Windjammer/MDR questions

Amanda, past experience on the Explorer is going to be less helpful to you than, perhaps, other ships in other places.

The Explorer has never sailed from Australia before, and has never sailed with primarily Australians on board. (this is a presumption, I know, but one that I am fairly confident of ;) )

In general, though, once the Windjammer opens in the morning for early breakfast, it stays open until late afternoon. (the staff just segues from one meal into the next, closing off just one side then reopening with the next meal) (The Windjammer is two-sided, serving-wise) It then closes for about an hour to get ready for dinner. It then closes after dinner (usually around 9:30) and does not re-open until the following morning.

And making reservations for My Time Dining? How easy it is to MAKE reservations and CHANGE reservations or WAIT for a table on the actual evening..........is a function of who else is on board. Some cruises, it's very easy to just walk up to the podium and say, "Party of 4" and be seated instantly. On others, you are told that it is going to be a very long wait. It depends on your fellow cruisers.

That is the reason that others are telling you to make reservations on the website as soon as you can, because you can always change them later.

As for entertainment..............if you really want to see the shows, just book your MTD reservations close to the fixed/traditional dining times. That's how the entertainment schedule is set: to accommodate those times.

:)

Just a warning. We just got off Serenade and had MTD. Never again. They really seemed to be unable to pull this off. The people doing the seating could not seem to determine which tables were open and service was horrid.

As I wrote, it varies from ship to ship and sailing to sailing.