Cruising after weight loss surgery

Anyone out there cruise after WLS? DH will be getting a sleeve in late September or early October. We were actually supposed to be on the Adventure at that time, but this is way more important so we moved to Liberty on February 14. So, he will be 4 months out. Not at all worried about the physical aspect, but looking at best options for eating.

His diet will be protein and veggies. And obviously very small quantity. Breakfast and lunch options are easy, but not sure if MDR or Windjammer for dinners will be a better option. In MDR, he would probably only order an entree and eat 1/4 of the protein. I am sure the waiters will be offended but that is honestly not my concern.

Just curious how it may change the cruising experience for us. We are not big drinkers so that is not an issue. Going to be strange, but so looking forward to things like zip lining that we have not done before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone out there cruise after WLS? DH will be getting a sleeve in late September or early October. We were actually supposed to be on the Adventure at that time, but this is way more important so we moved to Liberty on February 14. So, he will be 4 months out. Not at all worried about the physical aspect, but looking at best options for eating.

His diet will be protein and veggies. And obviously very small quantity. Breakfast and lunch options are easy, but not sure if MDR or Windjammer for dinners will be a better option. In MDR, he would probably only order an entree and eat 1/4 of the protein. I am sure the waiters will be offended but that is honestly not my concern.

Just curious how it may change the cruising experience for us. We are not big drinkers so that is not an issue. Going to be strange, but so looking forward to things like zip lining that we have not done before.

My suggestion to you is to see your Head Waiter the first evening. Explain your husbands dietary needs and the importance of what he needs to have. He will most likely show you the menu for the next night and your husband can chose at that time what he would like and how much.

Our experience has been that they are very conscious of special dietary needs and will do everything they can to accommodate you. They will in no way be offended.

Edited by cruisenfever

I traveled post surgery 6 months after procedure. Didn't have a problem at all. there are many choices on the menu that you can select to suit your needs. I didn't have much of an appetite, so my only problem (if you can call it that) was the waiter constantly asking me if something was wrong with the food and could he bring me something else.

Some evenings I would save some room for a bite of whatever sugar free dessert they had. :D

I still do the same thing 7 years later.

Have a great cruise!!!:)

Possibly ordering an appetizer & salad instead of entree at dinner. Plan on larger (relatively speaking) meals at lunch & even breakfast. Best of luck to your husband

His doctor is the one that will tell him what he can and cannot eat. The waiters concerns...not your problem or issue! Eat in the dining room...tell them to mind their own business, if you feel they're harassing you!

I wouldn't let any waitstaff bully me on land, or on sea!

And yes...it's going to be different, if food is a big part of your life (which, apparently, it is)

Perhaps waiting until you've got a handle on this might be a better option...until other things become more important than the meals!

Edited by cb at sea

We travelled with someone who had same issues last year. As others have said, just discuss DH requirements with the staff and they will be more than accommodating. Can't promise they still won't tempt him with offers but that's what they do so well [emoji14] the hardest thing will need to be you ur husbands resolve not to over indulge [emoji3]

Went on b2b for 2 weeks on freedom 3 months after sleeve surgery. The only hard thing for me was trying to not pile my plate with too much food. Your husband will love it. Wls patients like to graze throughout the day. Many things to eat and just nibble all day long. The only thing i had problems with was convincing the wait staff that nothing was wrong with my food. They would ask me if everything was alright. They would also ask me if i wanted something else because they thought i did not like the main course.

Dont worry to much about your husband he will have a great time. Also real easy to get your 1hr walking in on a ship. Have fun with all the new activities your husband can do with you.