Drones on cruises?

smilin jack

One should note drones are not legal in ALL US national parks, monuments, historical parks wild life refuges and wilderness designated areas.

Most all foreign parks, nature reserves, cultural monuments , world wide also adhere to similar restrictions.

In countries with " Napoleonic base llaws such as much of south and central america your considered guilty of a crime and with a drone probably assumed to have committed a crime by mere possession. Many countries have laws preventing flying them over any private, state, government, port, properties and with sever legal, criminal and civil penalties.

As WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES, FLAMMABLE and hazardous materiaLS are prohibited on a ship, so too should any drone, at ANY time unless the military or police are using it to conduct an operation. Drones can be converted or subverted in an instant to weapons and nasty devices...no different than guns or bombs.

One should note drones are not legal in ALL US national parks, monuments, historical parks wild life refuges and wilderness designated areas.

Most all foreign parks, nature reserves, cultural monuments , world wide also adhere to similar restrictions.

In countries with " Napoleonic base llaws such as much of south and central america your considered guilty of a crime and with a drone probably assumed to have committed a crime by mere possession. Many countries have laws preventing flying them over any private, state, government, port, properties and with sever legal, criminal and civil penalties.

As WEAPONS, EXPLOSIVES, FLAMMABLE and hazardous materiaLS are prohibited on a ship, so too should any drone, at ANY time unless the military or police are using it to conduct an operation. Drones can be converted or subverted in an instant to weapons and nasty devices...no different than guns or bombs.

Drones are stored on the ship on behalf of the owners, and will be allowed to disembark with them. How many instances can you cite where people have used drones as weapons? I can think of one, where a guy lifted a pistol. He ws promptly arrested. Commercial grade, non-professional aerial photography equipment is incapable of lifting anything heavy, so the idea that these can be used to to turn into weapons is preposterous.

Countries do enforce their own laws with respect to UAS flight - it will be incumbent on drone pilots to be aware of those laws. If they get busted, that's not your problem, or the cruise lines's problem.

Imagine a bunch of bored 12 year olds on a cruise ship with drones! Many parents are stupid enough to allow it!

Drone equipment is confiscated and stored on board while at sea. You won't see any drones flying around, unless someone gets away with bringing one on board, regardless of the new rule now, or the rules in force before it was changed.

Passengers won't be aware of it, because the equipment will be stored securely on board, and released during port calls. Keeps everyone happy hopefully.

They may not be aware of it but surely will not be happy if they appear in the pictures taken by the drone without their knowledge or consent :eek:

On this years world cruise, the son of one of the lectures brought on one and used it while off the ship. He showed some great photos he had made.

I'm not sure of any arrangements that were made re storing the device while on the ship.

A drone passing my veranda will be met with a chair projectile against it.:) Am I kidding or not?

Seriously certain countries (like Russia) will not take kindly to tourists flying around airborne vehicles. It's tough enough to get permission to fly a certified aircraft.

Nevertheless it could be fun applying for all those permits (not)

Such an interesting and hostile reaction. I'll be buying and learning a drone specifically for my next trip. It is nothing more than a remote camera, and they take amazing shots.

Of course I'll follow whatever rules the ship puts in place, but seeing a drone as a weapon? Please. I can do more damage with a sock and a soda can.

I'm a bit curious if you were against Polaroid cameras when they first came out as well. Instant development with no oversight was quite scandalous back in the day.

Such an interesting and hostile reaction. I'll be buying and learning a drone specifically for my next trip. It is nothing more than a remote camera, and they take amazing shots.

Of course I'll follow whatever rules the ship puts in place, but seeing a drone as a weapon? Please. I can do more damage with a sock and a soda can.

I'm a bit curious if you were against Polaroid cameras when they first came out as well. Instant development with no oversight was quite scandalous back in the day.

I'm old enough to remember the early black-and-white peel-off Polaroids of the 1950's, and am unaware of any scandal or suggestion that Polaroid owners needed oversight lest they photograph something unseemly (which they undoubtedly did). On the other hand, I am equally unaware that anything that Dr. Land invented had the capability of hovering over the private property or space of others, or make annoying whirring noises in places noted for their peace and quiet.

What is the position of Oceania on allowing them on the ship?

i see Wayne mentioned someone used one ashore on the RTW cruise but did Oceania allow it to be used onboard?

What RCL does is not the same as what Oceania does or is it ??

Edited by LHT28

They may not be aware of it but surely will not be happy if they appear in the pictures taken by the drone without their knowledge or consent :eek:

I guess you're not following. Drones are not available to fly while on board, but only during port calls. Your chances of being photographed by a drone are surely no more or less than any other tourist on shore with a camera :)

Edited by WingsThree

A drone passing my veranda will be met with a chair projectile against it.:) Am I kidding or not?

