

120 vessels blocked on the Danube. The river’s water levels, monitored by satellite. Orange Code for heat extended until Friday for 5 counties

http://www.romaniajournal.ro/120-vessels-blocked-on-the-danube-the-rivers-water-levels-monitored-by-satellite-orange-code-for-heat-extended-until-friday-for-5-counties/

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear. But, thank you so much for the informative link. Weather, Wunderground, and others haven't been really helpfull in knowing the true extent of the problems . I am hoping for rain so that our cruise can go on as planned. I cannot do a bus/land trip and disappointment would be an understatement if we can't do this cruise. If you have any more updates, please post them. Thanks again so much for the information.

Not exactly the news I wanted to hear. But, thank you so much for the informative link. Weather, Wunderground, and others haven't been really helpfull in knowing the true extent of the problems . I am hoping for rain so that our cruise can go on as planned. I cannot do a bus/land trip and disappointment would be an understatement if we can't do this cruise. If you have any more updates, please post them. Thanks again so much for the information.

Note that the article is dated 4 days ago so much may have changed!