transferring a booking to a TA

caggfamily

When does it make sense to transfer a booking to a TA? I booked the Celebrity Equinox for next summer directly with Celebrity and since we booked a concierge cabin, we get all the perks from the special they've been running. I'm working with a TA to help plan an Italy trip for the week before we sail on the Equinox and she'll be helping us book our own excursions while we are on that sailing.

Is there any benefit to transferring the booking to her? She isn't offering any special OBC or anything. She just said she could monitor the booking and help if the price goes down. Obviously I know the TA will get a commission, but I'm wondering if there is any benefit for us? Thoughts?

When does it make sense to transfer a booking to a TA? I booked the Celebrity Equinox for next summer directly with Celebrity and since we booked a concierge cabin, we get all the perks from the special they've been running. I'm working with a TA to help plan an Italy trip for the week before we sail on the Equinox and she'll be helping us book our own excursions while we are on that sailing.

Is there any benefit to transferring the booking to her? She isn't offering any special OBC or anything. She just said she could monitor the booking and help if the price goes down. Obviously I know the TA will get a commission, but I'm wondering if there is any benefit for us? Thoughts?

I transferred my booking to a TA and received extra on board credit. You have to decide if it works out for you. If you are the type that like to plan everything then you may not wish to as you then have to go through the TA to get some items changed or cancelled.

You can transfer your booking up to 60 days from the time the booking was made.

If it were me, I would transfer the booking and I'd transfer it to one of the large internet travel agencies that gave me additional perks. You can call any of the agencies and ask what they will offer you if you transfer your existing reservation to them. I do this every time I book a cruise on board....I call around and ask what they can offer.

There is no reason you have to use the same agent for the cruise and the land trip....especially if she isn't offering you any incentive.

There are hundreds of threads on this subject. We always transfer to a TA within 60 days of the booking. Some TAs give 8-10% of the cruise cost back in OBC. Seems like a no brainer but some will warn of problems

If you transfer be prepared to monitor prices closely because large travel agencies do NOT usually do that. Maybe a small company without many clients.

Also hope your agent is available during the often split second timing when the prices go down. Often they go back up within hours or less. You can sometimes make a reservation if prices go down late at night or on a weekend and hope the 24 hour hold lasts until you get hold of the agent or you lose it.

If I book early and have a really cheap price where I do not think I will be changing my reservation I will transfer to an agent. But with other cruises where I think the prices will go down significantly I like to have control of my own reservation not have to depend on the travel agency's hours. But I would not transfer without getting at least an extra 8-10% OBC because you always run the risk of missing out on significant price drops unless your agent is open 24/7.

I have always made out quite well with OBC by transferring to a TA. There is a website that I use that has TA's emailing me with their best offers- easy to use, and I have saved thousands over the years.

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize I had to transfer within 60 days, which as it happens, was a few days ago, so I guess there's not much I can do about it now. I'll know for next time.
Sorry you missed the 60 day cutoff, but that may have turned out to be a blessing in disguise, saving you from the unnecessary hassles of giving your booking to a TA who was not even offering you any good reason to do so.

There is no need for any TA to "help" you book excursions.

The person who really gets "helped" that way is the TA.

For the future, you now know to check around, compare offers, and pick the TA who offers the best deal each time.

That is not the slick smooth talker who claims to look out for you with fancy words, but someone who actually gives you a tangible good offer that you can see -- either a great price, or great additional perks on top of whatever perks you are getting from the cruise line, or a combination.

We are not allowed to recommend travel agencies here, but one place to start could be by looking under Deals

right here on Cruise Critic.

If the TA is offering some of the commission from the reservation that they would be getting in the form of some OBC, then it's really a no brainer. However, if you are dealing with a personal travel agent, beware that fare reductions, and especially cancellations = bottom of their priority list. And as mentioned above, most TA's don't monitor reservations for lower fares unless it is a small agency without many clients. Plus, if you like working directly with the cruise line, you wouldn't be able to do it anymore. A majority of TA's require that you work directly with them, and the cruise line won't help you anymore.