Flying with extra batteries...

We will be flying to Boston in September and cruising on Brilliance for a New England/Canada cruise. I have a small scooter but the batteries are heavy...they are the 12 volt kind that come in a case and last for 9 miles or so..:p I have heard lithium batteries are a lot lighter but don't know where to start looking for them. How do I take the extra batteries onto the airplane? Will they just load them on with the scooter?

Thanks in advance for your help...this is all new to me!!! :confused:

Lynda

First of all, I am not familiar with lithium. I have read that they are much more durable and that they have to be carried on the plane with you. They cannot go in the hold with the scooter.

I travel with a spare set of batteries, however I purchased an extra battery box so that I can just switch when necessary.

On my previous scooter, there was adequate space for the second battery box on the floorboard and I just secured it with a bicycle chain to the tiller and seat post for flights. On my current scooter, there was not sufficient space on the floorboard. My son made a rack that fits over the battery. The rack is secured to the seat post and to change batteries, I just lift it and swing it around. Since the spare battery pack just sits on the rack, I also secure it to the seat post when flying.

In an effort to get more mileage out of my batteries, I switched from the conventional two 12 volt 12Ah to two 12 volt 15Ah. Since I did that, I very seldom have to switch batteries while out and about.

If you have checked your mileage, it should be close. If you are going by the manufacturer's specifications, do not count on it. The rider's weight and the terrain have a big impact on the distance.

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

bigbiker.gif

Without knowing your scooter model, or the battery "number" to get its dimensions, I can't recommend a specific battery. However, there are batteries advertised to fit scooters that are 12v and 32ah, which should last you all day in port.

While most scooter batteries are gel cells, if you are going to fly a lot with the scooter, I would recommend looking at a "glass mat absorbed" battery, which will not leak even if you cut it in half with an axe. These were originally designed for space missions, so they operate very well at low temperatures, can give full power on deep discharges, and have high outputs.