Getting Around Juneau

BrnBrok

My wife and I arrive In Juneau July 29, 2015 on the Grand Princess. Not sure where we dock. My wife will have a scooter rental on board, but did not plan to use it in town. Is there transportation available from where the ship docks. Given that my wife has some mobility issues I am interested in finding out if Princess provide a shuttle. Also what the cost for transport might be.

Plan for Day In Juneau

In the morning we have a ship excursion Whale Watching And Wildlife tour. I assume that the excursion will offer pick up at our pier. Perhaps on the way back from the tour we could get a drop off at our planned luncheon spot.

I was looking forward to also having lunch at Tracy's King Crab. And maybe doing some light shopping at nearby stores. If a shuttle is offered by Princess that would be great. if not any other ideas for getting around.

How far might the dock be to our planned luncheon/shopping location? If not too far we could try to walk with lots of rest stops, but I don't want to push this if it will be too difficult.

You first need to find out what dock you are at. I've seen Princess, many times at the International dock, which is a distance from the shopping, downtown area. There is no shuttle bus from this dock. There is a marina walkway, that does have some benches.

Your whale watch will pick up at your dock, they will not drop you off downtown at a fixed location. It is a congested downtown area, with mandated limited approved stop areas.

If I am reading you correctly- you are eating at Tracy's? This is walkable from the stop.

Overall, cruise ship travel and Alaska, will involve a LOT of walking, if you are getting off the ship. Including access to the boat tour. You may want to book according to the tide tables, since, if you happen to hit low tide on your return, it's going to be an up hill climb. Worse area will be dock 4 in Ketchikan. One time- I had to leave my husband on the ship due to the low tide.

Any suggestions beyond calling Princess to find out what dock a ship will be at in Juneau?

Check the schedule!

On July 29, the Grand Princess is at the ADJ dock, the one furthest from town. There are shuttles, but there is a fee for them with Princess. I've never taken it, so I am not sure on price. If your wife has mobility issues, this dock will be too far to walk.

In mid June there was plenty of shopping/eating by where princess docks but was last one. Was quite far from Tracy's I think. I did see busses and taxis. Celebrity had wheelchairs at the pier at each port maybe you can push one. It won't be too long for you.

In mid June there was plenty of shopping/eating by where princess docks but was last one. Was quite far from Tracy's I think. I did see busses and taxis. Celebrity had wheelchairs at the pier at each port maybe you can push one. It won't be too long for you.

The ADJ dock, where the OP will be, is in an industrial area with no shops or dining.

Thanks to all for your response to my request for getting from where the Grand Princess Docks on Wed July 29, 2015. I too had found the schedule for ships in Juneau and the reference to the AJ Dock. The responses that showed me a photo of where each Dock is located made it very clear to me just how that dock is from where we are trying to get to (Tracy's King Crab Shack)

Before reading the group of responses I did call Princess and they confused me a bit as they said the Grand would be at the Franklin or City Dock. Also when I asked about a shuttle in terms of where it goes from the AJ dock they said there was no shuttle let alone telling me if the shuttle ran to Tracy's. And of course since they said there was no shuttle they did not give me a cost.

But again I think that I do have a plan from what your helpful responses highlight. I will check on the Grand about the particulars of the shuttle in Juneau. I will also look at being dropped off there as we end our Whale Watching and Wildlife Tour at around 11:45 am. If possible that will save us any issues at least one way. i also have phone number for Yellow Cab should we decide to go that route.

Thanks again for taking the time to make this port a better experience for both my wife and myself.

Thanks to all for your response to my request for getting from where the Grand Princess Docks on Wed July 29, 2015. I too had found the schedule for ships in Juneau and the reference to the AJ Dock. The responses that showed me a photo of where each Dock is located made it very clear to me just how that dock is from where we are trying to get to (Tracy's King Crab Shack)

Before reading the group of responses I did call Princess and they confused me a bit as they said the Grand would be at the Franklin or City Dock. Also when I asked about a shuttle in terms of where it goes from the AJ dock they said there was no shuttle let alone telling me if the shuttle ran to Tracy's. And of course since they said there was no shuttle they did not give me a cost.

But again I think that I do have a plan from what your helpful responses highlight. I will check on the Grand about the particulars of the shuttle in Juneau. I will also look at being dropped off there as we end our Whale Watching and Wildlife Tour at around 11:45 am. If possible that will save us any issues at least one way. i also have phone number for Yellow Cab should we decide to go that route.

Thanks again for taking the time to make this port a better experience for both my wife and myself.

IF you are at the AJ dock- then there WILL be a shuttle bus, it is over a mile to downtown. ALL the shuttle buses, run to the tram parking lot- which is in front of the international dock. This is a loop shuttle that does NOT make any other stops.

As for tour buses, you will be given - maybe, an option to be dropped off at your ship, at the tram lot or by the Steam dock.

IF Princess is at the South Franklin dock, it is the farthest to walk. there is the Marina walkway, which has some benches.

Tracy's is in front of the International dock, near the tram parking lot. There isn't a shuttle specifically for them. From the tram parking lot - simple to spot the tram, you just walk toward downtown, will pass right by, on the marina side.

Thanks Budget Queen. I am hoping that it turns out to be AJ dock. Then per your information there will be a shuttle doing a loop. With a stop at the tram we will be a lot closer to our goal of trying Tracy's King Crab place. Also with a drop off at the tram after our morning excursion that too will be close to Tracy's. I understand that a drop-off is not guaranteed, but I again will hope that does happen.

Again thanks for your help and that of all the responders to my original question.

Thanks Budget Queen. I am hoping that it turns out to be AJ dock. Then per your information there will be a shuttle doing a loop. With a stop at the tram we will be a lot closer to our goal of trying Tracy's King Crab place. Also with a drop off at the tram after our morning excursion that too will be close to Tracy's. I understand that a drop-off is not guaranteed, but I again will hope that does happen.

Again thanks for your help and that of all the responders to my original question.

Did you book your tour independently? Just about all of those, do use the tram parking lot. A lot of Cruise Ship booked, tours, usually will drop you off at the ship. but ask the shore excursion desk.

For further clairfication- if you are at the AJ dock- you are going to be coming up a dock, it can be steep at low tide. At the top, the downtown shuttle buses will load to the left.

The shuttle buses will load/unload at the tram parking lot, in front of the Taku Smokery. Tracy's is past the tram on the left.

Thanks again for your update Budget Queen! Our Princess excursion (Whale Watching and Wildlife) leaves in the morning at 7:45 and returns to the ship at 11:45. Our plan was then to have lunch at Tracy's, look at a few stores nearby and then return to Grand Princess.