Bayonne parking in Sept...OK?

SantanaTto

We are leaving out of Bayonne on October 2 and I would really like to hear from any recent cruisers whether you had any problems with the paint spray on your cars or not...

I know that they had problems in August but what about this month? Has the cause of the problem been fixed? After reading all the posts about the paint, I had decided not to drive but to use a car service. Unfortunately, with the gas prices so high, my car service wants an outrageous fee to pick us up !! Now we are thinking about driving ourselves again but I want to be sure that the paint problem has been resolved first..

Thamks!

I have been following this awful dilemna with the paint spray left on the cars parked in Cape Liberty. We sail next Friday 9/23 and will be driving too. We went out and bought a large vinyl tarp to cover our SUV last week. It is a new SUV and no way are We taking any chances. Many passengers are doing the same as us. We were going to order a cover but it will take 4 to 6 weeks and that will be too late. Luckily, We were able to get a large tarp and tried it on and it fits. Its a shame passengers have this to worry about before going on a cruise. This will be Cruise #49 for us and We never had anything like this in our 15 yrs of cruising to deal with before We even get on the ship. From what I understand. it has nothing to do with RC Port facitlity but Bayonne Drydock Company located 300 ft. from Cape Liberty. This company handles mostly military vessels. While some precautions are taken by this company, wind would once in awhile carry paint over to the parked cars at the cruise port. This Company claims that precautions were taken and in August there were gusty winds and a $30,000 protection system of tarps and wires tore thus allowing this paint to travel and go on the parked vehicles. However, it seems that the Drydock Company has taken responsibility and will repair the damaged vehicles. However, this can keep happening and no way would We want to chance our SUV getting paint on it. I wish You good luck and hope You protect your vehicle as We are doing. Who needs this extra aggravation when going on a Cruise. So unless they build an enclosed parking facility to protect all vehicles, this will keep happening. I do hope this problem is solved quickly for Royal Caribbean Passengers. This will probably be our first and last cruise out of this Port. Ike

I'll be on the Oct. 29th Constellation sailing from Cape Liberty and have likewise been concerned of the possibility of the paint spray.

A poster on another thread advised that PEP BOYS were selling car covers for $20.00.

I went to their store in Whitehall, PA and found a cover for my car. The price was $31.00 and provided a $10.00 rebate coupon. I will cover the car just for peace of mind.

If you seek the car cover be sure to check the size of the cover as indicated on the box. I believe there are five diffent sizes depending on the make and model of various cars and trucks.

We got off in Bayonne today and I just wanted to pass on that I have already complained to the General Manager of the Best Western Newark and fired off a letter to their corporate office about the disaster today. Their shuttle service is a NIGHTMARE. I would never EVER do this again, even if they paid me. The shuttles literally got mobbed as they pulled up and we waited for an hour and a half to get on them. There was a number system (we were NUMBER 3) and it was ignored. It was not until we and another family (NUMBER 2) stood behind the FOURTH shuttle that arrived and refused to move until we got on it that we were able to get our "free ride".

We are on the 9-23 sailing on the VOS and I am definitely not going to take a chance with the spray paint. We are going to buy a vinyl tarp also, just in case. It's not worth the headache taking a the chance that your car will be covered with paint when you return from your cruise.

We got off in Bayonne today and I just wanted to pass on that I have already complained to the General Manager of the Best Western Newark and fired off a letter to their corporate office about the disaster today. Their shuttle service is a NIGHTMARE. I would never EVER do this again, even if they paid me. The shuttles literally got mobbed as they pulled up and we waited for an hour and a half to get on them. There was a number system (we were NUMBER 3) and it was ignored. It was not until we and another family (NUMBER 2) stood behind the FOURTH shuttle that arrived and refused to move until we got on it that we were able to get our "free ride".

Bernie, we leave from Cape Liberty but return to Newark International since our cruise is a reposition. Thanks for the warning though, I will be prepared.

Bought a car cover form our minivan at Pep Boys (but it was $80, rebate $20.)

It's a nice tyvek-like material. It has elastic at all 4 corners that is good enough to hold it on without tie downs.

Caution -- if you plan to drop off luggage and people and have only a driver park the car, make sure that one person can get the cover on alone! I can but it's not easy.. and I hope it's not windy when I do!

Well, I decided not to take a chance with the parking... Since I live only 40 minutes from the port, I am having my son drive us there ( one reason being that he has never been that close to any cruise ship and I want to see the expression on his face as the Voyager comes into view! ) and am taking a car service back home on Friday.

Lesley,

No children are going with us this trip..just the DH and I! I guess we will meet when Hartley comes to pick us up on the 4th! Looking forward to this trip!! Countdown now!

Archived