Glory days - my review with photos

Scubadoobie2

Loved your pictures. If you paid for those clamshells, they are YOURS. That's like saying I shouldn't have picked a balcony room near the elevator because an elderly person or disabled person might have needed it. Nope. You aren't expected to wait until every single elderly or disabled or young person walked by to make sure they don't need those clamshells before you rent them. It's YOUR vacation and it looks like you guys had an amazing time!!!

Loved your pictures. If you paid for those clamshells, they are YOURS. That's like saying I shouldn't have picked a balcony room near the elevator because an elderly person or disabled person might have needed it. Nope. You aren't expected to wait until every single elderly or disabled or young person walked by to make sure they don't need those clamshells before you rent them. It's YOUR vacation and it looks like you guys had an amazing time!!!

Thank you, TiffyLtheDork. I like you and your thinking already and haven't even met you. I'm guessing that Seagull7 overlooked the fact that the clamshells on which I placed the "Reserved" signs were paid for and that the signs were provided by the folks who rent them out.

To: Mulan1123,

Be sure to visit those almost-secret places on the ship that I mentioned, especially the Fish & Chips if you like seafood. And, those semi-hidden outdoor viewing arrears at the front of decks 6,7 and 10. I hope you enjoy the heck out of your cruise...and any clamshell you may rent on HMC. I think you're going to love the cruise director, Mike, too. He was everywhere and always joking around.

Thanks for the review, we sail on Glory next year on the same itinerary. I cannot wait!

How much are the clamshells?

I THINK they were $25 each, though they might have been a couple of bucks cheaper. They are designed for 2 but you CAN squeeze a 3rd lounger in if needed. I believe you can check out the price through Carnival's website in their excursions section. Have a great cruise!

I am loving the trip review as we sail the Glory Oct 17th

Also see nothing wrong with the reserved signs on payed clam shells

I need to go back and reread where those hidden secret areas are

We will be in your area (Vegas) in August hubbys fav place we go 2-3 times a year and will be celebrating his bday there

:)

Edited by vdarrell

As for Seagull7 flaming me for reserving 3 clamshells for my group.... I agree that it is a bit selfish on my part, on behalf of my group. But, most were on their 1st cruise and I just wanted to make it as nice for them as I had the power to do.

I don't see that as being the same as reserving loungers on the ship with a towel. I don't do that. Those loungers on the ship are free to absolutely anyone on board. The clamshells must be paid for, and to my understanding, can only be rented once on the beach. I don't feel morally obligated to refrain from renting three clamshells (to be shared by 11 people) -- when there are MANY of them on the beach -- on the chance that someone with children will be deprived or that a person with a disability will be deprived of a clamshell.

Scubadoobie, I apologize for seeming to come across as being harsh and I certainly wasn't meaning to "flame" you by any means, whatever that means exactly. But I do have to admit that it really does irk me when I see all of those "reserved" towels on pool loungers when the rules say guests are not allowed to do it.

Your review and comments about the Clamshells did not say that you rented them, only that you reserved them. As one can tell from other responses, we did not know that they were, indeed, rented/paid for. In that case, what you paid for is yours and you don't need to defend yourself, nor should anyone question your right to them.

What I was/am talking about is the blatant rudeness of others, which seems to be a serious problem in today's society that I simply can't abide. So, when all is said and done, I'm glad there were Clamshells available and that you were able to enjoy them on your vacation. In addition, thank you for clearing up the confusion.

Seagull7,

I hope your September cruise on the Glory is blessed with good weather and that you have a great cruise. My bad for not making it clear that those clamshells were rentals.

Don't let rude or inconsiderate people annoy you, at least, not for more than passing moment. Savor the good moments and quickly forget the bad. That attitude, supplemented with a dose of good weather, will assure you of a great cruise. :D P.S. Wear plenty of sunscreen, whether you rent a clamshell or not. ;)

Thx so much for the info. Yes that helps determine the location being the southern portion of the island.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your dives.

Hey, El Pistoffo, glad I sorta met you through this thread. Since you asked about the particular dive location I'm thinking that you must know a thing or two about the best places to dive at Grand Turk. So, a question... (I sure hope you see this):

Do you have a recommendation for where to dive at Grand Turk? I'm especially interested in the sight where you can swim through tunnels. Saw that on Youtube; the video was called "Scuba Diving "The Tunnels" - Grand Turk." Sure looked like fun. Anyway, I hope you see this and hope you respond. Thanks.

THE LESS THAN PERFECTs – VERY FEW… No major complaints but, IMHO, Carnival could do just a skosh better in a couple of ways on a Caribbean cruise. Put a live, steel drum band aboard. C’mon, it’s a Caribbean cruise! If Carnival wants us 50-60 year olds to spend more money on board it would do well to provide a lounge for dancing to music from the 50s, 60s and 70s at least one or two nights from, say, 8 or 9 pm to 11 or midnight. At least, that’s my opinion/wish. Load the tenders at HMC from the lower deck, up. Or, at least serve some ice cold water to those on the top deck while waiting for the tender to load. That’s it, folks. The imperfections were so minor as to have almost no impact on an otherwise great cruise. Carnival deserves a nice A- for that cruise. And someone upstairs gets an A for providing good weather and calm seas.

