Cozumel for Day of the Dead

Emeraldeyes5969

There are some YouTubes on this. You may notice that the public celebrations, which occur on November 2nd, the 3rd day of the All Soul's holidays, take place at night. So unless your ship in in port late, you won't be able to witness any of these. Most of the honoring of the dead takes place inside homes and in cemeteries. The Museo, on Rafael, Melgar and Calle 4 Norte, though will probably have some exhibits related to the Day of the Dead. That'd be your best bet. You might find candies and skulls and other things in local stores just before these celebrations occur. Some of the bakeries will make skull cakes and other treats. Zematt's Bakery, a block inland from the Mueso, is a good place to ask.

Not a big deal here.. There may be a few alters up in some establishments and flowers at the grave yard. The big celebrations are in Oaxaca, Patzcuero, and near Mexico city. The kids here are moving more and more towards Halloween and away from their cultural past.

as mentioned by others, Day of the Dead is not a huge deal in Cozumel.

Where I live, in New Mexico, it is HUGE with parades and parties all day. Cozumel... not so much.

the BIG celebration in Cozumel is Carnivale in late February every year. It is a week long party with parades every day, streets shut down for dancers and demos, all day long. It is insane. If you are looking for a HUGE cool celebration, go then.

Edited by ABQrobin

• 3 weeks later...

Reminds me of when we were in Cozumel once on May 5th. We thought there would be Cinco de Mayo celebrations happening everywhere. Nope - locals didn't know what we were talking about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
as mentioned by others, Day of the Dead is not a huge deal in Cozumel.

Where I live, in New Mexico, it is HUGE with parades and parties all day. Cozumel... not so much.

the BIG celebration in Cozumel is Carnivale in late February every year. It is a week long party with parades every day, streets shut down for dancers and demos, all day long. It is insane. If you are looking for a HUGE cool celebration, go then.

I just got home from Cozumel on the 1st and my friends who live there said it is still a big deal. They are going to even help me set up my alter for my hubby since being on a ship I won't have anything to build it with.