Full English

Tom Baker

Can anyone who's sailed Ex UK this year (Caribbean Princess) tell me if they managed to order a Full English Breakfast from the MDR or have Princess yet again decided to omit it from the menu.

Thanks in advance :)

Can anyone who's sailed Ex UK this year (Caribbean Princess) tell me if they managed to order a Full English Breakfast from the MDR or have Princess yet again decided to omit it from the menu.

Thanks in advance :)

I know they have all the ingredients in the buffet. Perhaps if you ask for it in the MDR, they will be able to provide it for you.

Hi

The only ship that did a full traditional English was the Sea Princess,

Princess today does an American idea of the full English

Sausage that is spicy

Bacon that is crispy

Hash Browns ?

and as for a black pudding

or a fried tomato

yours Shogun

On a couple of cruises, not ex UK, I had English Bacon in MDR at breakfast. But it was not like English Bacon as I remember it. Maybe I'll ask for it to be crispy next time.

On Med cruise I was amazed at the eggs, even in Buffet. Lovely golden yolks. Supermarket eggs that we get in US are pale and insipid. We go to local farm for flavorful free range eggs.

On the CB a few weeks ago they had EVERYTHING for a full English in the buffet, so would expect them to be able to do it in the dining room.

However, it was very obvious their stires people had no experience of cruises out of the uk. Several beers, wines, and champagnes ran out, not a huge problem but it meant 2nd choice for many drinks. The worst though was running out of English bacon 6 days into a 13 day cruise. Unforgivable. The head chef on board was as livid as a lot of passengers as he had ordered it, but it was not delivered.

The 7 day cruise previous was not so bad, we only ran out of champagne that week.

This was on the Caribbean princess out of Southampton in May/ June.

I know they have all the ingredients in the buffet. Perhaps if you ask for it in the MDR, they will be able to provide it for you.

On a couple of cruises, not ex UK, I had English Bacon in MDR at breakfast. But it was not like English Bacon as I remember it. Maybe I'll ask for it to be crispy next time.

On Med cruise I was amazed at the eggs, even in Buffet. Lovely golden yolks. Supermarket eggs that we get in US are pale and insipid. We go to local farm for flavorful free range eggs.

I agree, there was good availability at the buffet. :)

On the CB a few weeks ago they had EVERYTHING for a full English in the buffet, so would expect them to be able to do it in the dining room.

However, it was very obvious their stires people had no experience of cruises out of the uk. Several beers, wines, and champagnes ran out, not a huge problem but it meant 2nd choice for many drinks. The worst though was running out of English bacon 6 days into a 13 day cruise. Unforgivable. The head chef on board was as livid as a lot of passengers as he had ordered it, but it was not delivered.

The 7 day cruise previous was not so bad, we only ran out of champagne that week.

This was on the Caribbean princess out of Southampton in May/ June.

Thanks, good to know! I'll pack some Danish and a bottle of Krug for week two ;)

On our Ruby ta last fall departing from Southampton we were able to get English bacon every day in HC. If it wasn't on the buffet we simply asked for it, and we had no problem getting it.

.............. The worst though was running out of English bacon 6 days into a 13 day cruise. Unforgivable. The head chef on board was as livid as a lot of passengers as he had ordered it, but it was not delivered.

At the risk of raising some hackles on some on this board, probably purloined by the longshoremen........or does that only happen in US ports??:cool:

Inquiring diners want to know....:D

At the risk of raising some hackles on some on this board, probably purloined by the longshoremen........or does that only happen in US ports??:cool:

Well, US longshoremen prefer American bacon and would consider English bacon weird. They would also look askance at baked beans for breakfast served with fried bread. Really? Are we going to play "Blame the Longshoremen" again? :rolleyes:

What is served at a Full English Breakfast? How does it differ from a American breakfast?

Check here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_breakfast

Here: http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/08/guide-to-a-fry-up-full-british-breakfast-what-is-in-ingredients.html

Or here: http://ny.eater.com/2015/2/23/7962765/the-full-monty-english-irish-breakfast-in-nyc

A lot of protein and a few carbs involved...... maybe a little fat as well.....:cool:

Thanks ar1950. That is a lot of food ! It looks great.

We particularly enjoy the fried tomatoes. The beans are OK on the American itineraries, just a little too much like Van Camps canned pork and beans (which, in retrospect, is probably what they are :cool:). None the less, always a good option for a big breakfast. Especially if you know lunch because of an excursion will be late. :rolleyes:

Hi swissdave

If l read your post right you were drunk for most of your cruise and you put on a few pounds

Yours Shogun

You are certainly right about the first part, 3 weeks of all inclusive drinks package had that effect.

Since January i have lost 24 pounds/12kg and after 3 weeks was exactly the same weight as at the start of the cruise. Food was great in MDR, buffet, crown grill , infact better than I can remember, but i was sensible on that front :)

I was watching the loading in Southampton, Barcelona and Rome and didn't see any 'purloining'. They all looked far too busy to have the time.

In Southampton the longshore men get tea/coffee pastries etc, in Barcelona they get the same, and in rome they get coffee and pizza supplied by the ship during their break time. Ships security was very evident at all times.

Not saying it doest happen, but I've never seen it.

Thanks, good to know! I'll pack some Danish and a bottle of Krug for week two ;)

I'd bring a full case of Krug, or Krystal if I could afford it.

If the bacon runs out you can always get your fix in Gib, just as I did, as well as sausage rolls and pork pies, of which the latter 2 I took back on board with me for lunch and dinner over the next day.

Hi swissdave

Got time to join us on the Emerald for its TA this autumn

Yours Shogun

I will certainly have a look, was looking at british isles in august with some friends but prices are stubbornly high.

If price, dates, and number of days holiday fit then chances might be high :)