Drones on cruises?

smilin jack

All national parks, monuments historic sites,,wild life refuges, and government buildings, UNIESCO sites, facilities, all ban any and all drone yes. So if you plan to fly tour drone over these places of natural beauty to take that "shot" its against the law in the US and many other countries.

I should have said that I wasn't going to fly it on the ship...I thought that was implied. I only would fly it and take pictures and videos off the ship in places that would be responsible...

Have you checked the various laws for the countries the ship will be stopping in? For example in Brazil you will need liability insurance that is valid in Brazil. Some other sites list additional restrictions, so this is not a complete list.

General Brazil Drone Laws

Drone use is allowed in Brazil, but there are several Brazil drone laws that need to be followed when flying in the country. Operators must ensure that they follow the following laws when flying in Brazil,

You must be at least 18 years old to fly a drone in Brazil

You must carry insurance at all times to cover third party damage

You must register the operator and equipment information. You can do this by emailing the agency using the contact information at the bottom of this page

You cannot invade others privacy while flying your drone

You must keep your drone at least 30 meters away from people while in operation

You cannot use FPV and must keep your drone within visual line of sight at all times

You must operate under 400 feet and under 200 feet in urban areas

Do not operate your drone in bad weather

Keep your drone away from airports and areas where aircraft are operating

For drones weighing 25-50kg, the following additional Brazil drone laws apply,

Your drone must be approved for use by ANAC

Your drone must be registered with RAB

Pilots must hold CMA, a licence and permits

Each drone flight must be registered

For drones weighing over 150kg, the following additional Brazil drone laws apply,

Drones must be certified by ANAC

Your drone must be registered in the RAB

Pilots must have an aeronautical medical certificate, permit and licence

Each drone flight must be registered

Edited by RDC1

I'd like to thank Wings for being the voice of reason. I still can't understand the negativity and fear I'm seeing over this. Do I need to get that shot? You bet I do. And I'm smart enough to follow rules.

Also, it seems like there is some thought that these things only exist in the US, and bringing one into somewhere like the Caribbean would be some unknown exotic technology. Really? They are everywhere.

The thing that really harshes my mellow though is the fact that they were not readily available for all the past trips I've taken. I could have had some amazing shots.

Unless you work for National Geographic, you do not "need" to get that shot. I suggest the word you're looking for is "want," not "need." We all have wants. Many go unmet.

I have now been on two Oceania cruises where I've seen drones flying near the back of the ship. We had no idea who was flying them, and for what purpose. I can't remember where we were, but I'm thinking one place was while docked in Valparaiso. The drones seem to hover and explore outside the Terrace area, if I remember correctly. They were around for 5 minutes or so and then disappeared. i was curious about them, but had no idea why they were there. Is it possible that police or Immigration or Coast Guard employees are using them to check out the passengers? Or Oceania? When it has happened, I've always wondered.