First time to Bermuda - Need suggested Itinerary

Bethprgirl

My cousin and I are going on the July 5-12 Norwegian Breakaway sailing, and we've never been to Bermuda. I've read a lot of the threads but would love a suggested three day itinerary based on all of my fellow cruisers wonderful input and past experience.

We want to see as many interesting sites as possible, maybe do some shopping but are not into heavy adventure activities and don't want to lay on the beach, although we'd like to visit the beach as I hear Bermuda has pink sands! We also like nightlife. We are single gals, 49 and 39 years old, respectively.

I would greatly welcome your suggestions!

Thank you.

Beth

Hi, i will be on the same sailing as you! We are planning on snorkeling at the dockyard beach, visiting horseshoe beach and shopping in Hamilton. We don't have any big plans either. Also there is a street fair in Hamilton Wednesday night that sounds like a lot of fun. Its coming up quick, I'm excited!

We want to see as many interesting sites as possible, maybe do some shopping but are not into heavy adventure activities and don't want to lay on the beach, although we'd like to visit the beach as I hear Bermuda has pink sands! We also like nightlife. We are single gals, 49 and 39 years old, respectively.

Some things to keep in mind:

• Bermuda is safe and modern. You don't need local currency since everyone accepts American cash. There is no exchange rate to worry about. Their dollar is tied to ours.
  • Do not bother purchasing any of the excursions on the ship. If you wanted to do snorkeling, glass bottom boat ride, etc., walk down to the area by the docks and purchase it yourself. Bring cash since they may not take credit cards.
  • There's a beach right at the port, but I suggest hopping on the bus to Horseshoe beach. It's wonderful. I'm not a big beach person, but I could do all three days there. There's a REALLY big hill at that beach and it may be difficult for some people to go up on the return. Again, bring cash. There's usually a car that drives people back up. It's not expensive.
  • If you're interested in going to the caves and aquarium, let me know and I'll tell you how to do it. Not sure that's something you'd want to do.
  • I suggest you do Harbor nights which ought to be the first port day. Therefore, make sure you don't miss Rock Of Ages. See that on an At-Sea day if you can reserve it.

Have you looked at the excursions NCL offers just to get an idea if there's something that interests you?

Edited by Sizzlechest

I would recommend going to St. George; it's a World Heritage Site dating back to the 1600s. Tobacco Bay is absolutely beautiful, and great for snorkeling.

The beach at the dockyard, though a good way to kill a couple hours on your last day (and stay to close to the ship) is not that great of a beach, and won't have the pink sand of the south shore beaches.

Other stuff to do:

• Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for outstanding views of the island
  • Fort Hamilton
  • Crystal / Fantasy Caves

Just back from Bermuda (our second time there). We wanted to do some different things. We took the $16.00 shuttle to Horseshoe Bay the first day. Less costly than the NCL shore excursion and they take you right to the bottom of the very long, steep hill. The minivans come and go from the Dockyard constantly. You could get a transportation pass and take the bus, but it is a long ride and you will have to walk the hill. In addition, you will have to wait for the bus (one runs about every 15 minutes) and if the bus is full (quite possible by the afternoon), you will have to wait for the next one. If you do take the bus and change your mind about traveling that way back, the mini-vans in the parking lot will take you back to the Dockyard for $7.00 pp. They only take cash. If you are going to Horsehoe Bay, get there early. The beach fills up fast and umbrellas and chairs sell out. Just a note - if you go to the right when you get to the beach, there is a small cove area that is really nice.

If you like history, take the water taxi over to St. George (you can take a bus, but the water taxi is faster). There are some nice historic places to see there. Keep in mind the last water taxi leaves St. George at 5:30. If you miss it you will have to take the bus.

We got a one-day transportation pass for our second day. We took the water taxi over to Hamilton. There are plenty of places to shop and eat here. It's very much like any other city. We headed over to the bus depot to pick up bus 10 (you can also take bus 11) to get to the Aquarium and Zoo. (Note: They do not take Discover Credit Cards here, only Master Card and Visa.) My daughter really wanted to do this and we all enjoyed the stop. It's not very large, but still worth the money. In addition to the aquarium and zoo, there is a small history museum there - and the building is air conditioned! There is a small restaurant on site of you need a drink or a bite to eat and a gift shop. We had wanted to do the caves (another stop on the same route, but a little further down the road), but spent so much time at the zoo that we skipped it. We got back on the bus (they run every 15 minutes) and headed to St. George. Got some really good ice cream, went to the perfumery and church and went through the shops around the wharf. We took the 3:30 water taxi back to the Dockyard. We packed a lot into that day, but it was really fun. And the public bus ride enabled us to see parts of the island we never would have otherwise seen.

After dinner, we booked a glass bottom boat ride to explore the reefs and a ship-wreck. We came back after sunset. It was nice.