I totally agree with you about the live music on the lido deck. I love listening to the Reggae music when I am sailing the Caribbean and remember when Carnival used to have that. Now it's a guy with an acoustic guitar playing a variety of radio friendly tunes. We had a great time on our Glory cruise and were blown away by the beauty of HMC.

OMG, what is that dessert? We've had the new menu, but I don't remember that one. Only 111 days until we are on the Glory for 14 glorious days.

ry%3D400

I don't recall seeing that dessert in the MDR either...really don't want to miss it if it is only available one night!

Anyone know what this chocolate dessert is called, and when it is available?

Hi, jst. Yes, there was a Latin band on board. I forget their name, but they were quite good, at least in my opinion. They performed in the Ivory Club Lounge on Deck 4. You can access that lounge either from Deck 4 or, if you are on Deck 5, there are stairs leading down to that lounge from about where the Creams Café is located.

Here is a photo of the band....

ry%3D400

As for Seagull7 flaming me for reserving 3 clamshells for my group.... I agree that it is a bit selfish on my part, on behalf of my group. But, most were on their 1st cruise and I just wanted to make it as nice for them as I had the power to do.

I don't see that as being the same as reserving loungers on the ship with a towel. I don't do that. Those loungers on the ship are free to absolutely anyone on board. The clamshells must be paid for, and to my understanding, can only be rented once on the beach. I don't feel morally obligated to refrain from renting three clamshells (to be shared by 11 people) -- when there are MANY of them on the beach -- on the chance that someone with children will be deprived or that a person with a disability will be deprived of a clamshell.

Given your logic it was rude of me to rent even one clamshell when I am perfectly healthy and gooped up with SPF 70 sunscreen. That one clamshell could have gone to a child or a disabled person, too. There are areas with shade provided by trees. And, there are other choices that people with children or with disabilities have as well. I believe that they all have the opportunity to reach a status with Carnival that entitles them to early debarkation at ports or to buy FTTF (as it becomes available) to assure early debarkation privileges at ports. Or, they can line up early to be the first to get off among cruisers who don't otherwise qualify for early debarkation at ports.

I hope that other viewers/posters don't turn this review -- meant not only to share my vacation fun with others but to help them with info, too -- into a morality discussion. They can start their own thread for that if they want to do that.

Having said that, I am glad to see posters who are concerned for their follow cruisers. It would, indeed, be a nice world if we would all show such concern and consideration for others in all instances...with maybe just a little slack given to those of us who are on a much needed Caribbean cruise vacation. Until such concern and kindness is a universal given, however, I will forgive myself for being just a wee bit self-indulgent during vacation.

This is a great review! I love your response above-very well said! have been to HMC a few times and we have rented the clam shells. I say rent because we did pay for them. The girl immediately put a reserved sign on it as well. They also seem to be very quick to approach people who think the clamshells are free. The clamshell business is not run by Carnival. We have also rented the cabanas.They are great for a group, too!

ry%3D400

I don't recall seeing that dessert in the MDR either...really don't want to miss it if it is only available one night!

Anyone know what this chocolate dessert is called, and when it is available?

It's the chocolate hazelnut dessert. I had it last week on the Glory... SO delicious!

Thank you for your review. We leave this Saturday on the exact same cruise (I am suppose to be packing....UGH!). One quick question - Do you remember how many ships were in port with you? I saw that you mentioned that Margaritaville was crowded and I was just wondering if there was another ship in port that day.

Thanks!

Thank you for your review. We leave this Saturday on the exact same cruise (I am suppose to be packing....UGH!). One quick question - Do you remember how many ships were in port with you? I saw that you mentioned that Margaritaville was crowded and I was just wondering if there was another ship in port that day.

Thanks!

Hi, Bride2Be. When we arrived at Grand Turk the Carnival Splendor was already there, having already docked at 9 am, while our arrival was 11 a.m. Those were the only two ships there that day as far as I could tell.

I just looked on a website that shows what ships are scheduled to be in a particular port on a given day and I think you are in luck. It appears that the Glory will be the only ship in Grand Turk that day (if you arrive there on the 30th). You should have the run of the island.

The website I just used to find that info is (here is the link) (there are other sites, too; if you search the threads you should, eventually, be able to find them):

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/#destports

Look for "Turks and Caicos Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos" and click on that and then select the day your ship arrives.

Enjoy your cruise. Wear lotsa sunscreen.

Thank you Scubadoobie2!

Yes we are the only ones in port that day so I am hoping it will be less crowded. St. Thomas is the only port that we will have any other ships with us other than embarkation/debarkation.

Looking forward to the cruise. Still dreading the packing (we are staying three extra days at the end of the cruise in Ft Lauderdale and then heading to Disney for 4 days).

Thank you again.

• 1 month later...