Cruising to Papua New Guinea!!

Sailaway John

Hi all,

Papua New Guinea - 19th May, 2016. We have deposited for this cruise. Heard a lot about PNG (Papua New Guinea). Some good, some not so good but have decided to see for ourselves.

Anyone going on this cruise or have been on a cruise to PNG I ask what was it like? Believe it is a new world.

th_AUSTRALIAN_FLAG.jpg.3ed109976f88c0e5cd22e778d8725361.jpg

No experience here but a s. Pacific cruise is high on my bucket list. enjoy your cruise. We have done Australia and New Zealand, now booked for Hawaii, and will now have to cruise between

I visited on land. Hubby used to live there. You should definitely see it. Snorkeling is good. Markets are fun. Listen to your guides, etc. because "rascals" are a real problem. We still know lots of people to live and spend time there.

We were in Rabaul for the shortly after the eruption of Tavurur in 2009 What an experience that was. I believe the cruise you are on will go to the less congested ports , so that is to your advantage. Watch out for 'rascals', but it's definitely new world.

The local do amazing wood carvings. Hope you manage to bring one home (we did)

Enjoy the cruise and the countdown.

In 2002 on the old Regal Princess, we called at Rabaul on a 'transpacific' (Bangkok - San Francisco).

In the morning, we wandered into 'town' and looked around the local market where I bought a six-pack of the local beer to take back to the ship. I was wearing sneakers with white sports socks... that got stained red from the ubiquitous betel nut expectoration produced by all the natives... LOL. Walking along the road/path, we were surrounded by a group of teenagers who wanted money to protect us from "the rascals". I told them they were the rascals. After following us for a while they gave up and went away.

After lunch, all the ship-booked shore excursion tours had finished. The operators were hanging around the tender dock looking for customers and we negotiated with some of the ship's dancers for a tour at half the price. It was great (you just had to be careful not to fall through the giant rust holes in the floor of the van). We went to all the sights: volcano observatory, Yamamoto's bunker etc. with some amazing 'lansdcapes' - ash from eruptions, yellow/orange sulphur deposits and boiling water bubbling up through the sand on the beach... got some incredible pictures of the ship at anchor in the small, circular bay surrounded by the two volcanoes (Mt. Tavurur belching a huge steam cloud).

All-in-all, one of the most memorable days of the cruise.

Just returned last night! PNG is truly a place not to miss! You have made the right choice. The people, the colorful ethnic clothes, the festive competitions, even the ongoing spewing of the volcano are interesting and still unique. It IS hot, but it is so enjoyable, it is easy to tolerate:D We had 5 stops there. Loved them. Enjoy your cruise.

Hi all,

Papua New Guinea - 19th May, 2016. We have deposited for this cruise. Heard a lot about PNG (Papua New Guinea). Some good, some not so good but have decided to see for ourselves.

Anyone going on this cruise or have been on a cruise to PNG I ask what was it like? Believe it is a new world.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi. Not sure what all you want to spend it on, or where you're from, but both USD and AUD are accepted in most places(except local food markets). I would suggest, though, at least 100 dollars worth of either AUD or USD in local money(they do tend to take AUD over USD as they are more familiar with it).Except in the capitol area, you will not be able to use credit cards. You will have a great time!:)

We are going to Papua New Guinea for 10 days - can you advise how much local money would be required for a few souvenirs and gifts at markets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We went there in November 2014 with Princess. Ship generally visits islands plus Rabaul and Alotau. People very friendly and welcoming. Still very much a third world country. Taxis are very cheap, we ended up paying the driver/s double as they were so helpful. Roads a bit interesting lots of pot holes. Please take local currency Kina as they have to change Aus and U.S. Dollars and get ripped off with exchange rates. We bought some carvings, a bit unsure whether they would get back into Australia but no problems, check them first fo any evidence of insects. We also bought thirst, caps, sarongs. We paid for outrigger tours from beach to small island, bit dodgy as they were handmade but all Ok. Go with an open mind, people lovely, English not too good but we coped with lots of gestures and smiles. We took colouring in books and pencils for kids, checked with parents first before giving them. On two occasions the dads came back to us once with a coconut and once with some bananas. A lovely thing to do.

Thanks for your feedback with my general enquiry. We could only get. 240 Kina in small denominations, so we'll take Aussie money as a back up. We are taking educational games and resources for teachers. Good advice on carvings too. Looking forward to meeting the local people!

Thanks again, problem solved.

You're welcome. The items for the teachers/children is excellent, also. We did that too, and even though we gave our items to both teachers and parents(depending on what we had for them), we had some of the children come up to us smiling, some with items they hand made to thank us! You will love your time there. Enjoy!

Thanks for your feedback with my general enquiry. We could only get. 240 Kina in small denominations, so we'll take Aussie money as a back up. We are taking educational games and resources for teachers. Good advice on carvings too. Looking forward to meeting the local people!

Thanks again, problem solved.