Jade & Greek Islands excursions-can we do our own trips?

smallworld73

just booked for August on our 2nd Jade cruise, but having been on Western Med route twice where we booked our own trips, how easy is it to get around the Greek Islands from the ports? Any suggestions for trips we can do ourselves-we're not really into lying on beaches but are happy to explore. We don't know where to go on Mykonos or Santorini, but are keen to go to Olympia. I think we can get to Corfu Town fairly easily although I can't remember if you can walk from the port. Family of 4, dds 20 & 15. Any help gratefully received!

All of those ports can be done on your own. Depending on what you would like to see you can easily walk or use public transportation, except for Olympia. For Olympia you could rent a car; most economical seeing as their are four of you or you could utilize Katakolon Express which is a bus service that will take you right there.

Is there anything specific you would like to see in the other ports? Depending on what you would like to see they are all walkable.

Rochelle

Thanks for the info. I'm happier knowing we can do our own thing, we don't really enjoy the organised excursion trips but realise there are some that need to be booked because of distance-I think we may book Olympia though. :)

just booked for August on our 2nd Jade cruise, but having been on Western Med route twice where we booked our own trips, how easy is it to get around the Greek Islands from the ports? Any suggestions for trips we can do ourselves-we're not really into lying on beaches but are happy to explore. We don't know where to go on Mykonos or Santorini, but are keen to go to Olympia. I think we can get to Corfu Town fairly easily although I can't remember if you can walk from the port. Family of 4, dds 20 & 15. Any help gratefully received!

We're doing the same cruise in October and one of the reasons I picked it is that the ports are all so DIY friendly. We don't like ship's excursions either and these 4 are particularly stress free "easy" ports. We will likely take the 10 euro round trip bus to Olympia (several private operators) in Katakolon or the train (assuming it's running, which might be a big assumption these days). We will probably rent a scooter in Santorini to reach Akrotiri, the beaches and Oia and just wander around town in Mykonos. Haven't made up my mind about what to do in Corfu yet but all the options there are easy too.

Do yourself a favor and get Rick Steves Mediterranean Port Guide. Best travel book we have ever purchased, there are loads of tips and secrets for all the ports you're going to plus many many others.

We did the 12 Day Grand Med. on the Spirit, followed by the 7 Day Greek Ilse on the Jade and that book became invaluable to us.

In Corfu, you can take the local bus from the port into the "old" part of Corfu for 3 Euros for 2. About a 10 min. ride and they are frequent and on time ! Lots to see and many shops for shopping.

Santorini has a "speed boat" that leaves from the dock and it takes you up to Oia where a bus awaits you to take you up the hill ( it's very steep). The last bus leaves for Fira around 5:30 or 5:45, all for 20 Euros pp (prices may have changed since we were there 2 summers ago) and the view is just as spectacular in Fira (esp. while having something to eat while overlooking the Caldera).

Mykonos has a decent beach, don't miss the Windmills and if you have the time, Delos is a must if you want to see some amazing ruins. Depending if you tender or dock at the new port ( bus transfer from dock to Mykonos bus terminal) you can take a short walk along the shore and stop at one of the many restaurants overlooking the shore. Had a great time there and they also have wifi.

Katakolon (Olympia) We took the Katakolon Express tour bus for 10 Euros ea. to the Olympic Site, don't pass on this, it's amazing. Hint, once you get off the bus you have to walk down a hill to get your tickets for the site. Down is ok, but up is a chore so........... there happens to be an older gentleman that has a donkey cart that holds 4 people and for 1 Euro ea. it's worth the trip up. Unfortunately, we didn't notice him till we were half way up :eek:.

These are just some of the things I could remember off the top of my head, I don't have access to Steves book as friends of ours are there (Europe) right now using it.

Enjoy your cruise.

cheers...the Ump...:D

Thanks for all the brilliant advice-I managed to find the page with the destinations/ports after I posted my question :o Feeling a little more relieved to discover we can do our own thing, having looked at the excursions I thought we'd made a mistake with the route but there are some great ideas and tips-thanks so much! Going to look out for the Rick Steves book...

All of those ports can be done on your own. Depending on what you would like to see you can easily walk or use public transportation, except for Olympia. For Olympia you could rent a car; most economical seeing as their are four of you or you could utilize Katakolon Express which is a bus service that will take you right there.

Is there anything specific you would like to see in the other ports? Depending on what you would like to see they are all walkable.

Rochelle

These are all great ports. Have fun and DIY!

Edited by carolmacey