Broke my Ankle and leave four weeks from today!

jfried8

So sorry to hear this! Hope the surgery goes well and you heal fast. I would talk to Carnival about holding the cruise cash for a future cruise if they won't refund it. I can't believe they wouldn't give you back your own money!

So I spoke to my surgeon again and was able to move my surgery up to Friday. I'll be pain free a week later and by August 9th I should be okay to sail, without any weight baring on my right foot! I'm doing this! I'm going to beat this! If I have to be in a wheelchair or scooter the whole week it's better than being at home on a couch, right? Vista Suite view is better than my television!

So I spoke to my surgeon again and was able to move my surgery up to Friday. I'll be pain free a week later and by August 9th I should be okay to sail, without any weight baring on my right foot! I'm doing this! I'm going to beat this! If I have to be in a wheelchair or scooter the whole week it's better than being at home on a couch, right? Vista Suite view is better than my television!

You have a good attitude. Yes this is going to make your cruise a little difficult, but like you said better view from the ship than from your couch.

Good luck and have a great cruise. Keep us updated as to your recovery.

Woohoo!!! :D

That's the attitude I was talking about. Enjoy your cruise.

We are currently in a vista suite...are we really better off downgrading to a handicapped room? Not sure what the big differences are...

I work in a rehab unit at a hospital with people with walkers, wheelchairs, etc..

I have a lot of experience with people post operation and trying to maneuver bathrooms with assistive devices. I can not imagine using a standard bathroom on carnival with a walker or a wheelchair.

The difference for you is that you would not be wheelchair bound. You will likely be able to walk, or at least hobble. You will probably at that point be weight bearing as tolerated and only you can answer the question as to how you tolerate it. Personally, if it were me, I would get a little plastic fold up step stool that I could rest my foot on outside of the shower for balance and to rest your foot. I wouldn't want to give up my vista cabin. I understand where you are coming from. You just have to get creative to make it work.

Throw this in your luggage (it folds up) and set it outside of the shower so your foot doesn't get wet. The bathroom is small enough that even if you need a little scooter or something you can make it from the bathroom opening to the shower without it. Just my opinion.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kikkerland-reg-easy-fold-step-stools/3241862?Keyword=step+stool

I work in a rehab unit at a hospital with people with walkers, wheelchairs, etc..

I have a lot of experience with people post operation and trying to maneuver bathrooms with assistive devices. I can not imagine using a standard bathroom on carnival with a walker or a wheelchair.

The difference for you is that you would not be wheelchair bound. You will likely be able to walk, or at least hobble. You will probably at that point be weight bearing as tolerated and only you can answer the question as to how you tolerate it. Personally, if it were me, I would get a little plastic fold up step stool that I could rest my foot on outside of the shower for balance and to rest your foot. I wouldn't want to give up my vista cabin. I understand where you are coming from. You just have to get creative to make it work.

Throw this in your luggage (it folds up) and set it outside of the shower so your foot doesn't get wet. The bathroom is small enough that even if you need a little scooter or something you can make it from the bathroom opening to the shower without it. Just my opinion.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kikkerland-reg-easy-fold-step-stools/3241862?Keyword=step+stool

You think 3 weeks after ankle surgery I'll be weight bearing already? That would be awesome! What's the typical recovery look like? It's just one bone with a plate, most likely no screws involved.

I fractured my ankle today and we leave on the Pride 4 weeks from today. I'm so upset and meet with the surgeon tomorrow. How is Carnival with wheelchairs and scooters?

Our daughter broke her ankle days before we left. She was delayed for surgery so her surgeon put her in an airboot cast. She could not bear ANY weight and had crutches.

Arrival at port and they took her to the side to sit and then put us on the platinum side to embark (we were only at nine cruises). We rented a wide wheelchair (they come in two sizes) once on board and half way through the week were able to get a regular sized one. We took the wheelchair all over in port and even the taxi drivers were great about tucking it in the trunk or putting it on the roof. Tenders were tricky when the seas were rough. Ship staff and the kids in the teen club were all awesome. By the time the cruise was over everyone knew Ally (we also had fabulous roll call folks).