We did the National Museum at the Dockyard on the last day because we wanted to stay close to the dockyard. It's $10 pp (CASH ONLY), but well worth the money. There is so much to see. The only building not open is the commissioner's house. It is undergoing renovations after extensive damage from a hurricane last year. Admission to the museum allows you to see the dolphins from Dolphin Quest (a separate activity). You can see people swim with and interact with the dolphins.

Many people on the ship went to Snorkel Beach on the last day. This is the small private beach that's within walking distance of the Dockyard. Admission is $5.00 and you can rent chairs, umbrellas and snorkeling equipment. There is a restaurant there also. Food and drinks are expensive (the same is true mostly anywhere in Bermuda since everything has to be imported).

Don't forget about the Dockyard Mall. There is a glassblowing shop, rum cake shop and indoor mall with lots of stores. Most of the stores are expensive, but you can find some less pricey tourist kinds of things there too. We stopped for a drink at the Frog and Onion. It was $6.50 for a bottle of beer. Just wanted to say we were there.

There is so much to do in Bermuda. Read the posts in the Bermuda forum to get some more ideas. Don't try to do everything. You will end up tired and will miss out on the real reason for being there - relaxation. If you see something you want to do, but don't have time, put it on your wish list for the next trip. We usually don't go back to places we have visited, but Bermuda is one destination that is so wonderful we will continue to return there.

Have fun!

Edited by bjtravelnews

Just back from Bermuda (our second time there). We wanted to do some different things. We took the $16.00 shuttle to Horseshoe Bay the first day. Less costly than the NCL shore excursion and they take you right to the bottom of the very long, steep hill. The minivans come and go from the Dockyard constantly. You could get a transportation pass and take the bus, but it is a long ride and you will have to walk the hill. In addition, you will have to wait for the bus (one runs about every 15 minutes) and if the bus is full (quite possible by the afternoon), you will have to wait for the next one. If you do take the bus and change your mind about traveling that way back, the mini-vans in the parking lot will take you back to the Dockyard for $7.00 pp. They only take cash. If you are going to Horsehoe Bay, get there early. The beach fills up fast and umbrellas and chairs sell out. Just a note - if you go to the right when you get to the beach, there is a small cove area that is really nice.

If you like history, take the water taxi over to St. George (you can take a bus, but the water taxi is faster). There are some nice historic places to see there. Keep in mind the last water taxi leaves St. George at 5:30. If you miss it you will have to take the bus.

We got a one-day transportation pass for our second day. We took the water taxi over to Hamilton. There are plenty of places to shop and eat here. It's very much like any other city. We headed over to the bus depot to pick up bus 10 (you can also take bus 11) to get to the Aquarium and Zoo. (Note: They do not take Discover Credit Cards here, only Master Card and Visa.) My daughter really wanted to do this and we all enjoyed the stop. It's not very large, but still worth the money. In addition to the aquarium and zoo, there is a small history museum there - and the building is air conditioned! There is a small restaurant on site of you need a drink or a bite to eat and a gift shop. We had wanted to do the caves (another stop on the same route, but a little further down the road), but spent so much time at the zoo that we skipped it. We got back on the bus (they run every 15 minutes) and headed to St. George. Got some really good ice cream, went to the perfumery and church and went through the shops around the wharf. We took the 3:30 water taxi back to the Dockyard. We packed a lot into that day, but it was really fun. And the public bus ride enabled us to see parts of the island we never would have otherwise seen.

After dinner, we booked a glass bottom boat ride to explore the reefs and a ship-wreck. We came back after sunset. It was nice.

We did the National Museum at the Dockyard on the last day because we wanted to stay close to the dockyard. It's $10 pp (CASH ONLY), but well worth the money. There is so much to see. The only building not open is the commissioner's house. It is undergoing renovations after extensive damage from a hurricane last year. Admission to the museum allows you to see the dolphins from Dolphin Quest (a separate activity). You can see people swim with and interact with the dolphins.

Many people on the ship went to Snorkel Beach on the last day. This is the small private beach that's within walking distance of the Dockyard. Admission is $5.00 and you can rent chairs, umbrellas and snorkeling equipment. There is a restaurant there also. Food and drinks are expensive (the same is true mostly anywhere in Bermuda since everything has to be imported).

Don't forget about the Dockyard Mall. There is a glassblowing shop, rum cake shop and indoor mall with lots of stores. Most of the stores are expensive, but you can find some less pricey tourist kinds of things there too. We stopped for a drink at the Frog and Onion. It was $6.50 for a bottle of beer. Just wanted to say we were there.

There is so much to do in Bermuda. Read the posts in the Bermuda forum to get some more ideas. Don't try to do everything. You will end up tired and will miss out on the real reason for being there - relaxation. If you see something you want to do, but don't have time, put it on your wish list for the next trip. We usually don't go back to places we have visited, but Bermuda is one destination that is so wonderful we will continue to return there.