Seriously certain countries (like Russia) will not take kindly to tourists flying around airborne vehicles. It's tough enough to get permission to fly a certified aircraft.

Nevertheless it could be fun applying for all those permits (not)

As I mentioned, countries have implemented their own laws regulated both commercial and private hobby drone use. It's up to drone users to determine the laws and comply accordingly. It really doesn't have anything to do with cruise lines. Their interest is not permitting drone flights around the ship, especially at sea.

I'm old enough to remember the early black-and-white peel-off Polaroids of the 1950's, and am unaware of any scandal or suggestion that Polaroid owners needed oversight lest they photograph something unseemly (which they undoubtedly did). On the other hand, I am equally unaware that anything that Dr. Land invented had the capability of hovering over the private property or space of others, or make annoying whirring noises in places noted for their peace and quiet.

With the advent of the technology, which is advancing rapidly, the US government has implemented strict rules governing drone flights, in the interest of airspace safety, which the FAA owns everywhere from the surface up. Many foreign countries are doing the same. There's an element of common sense involved, such as not being a nuisance. There will always be people who will deviate from the intent and spirit of these new regulations, just like any other aspect of life. But I'm optimistic that most of us will fly our machines such that you won't notice, and if you do notice, it might actually be interesting :)

I have a DJI Phantom 3 professional quadcopter that takes 4k videos and still pictures. I am planning to take it on our Amazon cruise in November.

Has anybody done this before? I am an old guy, and a very responsible drone operator...I flew airplanes for over 40 years....

Just curious of others experience on cruises.

Is it equipped with Hellfire's?

Obviously naive here but what happens when in a country that's borderline friendly to the US sees a drone and mistakes it for having a look at things other than tourist? Is it SO necessary to capture personal photos?

I suppose that's up to the drone pilot to determine? Not sure how or what that's relevant to cruise lines' rules regarding drone equipment on board.

Again, there are online resources for international travelers that describe each country's regulations, which, incidentally, tend to mirror those implemented by the FAA in the United States.

The OP is assuming most other countries are benevolent when it comes to leading edge technologies.

As I stated earlier in an earlier post, the Drone operator is solely responsible for clearing activity, up and down the chain with national and local authorities. If one ventures into a hostile situation from local police official who may not be aware of the state of the art legal interpretations (most likely) one may be detained and miss the ship.

And don't look to the cruise line to bail you out, nor the State Dept.

My motivation here is to suggest to defer to caution whether it is some lesser country or a major like the UK or PRC. The UK (and most of Europe) authorities are particularly sensitive to airborne intrusions due to the attacks over the last year. And yes the drone can be lethal.

The OP is assuming most other countries are benevolent when it comes to leading edge technologies.

As I stated earlier in an earlier post, the Drone operator is solely responsible for clearing activity, up and down the chain with national and local authorities. If one ventures into a hostile situation from local police official who may not be aware of the state of the art legal interpretations (most likely) one may be detained and miss the ship.

And don't look to the cruise line to bail you out, nor the State Dept.

My motivation here is to suggest to defer to caution whether it is some lesser country or a major like the UK or PRC. The UK (and most of Europe) authorities are particularly sensitive to airborne intrusions due to the attacks over the last year. And yes the drone can be lethal.

You are actually incorrect with regard to "clearing activity up and down the chain of national and local authorities" if you mean that actual permission must be obtained by the pilot. In most countries, advance permission is required for commercial purposes, (Brazil, for example, prohibits commercial use entirely.)

There are several resources to research UAS flying in foreign countries..most are common sense, but still taken seriously. Most require flight no closer than 8km to military and civilian airports, and the general altitude limit is 120 meters (400 feet.) Almost all rules state pilots will not fly directly overhead crowds of people. While European countries are certainly sensitive to potential terrorist activity, they recognize that these threats won't be coming from drones weighing less than 7 kg, which is the vast majority of hobby grade aerial photography equipment. If in doubt, it might not be a bad idea to carry a copy of the regulations, in the event local law enforcement asks questions.

You are correct that the cruise line (or any other means of transportation for that matter) is not in the business of rescuing customers who violate local laws.

In short, pay attention to local rules, and people will be fine.

I can't believe any one would consider flying a drone from a ship or over a ship without the express permission of the ship , I.e. The Captian , and to be honest I can't believe this permission would be granted.

I don't know to much about drones but how stable would they be at sea with fickle winds , strong winds, like forinstance one gets in Montenegro.

