Will my Personal Vacation Planner get mad at me for booking online

usacamaro

My Personal Vacation Planner is a nice guy. He calls every few months and sees if we are interested in booking. If I have a question, I email him and he emails me back right away.

We decided to book a cruise with 3 different families. I did inquire with him about some questions I had. Since there were multiple credit cards...new cruiser names that needed to be added, I found it to be easier to just do it on the website.

Will he not get credit for the booking? I want to upgrade one on the cabins, but I am embarrassed to call him since I booked online.

What are your thoughts?

My Personal Vacation Planner is a nice guy. He calls every few months and sees if we are interested in booking. If I have a question, I email him and he emails me back right away.

We decided to book a cruise with 3 different families. I did inquire with him about some questions I had. Since there were multiple credit cards...new cruiser names that needed to be added, I found it to be easier to just do it on the website.

Will he not get credit for the booking? I want to upgrade one on the cabins, but I am embarrassed to call him since I booked online.

What are your thoughts?

I don't think that he is going to get any credit or commission on your booking since you did it online. He would have no way of knowing that you booked it that way unless you told him. As far as helping out with the booking now for the upgrade, I don't think that he will be able to help. You might be able to cancel the booking and rebook thru him, but don't know about any cancellation fees. He could have handled all of the families and all of the credit cards. That is his job. You might call him and explain and see if he can help you out.

What are your thoughts?

You could call him and transfer booking to him so he gets the credit and all would be well.

I have booked on my own and my PVP has helped with upgrades when there was a cost to me. You have a right to book any way you like. I'm sure you wont be his first or last to book on your own then ask for assistance. He either will or he wont, and if he won't; call Carnival (it will prompt you for help with a cruise already booked) and they can help you.

What are your thoughts?

It's your choice of how you want to book, don't even worry.

Our PVP kept calling my husband even after him telling her that I handle all the cruise booking. We had already booked our annual cruise when she started calling him. So I figured id call her for price drops since we had already booked. she magically couldn't ever find our bookings. I just submitted online after that. When it came time to book our next cruise, I called her and had to leave a message. She never called me back. We just called the 800 number to book since she didn't call us back. Havent heard from her since. oh well. no loss to me.

Yeah, you have the right to book any way you want, but I think it is selfish to the bother your PVP with all the garbage after you have basically cheated them out of the credit for the booking. Taking up their valuable time when you could not be bothered to let them do the booking.

A PVP works on salary with a quota of bookings. To keep your job, you meet your quota. No excuses.

So you have not met your quota this month. Well a lot of my clients booked on their own but then kept me tied up on the phone trying to take care of problems they were having. Do you think management says oh well, try to do better next month or do you think they say, have your desk cleared out by 5?

I do not know anyone that works for carnival, but I do know several people that worked those types of jobs. My friend worked for ATT for 30 years when she was put in that type of job. She was on probation for 3 months, she was let go on month 5 for failing to make quota 2 months in a row. There is nothing that would make me take that type of job.

I am willing to bet the same people that book themselves but then go to the PVP are the same people that run all over themselves trying to make work easy on your room steward and tipping them way over the top. I can't figure out why people are so generous to foreign workers but don't give a crap for fellow Americans who are just trying to take care of THEIR families.

I always use a PVP to book, figure some of my money that gets paid to Carnival should keep someone employed. When you book online, you eventually cut out another 'real' person who needs a job. It's like shopping local vs the big box stores, where do you want your money to go?

I always use a PVP to book, figure some of my money that gets paid to Carnival should keep someone employed. When you book online, you eventually cut out another 'real' person who needs a job. It's like shopping local vs the big box stores, where do you want your money to go?

Exactly.

If they don't make their quota they disappear.

Over time I have had two good PVPs disappear.

There are really good PVPs who will help you.

Mine calls about once a year.

It is only fair for a PVP to get the credit if they are going to do the work.

We have booked group cruises with our PVP.

It was not hard.

All it takes is a phone call.

The only way your PVP will get credit if you do anything online is if you put a room on hold and they physically accept the deposit/payment if the full one needs to be made at time of booking. I know because I asked mine once when there was a certain cabin I wanted and was on the lookout everyday on the website. I wanted to make sure that if I held it that he would still get to claim the reservation.

Otherwise, don't bother them and just call the 800 number. It is the PVP's job to service bookings they get credit for, not the ones for people who didn't think they were worth anything at the beginning but now want them to handle their issues.

It is true that you are free to book however you want. Just make sure you are prepared to deal with the consequences that go with your choice whether it be with/without a TA, PVP, or on your own.

Edited by firemanbobswife

The answer to your question is Yes. My PvP reprimanded me when I booked without her. She is no longer my pvp.

She was effectively not your PVP when you booked without her, so there was nothing really for her to lose.

I was about to say....getting upset with you for exercising your free will is a good way to lose a client and get a lot of bad publicity.

Of course it is your choice, but if you book without them, they have lost you anyway. For them to express their disappointment is totally natural.

I can confirm FiremanBob wife's experience! I put a 24 hour hold on my reservation then contact my PVP. Even though my husband and I are causal cruise travelers, she treats us like gold. I might think I m a Carnival expert but

I will continue to rely on her expertise.

If no payment is posted for the reservation, the PVP can claim it.

We have a fantastic PVP and booked a cruise to Hawaii. Found a TA and decided to work with her because her office is so close to us. She called Carnival to find out if our PVP would lose his commission or if it would affect any credits given to him. We were reassured that his salary would not affected in anyway. He receives no commission, etc... I switched over and then felt guilt later. Called and talked with a different Rep and was told the exact same thing. So I'm good with my decision. However, you should check with Carnival yourself if concerned for your PVP.

Edited by kdinkus1

We always do our own research and even select our own cabin and then I call our PVP and let her do the booking so she gets the credit. Sometimes she has saved us a little bit more money and she also see's more cabin availability then the web site shows. She has been our PVP for 15 years. We really do not need a PVP, but hey everyone has to make a living:):):):)

I've booked with a PVP, booked a cruise while on a cruise at the Future Cruise desk and I've just called the 800 number for Carnival. I have found in almost every booking that I know more than the person from Carnival, usually in the rate that is available.

I try to do my homework before I call or book so I get the best deal/cabin/location on the ship available.

I agree that I wouldn't call my PVP if I didn't book the cruise through her. Good PVP's are busy helping their clients and when you book online you are not his/her client.

If you want to make changes and can't do them online, just call the 800 number and let someone help you. To me, if I were going to book online, even for the reasons you have given, I would have called my PVP.

I know it's your cruise and your booking so you can choose how you book, but it's also the paycheck of a PVP who has been good for you or you wouldn't have been using her. JMO.

You could call him and transfer booking to him so he gets the credit and all would be well.

Unfortunately not true. Unless your PVP takes the payment, he doesn't get credit for the booking. No transfers are allowed. That only works when transferring to a TA.

Yes, it's true that it's the passenger's prerogative to book their cruise any way they please, whether online, using a PVP or a TA, but what I find really crummy is when someone has been talking to a PVP for a while, they've been answering the passenger's questions, helping them out, but then when it's time to book, they decide to book some other way. And then on top of that, these passengers have the nerve to call the PVP afterwards when they have extra questions or need their bookings services. Nobody likes to work for free, and PVP's are no exception.

Edited by Tapi