We were lucky to be able to go and enjoy our vacation. She had surgery the day after we got back, and then another a year later to take all the screws out.

Wishing you well, take care.

You think 3 weeks after ankle surgery I'll be weight bearing already? That would be awesome! What's the typical recovery look like? It's just one bone with a plate, most likely no screws involved.

It's likely you could be wt. bearing at 3 weeks, I was, and that was after surgery with plate and screws. Yes, it may be one bone, as mine was, but they have to secure the plate with screws, unless your surgeon has a new method! You should also be able to use the infamous black boot, but the good thing is it is removable so you don't have to worry so much about getting your leg wet.

Also, if you do consider getting the stool from Bed, Bath & Beyond, remember to use a 20% off coupon. Best of luck to you and have a great cruise!!!

Aww thanks so much. I'm really nervous about the surgery. Should I be? He said it's super simple and easy compared to others they've done. I'm still really uneasy.

It's natural to be concerned, but everything will be OK. The surgery can probably be done in the outpatient surgery area of the hospital. In and out in a matter of hours. Then just go home, rest, take the painkillers and take care of yourself. I didn't even need physical therapy, so hoping you won't either.

It's natural to be concerned, but everything will be OK. The surgery can probably be done in the outpatient surgery area of the hospital. In and out in a matter of hours. Then just go home, rest, take the painkillers and take care of yourself. I didn't even need physical therapy, so hoping you won't either.

You're really giving me reasons to stay positive. I can't thank you enough. And yes it's outpatient but they may keep me overnight if necessary.

If I'm correct you will have a bathtub----not a small stall shower. The stool is still a good idea though.

My wife (you saw her picture on her knee scooter") had 5 screws inserted into her plate----she was feeling fine right after "coming out of it". We'll probably see you onboard!

Edited by chocolate melting cake

If I'm correct you will have a bathtub----not a small stall shower. The stool is still a good idea though.

My wife (you saw her picture on her knee scooter" had 5 screws inserted into her plate----she was feeling fine right after "coming out of it". We'll probably see you onboard!

This was for ankle surgery as well? So you're also pretty confident I'll be okay for the cruise? I'll have a knee scooter that I push myself as well as renting a wheelchair that will be waiting for me on board.

One of my most 'eye opening' & favorite cruises was after I tore my MCL in San Juan the day before our cruise (on Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas) & was told by the ship doctor to put no weight on my leg so I was confined to a wheelchair on-board & crutches in port. Everyone on-board (staff & passengers) was so nice & helpful! I am a 'type A' personality but the experience I had made me extremely grateful for my normally good health. Hope you enjoy your cruise to the fullest!

Awesome. Ask your doc or therapist about a knee scooter. So much easier to get around. Also ask about what kind of cast you will be in by cruise date. There are some that can get wet.

Another thing you might want to think about is changing to a handicap stateroom. Mom just sailed in one and it was really nice to not have a step up into the bathroom and the seat in the shower was great. I don't get why people want to book them if they don't need them cause you lose some cabin space to gain the larger bathroom but I really worked well for mom.

Maybe it's the location they desire and not the fact that it's an HC cabin.

OP... Have fun on your cruise. My DIL brought me a knee scooter when I broke my foot. It was so cool to roll around really fast. HOWEVER.... I got carried away at the spy museum. We were in a contest with another group of people to collect the most clues to solve a crime. I'm flying around a sharp declined turn and lost control. I landed on top of the scooter, breaking my rib. :eek: please make sure you have the little tightener doohickey at all times. Check your screws often, especially when you have been riding it on uneven ground. It will be good having it in the ship, because you will be able to roll where you need to go. Be careful, ok? I am so glad that you will be able to go.

Edited by INCHARGE

Good news! Got a second opinion and no surgery! They will be casting it Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be good to go for the cruise with still no weight bearing.

That is great news. Just be careful and have a great time. ;)

Good news! Got a second opinion and no surgery! They will be casting it Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be good to go for the cruise with still no weight bearing.

That's fantastic news!!!! I've seen plenty of people zipping around on those scooters. You'll do fine. If there's a will there's a way. And good for you for getting second opinion, I personally think you always should, especially when talk of surgery is involved.