Has anyone ever used a luggage shipping service to get luggage to and from a cruise s

Mommypig

We are doing the World cruise on the PP next January. Because it is a 111 day cruise, we are taking a bit more clothing and stuff to do for the lovely long sea days. My husband is a weaver and will be bringing an 8 harness table top loom and a few kilos of fiber. While we are flying southwest and can check two suitcases a piece, then we also have to drag all that crap during pre and post cruise visits to my daughter in LA. Luggage shipping sounds like a very good idea.

If you have used a luggage service, which one and how did you like it?

thanks

As part of a Grand Voyage HAL provided free luggage service to and from FLL via FedEx. We sent seven bags with no issues at any time. Inasmuch as HAL did provide it I do not know costs. I do know our bags sat in a bonded warehouse someplace in FLL until embarkation.

Susan

Princess' Luggage Valet service uses DHL as the courier.

http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/prepare.jsp (click on 'Luggage Valet' drop down)

The main question to ask is whether Princess allows couriers to deliver direct to the ship other than when purchasing Luggage Valet directly from them.

But there is one caveat from the information on the website:

Serviceable Ports

Service is currently available for voyages embarking and disembarking in the following ports:

<edit>

Los Angeles (Hawaii and Panama Canal voyages only)

<end>

It appears the World Voyage is excluded. So either way I imagine you would have to collect your shipped items from the courier's warehouse rather then at the port.

(And I hope you don't mind two incidental questions:

1. Would you need permission in advance from Princess to bring such items onboard?

2. Does you husband know that you refer the tools of his preferred avocation as "all that crap?" :rolleyes:)

You might want to just contact Princess and see if they have any advice for you as far as shipping your luggage and having it safely stored before your cruise. You can't be the first person with this question.

I believe they even offer a service for luggage but I think it was pretty spendy. Then again, if you can pay for a world cruise...

Yes it is pricey. And now that I more thoroughly recall having read into this in the past all the cruise line-authorized couriers are very, very restrictive on what may be shipped beyond clothing and shoes. Most allow only very limited personal items and prohibit even perfume and makeup.

So the OP is limited to finding a courier who will pick up at their house and has a pick up point for them to retrieve their items near the port in San Pedro. And I can't imagine it being worth the likely several hundred dollar tariff (for shipping and for storage at their hometown until they return) to just avoid having to carry it at disembarkation off the ship to their daughter's place and from there to the airport (not to mention the time and cost of repacking it securely).

Edited by fishywood

If you cannot ship to port.....

How much is extra luggage on Southwest?

Could always ship the overage thru USPS, UPS, FedEx or even pickup at Greyhound. We've found the postal service and Greyhound to be the cheapest alternatives.

It would just be so nice not to have to worry about it during transit. We have had luggage stolen out of rental cars, and off the dock in ports. I would love to have the extra insurance on it during transit and to simply not have to deal with it during the crazy tense pre cruise time.

A third bag on Southwest is only $75, so it would be cheaper than the shipping for sure. It's just the stress of hauling it all around.

As for the loom, it is not huge and does not require any dangerous tools. A pair of small scissors is all he really needs, and it does not take up very much room. And it folds up out of the way when he is not using it. He did tapestry weaving on our last cruise in Polynesia. I wish he would take up knitting. I just need 4 or 5 balls of lace weight or sock weight and I am good for several months. He churns through a lot more fiber weaving.

Lol. Feel your pain. I've schlepped the ingredients for a crochet afghan across the Atlantic. That and my stuff fit into a 22" suitcase and tote.

Get him into Tunisian crochet. Kindof looks like weaving.

Tatting would be even better. :D It would all fit into a sandwich bag.

Edited by SadieN

Lol. Feel your pain. I've schlepped the ingredients for a crochet afghan across the Atlantic. That and my stuff fit into a 22" suitcase and tote.

Get him into Tunisian crochet. Kindof looks like weaving.

Tatting would be even better. :D It would all fit into a sandwich bag.

OMG it would be awesome to watch Mr Kielbasa fingers try to tat! Tunisian crochet would be awesome because we picked up some Donegal tweed in Ireland last November and it would make an incredibly warm thick blanket. The problem is that he likes the whole process of weaving, from the design of the project through the warping of the loom and the finally, the weaving. He will have to wait until we get back to finish them because I refuse to bring the sewing machine!