Lottie A. I could use your advice.

richchap

I just knew that I'd be coming back to you Lottie. Our situation is such that our plans now schedule us with two nights in Carcassonne with train as transport to and from Barcelona. This would ideally have us arrive Barcelona train station around 6:00 pm. We have a flight out of BCN for MAN at 10:20 am the following morning. It seemed logical to find a hotel at the airport so I reserved a room at the Barcelona Airport Hotel. Lottie, will I have time for a good dinner in the city? Taxis or trains? Any special suggestion for dinner under these circumstances?

As always, I'm most appreciative of your experience and responses.

Hi Richard,

Just back from another great Roman Holiday.

There are two options for travelling into the city from Barcelona airport. The frequent Aerobus ...see timetable here. Also a good site for info on Barcelona in general.

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/airport/transport/barcelona-airport-buses.html

Or a taxi...should cost about €30 each way. Remember that Catalunyan people eat very late ...especially compared to Americans. They don't even start thinking of dinner until about 10 pm.

Personally I would get a taxi to the Ramblas Catalunya area....where it joins with Gran Via and just walk up the street as there are lots of great restaurants here. A particular favourite of ours is Catchitos ...great Paella and jugs of Sangria in a really unusual setting. If you do eat outdoors here then do make sure you explore the restaurant indoors...it's unique.

Google catchitosrambla 33 for the menu and pics.

There is also a great Italian with "designer Pizza's" just before you get to Catchitos but I have forgotten the name. We were there a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. This is a great street for wandering and having a drink or two in the many bars and restaurants, but don't confuse it with the tourist trap of La Ramblas. Not the same at all. Ramblas Catalunya is safe at night but still beware of pickpockets as you would in any big city. There will be lots of locals eating and drinking there and it's a great atmosphere. But as I said, Barcelona is a late night city. The shops are still open at 11 pm!

You should be easily able to pick up a taxi back to the airport from here.

Have a great time!

We are thinking of booking Journey for Oct 31st but still have some other travel plans to sort out yet. I'm off for a week in Vegas and a Silversea cruise soon.

Lottie, si sono magnifici!

Your suggestions are appreciated and will be followed closely. Going back into the city as you recommend via taxi and eating at a later hour will totally satisfy us until our next visit. The route that you outlined sounds just wonderful. I'm hungry already.

Your trip to Las Vegas and a cruise on Silversea sounds like an over the top set of getaways. Wish that we were joining you in your decadence. Sounds great. Where are you going on your cruise? When to Vegas? It's hot out there as you know. Here in Dallas we're baking in 100+ days. We just escaped for 5 days to Vancouver. Beautiful city and cooler. Took a side trip over to Victoria and thought I was in England when we went to the Empress Hotel at tea time.

Glad to hear that you had another great weekend in Rome. Sounds like you found an interest in the Eternal City.

I actually have another question for you. We are flying to Manchester and intend staying in Liverpool/Manchester area for three nights before flying home. One afternoon and evening will be spent visiting with a couple we met on an Azamara cruise a few years ago. The rest of our time is free. Any ideas? We will be staying at the Radisson Blu Hotel in Liverpool.

Thank you as always.

Grazie mille Ricardo!

I definitely do have "an interest" in Roma and he's rather gorgeous and a countryman of yours. :)

I know Vegas will be blazing hot ....been there many times, but The Palazzo has great air con and we will be there most of the time. We will be going from The Palazzo to The Wynn, MGM Grand and Bellagio....and of course, The Fashion Show Mall. I LOVE Vegas. :)

As for Liverpool, well the must see place is The Albert Dock with The Beatles Story.

http://www.albertdock.com

You can easily spend the day here. Liverpool and its people are amazing. Funny, warm hearted and so proud of the heritage of Liverpool. I spent two years working there in the 80's. It ranks with Newcastle as my favourite city in the UK, apart from my home city of course.