Have fun!

Very nice and informative post. Thank you.

@bjtravelnews Good stuff!

Wanted to mention that it might be easier to take the ferry (water taxi) to St. George in the morning and travel to the caves and then aquarium by bus. Keep going to Hamilton and then take the ferry back to the dockyards (or by bus).

First thing I would do is get the three day bus pass, you can get all over the island with it including using the ferry.

What we do is before we go to a new island we go to the library and get the Frommers book on Bermuda and read up and you can set up on where you want to go and see. Again the bus is the way we go and the bus station is right off of the dock, you will see a lot from the ship use it.

Have a fun time on the island. If you go to the caves where you go to get the bus there is a restaurant there called twizzers, good for a snack.

@bjtravelnews Good stuff!

Wanted to mention that it might be easier to take the ferry (water taxi) to St. George in the morning and travel to the caves and then aquarium by bus. Keep going to Hamilton and then take the ferry back to the dockyards (or by bus).

Actually, that's what we had planned, but we missed the St. George ferry and didn't want to wait for the next one. So we took the Hamilton ferry and worked our way from the other direction. Would have made more sense to start at St. George since the ferries run later in Hamilton.

The first time we went we did excursions through the ship. Day #1 Horse and Carriage Ride, Day #2 Caves/Aquarium Day #3 Best of Beaches. Warwick Long Beach/Jobson's Cove is next to Horseshoe. Beautiful! But Warwick does not have food, chairs and umbrellas like Horseshoe. Still very nice.

The second time we went we did things on our own. Day #1 Sea Glass Beach, Day #2 Water Taxi to St. George. Day #3 we had to leave early (6 a.m.) because a hurricane was heading toward Bermuda.

Going again in October. I would like to go over to St. George again. This time I'd like to go to the Swizzle Inn. I would also like to go to Horseshoe. Maybe check out one of the Lighthouses. Then hang around the Dockyard area on the last day.

... Going again in October. I would like to go over to St. George again. This time I'd like to go to the Swizzle Inn. I would also like to go to Horseshoe. Maybe check out one of the Lighthouses. Then hang around the Dockyard area on the last day.
\

We passed the Swizzle Inn on the bus to St. George. It's right across the street from the Caves entrance. I have heard really good things about the restaurant. Enjoy!

I wrote a picture intensive review of our cruise to Bermuda. We packed in as much as we could in three days. Bermuda is AMAZING! Details on Bermuda can be found beginning at post 17: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1728780

I definitely recommend a trip to Tobacco Bay if you like snorkeling. Also, if you are able for the walk, the paths and swimming coves between Horseshoe Bay and Warrick Long Bay beach are phenomenal.

When we were in Bermuda several years ago (on the Gem), we had lunch at the original Swizzle Inn (the one near the Caves). It may not look like much, but their Bailey's Bay fish sandwich was one of the best sandwiches we've ever had, and it paired well with Rum Swizzle. :) Sitting out on their balcony, a beautiful day, good food and drink; just one of those memorable vacation lunches!!

BTW, the first morning we were in Bermuda, we took the ferry to St. George's, did the free walking tour there, took the bus to the Swizzle Inn and then the bus to Hamilton, and then the ferry back to the Dockyard. A good itinerary for that day.

LunchatSwizzleInn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

attachment.php?attachmentid=354286&stc=1&d=1435757520

GREAT fish sandwiches at The Swizzle... I'm looking forward to another one in a few weeks!!

When we were in Bermuda several years ago (on the Gem), we had lunch at the original Swizzle Inn (the one near the Caves). It may not look like much, but their Bailey's Bay fish sandwich was one of the best sandwiches we've ever had, and it paired well with Rum Swizzle. :) Sitting out on their balcony, a beautiful day, good food and drink; just one of those memorable vacation lunches!!

BTW, the first morning we were in Bermuda, we took the ferry to St. George's, did the free walking tour there, took the bus to the Swizzle Inn and then the bus to Hamilton, and then the ferry back to the Dockyard. A good itinerary for that day.

LunchatSwizzleInn.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Looks great! We can't wait! :D Thank you, TheDougOut and Turtles06, for the photos and taking the time to post! ;)

Edited by Vicki'sMom

When we went on the Dawn a few years ago we did the bus tour excursion. It was very informative and we learned a lot. We felt this was money well spent.

We also did the shipwreck glass bottom boat, this is something we would not recommend- we felt it was not worth the money- all 11 people in our party agreed on this. We were going on the sunset cruise- but it was cancelled due to weather- I still would like to do this one!

This time we are trying out the HAL Veendam and have scheduled going to Elbow Beach, we are looking forward to this day. We are going to spend the day in Hamilton "window shopping" and would like to check out the Swizzle Inn.

Happy Sailing! We may be two ships that pass in the night!:p