Other than that don't some cruise ships have clay pigeon shooting , could be a new source of targets ! Might be fun

I'd like to thank Wings for being the voice of reason. I still can't understand the negativity and fear I'm seeing over this. Do I need to get that shot? You bet I do. And I'm smart enough to follow rules.

Also, it seems like there is some thought that these things only exist in the US, and bringing one into somewhere like the Caribbean would be some unknown exotic technology. Really? They are everywhere.

The thing that really harshes my mellow though is the fact that they were not readily available for all the past trips I've taken. I could have had some amazing shots.

I can't believe any one would consider flying a drone from a ship or over a ship without the express permission of the ship , I.e. The Captian , and to be honest I can't believe this permission would be granted.

I don't know to much about drones but how stable would they be at sea with fickle winds , strong winds, like forinstance one gets in Montenegro.

Other than that don't some cruise ships have clay pigeon shooting , could be a new source of targets ! Might be fun

I like that option, and while the concept of free and responsible thinking should prevail let us consider the intrusion that phones, pads, electronic gizmos have made. The selfie obsessed, The check my e-mail or post 150 times a day, The people snapping pictures of each others food at fine dining, the worship of self and their own world. like zombies detached from the world and into theirs without a care or consideration for anyone else but them.

The concept of being responsible is or has not been demonstrated with these current techno toys, adding drones to the list of self serving gadgets which are wholly designed for personal gratification without any other consideration for others. It just takes narcissism to the next level..I want I need, I....Me..myself and more of me.

Drones are simply another level of self indulgent behavior at the expense of everyone else..

You are actually incorrect with regard to "clearing activity up and down the chain of national and local authorities" if you mean that actual permission must be obtained by the pilot. In most countries, advance permission is required for commercial purposes, (Brazil, for example, prohibits commercial use entirely.)

There are several resources to research UAS flying in foreign countries..most are common sense, but still taken seriously. Most require flight no closer than 8km to military and civilian airports, and the general altitude limit is 120 meters (400 feet.) Almost all rules state pilots will not fly directly overhead crowds of people. While European countries are certainly sensitive to potential terrorist activity, they recognize that these threats won't be coming from drones weighing less than 7 kg, which is the vast majority of hobby grade aerial photography equipment. If in doubt, it might not be a bad idea to carry a copy of the regulations, in the event local law enforcement asks questions.

You are correct that the cruise line (or any other means of transportation for that matter) is not in the business of rescuing customers who violate local laws.

In short, pay attention to local rules, and people will be fine.

You write like an expert so I presume, you will indemnify all those who heed your advice. Good Luck to you and your adventures.

Having returned from China in May, I have a newfound hatred of selfie sticks and small drones. Being considerable taller than 90+% of the Chinese population, I was constantly getting whacked by selfie sticks. The arch, in which they were swung might well have missed the shorter tourists, but not me! :mad: I was about ready to do a body insertion of one with one young man that was constantly whacking all around him.

Drones, buzzing like mosquitoes, flying around crowded tourist areas at low altitudes was likewise a problem. Take off and landings at crowded places, like the Summer Palace, was a zoo with the drones zipping around! Especially hated those in-side of buildings!

Will the Vatican or the Luv soon have to put up "NO Drones" inside signs to keep those that want to sit on their butts and let the drones do the picture taking? Will people carrying drones soon be denied entry to these places?

Having returned from China in May, I have a newfound hatred of selfie sticks and small drones. Being considerable taller than 90+% of the Chinese population, I was constantly getting whacked by selfie sticks. The arch, in which they were swung might well have missed the shorter tourists, but not me! :mad: I was about ready to do a body insertion of one with one young man that was constantly whacking all around him.

Drones, buzzing like mosquitoes, flying around crowded tourist areas at low altitudes was likewise a problem. Take off and landings at crowded places, like the Summer Palace, was a zoo with the drones zipping around! Especially hated those in-side of buildings!

Will the Vatican or the Luv soon have to put up "NO Drones" inside signs to keep those that want to sit on their butts and let the drones do the picture taking? Will people carrying drones soon be denied entry to these places?

It's called infringing on one's space. In Florida, the State Legislature passed a law that allows the harmed party to sue for harassment and physiological damages. Not helpful in the Vatican or the wild west Chinese, but good reason will spread. Thank you for deciding for me not to go to the Summer Palace or China for that matter. Plenty of other places to visit, until the Chinese get their act together.

• 2 months later...

just called Celebrity and they told me it is allowed to bring the drone onboard but they will take it from you when you board. You can have it back at the ports/islands and use at your own risk following local regulations. The information as of 12/16/2016. This makes a lot of sense to me so we can still enjoy our drones at destinations but won't be tempted to use on the ship (which would be really stupid).