Verizon Internet on Silhouette

Jimbo59

Does Verizon Internet work on Silhouette? We found that Verizon Internet did nor work on Equinox in the Caribbean last February. The tech guy on Equinox told us that Celebrity Equinox used a ground station in Scotland for their satellite. Verizon only worked in the US or with a ground station in the US.

Anyone with experience using Verizon, especially in Europe, on Silhouette?

Keep in mind that the ship's cell phone service is only on when the ship is in international waters. We just spent 12 nights in the Baltics on the Silhouette and I never saw the ship's system turned on. Land was always pretty close. My Verizon phone worked in pretty much every country we were in, at least I was getting real signals and the few times I needed to use it it worked. Check with Verizon before you go, they can tell you more about what you need to make your particular phone work abroad and on the ship.

In order to access your “home” internet provider (Verizon.com) from a cruise ship, you must first access the ship’s internet access portal (provider). You do this by purchasing “access minutes” from the ship’s provider that will be charged to your SeaPass card. You would need to go the” Celebrity ILounge” on the ship and establish an account. You can purchase “packages” of minutes for “x” number of dollars.

Check the FAQ section of the Celebrity website for further information and costs.

Does Verizon Internet work on Silhouette? We found that Verizon Internet did nor work on Equinox in the Caribbean last February. The tech guy on Equinox told us that Celebrity Equinox used a ground station in Scotland for their satellite. Verizon only worked in the US or with a ground station in the US.

Anyone with experience using Verizon, especially in Europe, on Silhouette?

Verizon's Internet service does not work well on the ship's cellular service on the Silhouette. The voice and SMS work wonderfully, but data service is so slow and unreliable that it basically may as well not be there at all (I wasn't able to successfully ever use the connection, though I was able to get my phone to indicate I had service.)

The ground station location has nothing to do with anything; being on a cruise ship is international roaming no matter what. (It is not included in your plan, you will need to pay significantly extra to use it at all.)

Verizon's Internet service does not work well on the ship's cellular service on the Silhouette. The voice and SMS work wonderfully, but data service is so slow and unreliable that it basically may as well not be there at all (I wasn't able to successfully ever use the connection, though I was able to get my phone to indicate I had service.)

The ground station location has nothing to do with anything; being on a cruise ship is international roaming no matter what. (It is not included in your plan, you will need to pay significantly extra to use it at all.)

We were able to use a yahoo acount and a gmail account, connecting via the ships WiFi. But the Verizon email account did not work on Celebrity Equinox, via WiFi. We even tried to use Verizon Webmail but it did not work. So I think it is something in the Verizon system, probably the ground station as the Celebrity tech guy told us.

I have been able to buy an international / cruise ship plan and use my hotspot and cell phone as long as they are international compatible. The Verizon Internet was cheaper and faster than the ships. That was in the Infinity in Europe and the Constellation going to Cozumel. Go to

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/tripplanner/tripplannercontroller?cmp=KNC-C-HQ-NON-R-AC-NONE-NONE-2K0PX0-PX-BIN-SMBSitelink&gclid=CNm3pqnBtcYCFRVJgQodtesC2w&gclsrc=ds

Likewise, I was unable to log in to my Verizon acc't on the Equinox last Jan.

That was the first time I ever had any trouble while cruising. The tech guy I talked to said Verizon was blocking usage outside the US. I thought that ridiculous, but who is to say?

Just as an aside, we just got back from a road trip to the UK. I was able to log on in southern England and southern Ireland, but not in northern England, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

We don't use Verizon for an international phone, just computers, so have no experience there. And no, I have not had the 3 hrs necessary to phone Verizon to find out why.