Lots of cruise history in Liverpool too, particularly relating to The Queen's of Cunard and of course, Titanic and Lusitania. There is presently an exhibition to mark the One Hundred Year Anniversary of the sinking of Lusitania in Albert Dock. Of course The Beatles Story is a must do and there is a Tate Gallery with a Jackson Pollock exhibition on at the moment but it finishes in mid Oct. Loads of things to do at The Albert Dock but maybe others on CC will have different idea's for you to consider. I know there are a fair few Scousers posting here and they will hopefully all have idea's for you.

So sad to hear of the death yesterday of Liverpool's famous "our kid" Cilla Black. A genuine Liverpool Lass and a lovely woman.

Grazie mille Ricardo!

I definitely do have "an interest" in Roma and he's rather gorgeous and a countryman of yours. :)

I know Vegas will be blazing hot ....been there many times, but The Palazzo has great air con and we will be there most of the time. We will be going from The Palazzo to The Wynn, MGM Grand and Bellagio....and of course, The Fashion Show Mall. I LOVE Vegas. :)

As for Liverpool, well the must see place is The Albert Dock with The Beatles Story.

http://www.albertdock.com

You can easily spend the day here. Liverpool and its people are amazing. Funny, warm hearted and so proud of the heritage of Liverpool. I spent two years working there in the 80's. It ranks with Newcastle as my favourite city in the UK, apart from my home city of course.

Lots of cruise history in Liverpool too, particularly relating to The Queen's of Cunard and of course, Titanic and Lusitania. There is presently an exhibition to mark the One Hundred Year Anniversary of the sinking of Lusitania in Albert Dock. Of course The Beatles Story is a must do and there is a Tate Gallery with a Jackson Pollock exhibition on at the moment but it finishes in mid Oct. Loads of things to do at The Albert Dock but maybe others on CC will have different idea's for you to consider. I know there are a fair few Scousers posting here and they will hopefully all have idea's for you.

So sad to hear of the death yesterday of Liverpool's famous "our kid" Cilla Black. A genuine Liverpool Lass and a lovely woman.

Hi Lottie

We would add the museums in Liverpool which are still free to enter and the two Cathedrals which are so different - it is an uphill walk to the Cathedral area but fascinating to go from one to the other. Nearby there is Speke Hall (National Trust) and Port Sunlight - the 'village' built for the Lever workers with the Lady Lever Gallery. Of course Liverpool people are friendly with a special sense of humour (Alan was born there!). regards Diane

Hi Lottie

We would add the museums in Liverpool which are still free to enter and the two Cathedrals which are so different - it is an uphill walk to the Cathedral area but fascinating to go from one to the other. Nearby there is Speke Hall (National Trust) and Port Sunlight - the 'village' built for the Lever workers with the Lady Lever Gallery. Of course Liverpool people are friendly with a special sense of humour (Alan was born there!). regards Diane

Good suggestions Diane. Didn't know Alan was a Liverpudlian. Hope you are both well.

I think Hazel and I may be joining you on Journey in November. Be great to see you both again.....trivia team? :)

Lottie, you exceed my already high expectations of your travel expertise. You really are amazing. We were ecstatic upon learning there's a Tate gallery in Liverpool. We will certainly have enough to do as you have laid out a full agenda for our long weekend.

Britcruiser, I sincerely appreciate your added suggestions and will try to incorporate as many of those ideas as you and Lottie have so kindly served up.

An American huh? Again you show exquisite taste. I am a bit bias of course. Enjoy!

Lottie, you exceed my already high expectations of your travel expertise. You really are amazing. We were ecstatic upon learning there's a Tate gallery in Liverpool. We will certainly have enough to do as you have laid out a full agenda for our long weekend.

Britcruiser, I sincerely appreciate your added suggestions and will try to incorporate as many of those ideas as you and Lottie have so kindly served up.

An American huh? Again you show exquisite taste. I am a bit bias of course. Enjoy!

Rich,

Don't know if you have come across this before. but check the ports link in the link below and see if there are any that you would be interested in.

Great information.

Let me know if they work for you and if they are any help.

http://www.tomsportguides.com/plan.html

Dr.Joe