Traveling w/2 year old/single mom

MOFamilyof4

Quick question my niece is joining us our on cruise traveling on the Getaway in January she is bringing her son who is 2, her and the dad have never been married and he is not listed on the birth certificate and they have the same last name, is the raised seal birth certificate going to adequate? I know a lot of people say get the passport but dad has nothing to do with child and never has, so not sure how that would work.

Thanks!

Quick question my niece is joining us our on cruise traveling on the Getaway in January she is bringing her son who is 2, her and the dad have never been married and he is not listed on the birth certificate and they have the same last name, is the raised seal birth certificate going to adequate? I know a lot of people say get the passport but dad has nothing to do with child and never has, so not sure how that would work.

Thanks!

2 year old does not need passport, just official birth certificate.

Cruise line usually wants notarized permission from other parent. Not sure how that works in her case.

Thanks!

As I understand your statement, the father is not listed on the BC. If this is the case there will be no problem leaving the country because as far as the government is concerned there is no father.

Also don't let people make you believe that you have to have a raised seal on the BC, all you need is a copy of the birth certificate that is certified by the issuing governmental agency.

2 year old does not need passport, just official birth certificate.

Cruise line usually wants notarized permission from other parent. Not sure how that works in her case.

If you're leaving your own country, I think everyone needs a passport regardless of age. In this post 9/11 world, security is tight. Better get a passport , you don't want to get turned away. It's better to be safe than sorry.

If you're leaving your own country, I think everyone needs a passport regardless of age. In this post 9/11 world, security is tight. Better get a passport , you don't want to get turned away. It's better to be safe than sorry.

OP is traveling on Getaway in January. That is a closed loop cruise. OP is from Missouri so most likely a US citizen. No passport needed on closed loop cruises.

Thanks!

They have the same last name means what? The son has Mom's last name? Did she give the son the father's last name?

If there is no father, then she needs nothing but the state issued BC

Agree... My son's father isn't listed on his birth certificate and I was able to bring him with no problems using just a birth certificate. I also had no problems getting his passport when I got it and renewed it. We have been on 6 cruises... disney royal and NCL.

OP, I would get in touch with NCL directly, either call them or perhaps get in touch with their access desk for the most up to date and definitive response. If you choose email you can print out the reply and take that along in case the check in person questions anythibg. It will just give you a bit of peace of mind.

I just booked and the agent told me all was needed for our cruise (4-day Bahamas our of MIA) was a birth certificate....but I'm still getting them (my kids) their passports.

Edited by chapchap