Watching the ships leave in Ft. Lauderdale

CruisingLover

Is there anyplace we would be able to bring a picnic and a bottle of wine? Or a restaurant/bar with a good view? We will be watching departures on Monday Feb 15 so it sounds like the Jetty would be out if they herd everyone out at dusk.

Is there anyplace we would be able to bring a picnic and a bottle of wine? Or a restaurant/bar with a good view?

• 1 month later...
I like the north end of the inlet. I think this might be what you were referring to?

5358783276_53c04da045_b_zps4766fca7.jpg

This is where we want to go as well, but what street or streets from A1A do you take to get to the free parking lot and pathway to the beach as shown? We are now at the end of January and sunset is c. 6 pm so that should give us sufficient daylight.

This is where we want to go as well, but what street or streets from A1A do you take to get to the free parking lot and pathway to the beach as shown? We are now at the end of January and sunset is c. 6 pm so that should give us sufficient daylight.

Many times the ships don't go out until after that time.

It will be well after dark by the time they leave. I don't think it is very wise to be hanging out on the beach after dark.

Many times the ships don't go out until after that time.

It will be well after dark by the time they leave. I don't think it is very wise to be hanging out on the beach after dark.

Why? Does that area have a crime problem?

Sunset is after 6 pm now in Ft Lauderdale, and obviously moving later for the next 5 months. Most ships sail from 430-530. I wouldn't be concerned at all going out to the inlet to watch ships leave. There were many out there when we left a week ago Saturday.