Grand Whittier departure - muster drill

Kirsten T

If you've done the southbound Voyage of the Glaciers - how do they handle dinner if the muster drill is (I assume) around 7:45 before an 8:30 departure? Do they stop seating people in the MDRs at some point before the drill? Just curious. We're accompanying my 80+-year old parents and they'll no doubt want to eat early anyway. ;)

Dining will all be open seating that evening and they will stop serving in preparation for muster drill. So, yes, your parents may wish to dine early rather than having to wait until things reopen again after muster drill.

The specialty restaurants do not begin serving until about 9 pm that evening. so I would not recommend that option for your departure from Whittier. Have a fantastic cruise.

Was wondering if there will be a dining room back up around 6 pm since everyone will be trying to finish ahead of the cut off....

We are doing a Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise that returns to Whittier about 5:30 pm so we won't be aboard much before dining starts. Maybe the Bistro that night?

In addition to the 3 main dining rooms, there is the Horizon Court buffet, as well as the pizza and hot dog/hamburger grill on Lido. Down on Deck 5, there is the International Café and Alfredo's which is the "sit down" pizza café.

I don't think they experience long waiting lines on the first evening for dinner...don't know exactly why, but perhaps because a lot of people do tend to board somewhat later and are looking for a quick bite, and to be able to get unpacked and settled in. (We did not notice any bad lines.)

If there is a wait at a particular dining room, you can be sure that evening that the 3 Head Waiters on the door for each are communicating about how much seating they each have available and directing passengers to the best option.

While the menu is limited, there is also the room service option.

In addition to the 3 main dining rooms, there is the Horizon Court buffet, as well as the pizza and hot dog/hamburger grill on Lido. Down on Deck 5, there is the International Café and Alfredo's which is the "sit down" pizza café.

I don't think they experience long waiting lines on the first evening for dinner...don't know exactly why, but perhaps because a lot of people do tend to board somewhat later and are looking for a quick bite, and to be able to get unpacked and settled in. (We did not notice any bad lines.)

If there is a wait at a particular dining room, you can be sure that evening that the 3 Head Waiters on the door for each are communicating about how much seating they each have available and directing passengers to the best option.

While the menu is limited, there is also the room service option.

Thanks ggprincess2004,

I knew about the other options but I use the dining room as much as possible on a cruise since I live alone and can't get that kind of service at home :D I do love the Internaltional cafe once in a while though!

Edited by LEtue

Make sure you spend some time on deck after sailaway from Whittier. I consider it some of the most spectacular you will see on your crusie and spend a couple hours on deck after sailaway. Lots of people totally miss it as they go to bed early after the long day getting to the ship.

Was wondering if there will be a dining room back up around 6 pm since everyone will be trying to finish ahead of the cut off....

We are doing a Phillips 26 Glacier Cruise that returns to Whittier about 5:30 pm so we won't be aboard much before dining starts. Maybe the Bistro that night?

When you board that day you will be handed a card indicating at what time you should dine. Early arrivals will be assigned early (5:30 to 6 maybe) and later arrivals will be assigned a time after the drill.

It is open seating, but not anytime. You go at the assigned time.

Thanks, everyone, for the info - sounds like we'll have no trouble getting Mom and Dad some food before the drill. And I've actually been looking forward to the departure, since last time we did the northbound itinerary and arrived after midnight. I'm excited to finally see how the heck we got in there. :)