Help with insurance claim

Martyjac

I cruised using Travel Guard AIG insurance. I did not have a pre-existing dental problem when we sailed. On the ship I got an abscessed tooth. They covered expenses on the ship for a abscess tooth with Amoxcilion and prescription. Although, coming back from Ft. Lauderdale to San Diego the pain increased, and I was going to have the tooth seen by a dentist at Cabo, but the port was cancelled due to technical issues by the Veendam, Holland America. Actually, both our 2 ports were cancelled in Mexico. Therefore I had no other choice to have tooth extracted after the cruise, in which the insurance company won't cover due that the extraction was done after the cruise. Anyone's input will be appreciated.I am thinking of going to Small Claims Court. Has anyone had a similar situation?

Martin

I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope you are feeling better, but honestly, I don't think you're going to get anywhere with a lawsuit. If they denied your claim based on the fact that you had the medical expense after you returned home, then that limitation must be written somewhere in your plan. Do you have a copy?

I used CSA for a 30-day cruise in the South Pacific and got bronchitis. Not only did they pay for my treatment on the ship but all my medicine after returning home. I always book with CSA. However, for my trip to Cuba next year, they do not sell any insurance.

Does anyone know of any company that sells insurance for 8 days in Cuba? :confused:

My policy does say they only cover on board health bills, even if it was pre existing, but after the cruise the benefits end upon debarkation. But, I'm still thinking about going to court because of the missed ports. You never know how a judge feels.

My policy does say they only cover on board health bills, even if it was pre existing, but after the cruise the benefits end upon debarkation. But, I'm still thinking about going to court because of the missed ports. You never know how a judge feels.

Just wondering if it's really worth the legal fees:confused:

The insurance company didn't have anything to do with the missed ports. Your insurance contract does not promise that they will provide access to whatever medical care you need at the time you need it, just that they will reimburse you for it if you obtain the care during the trip.

Doubt if a small claims judge will side with you once he/she reads your policy. Terms are clear as to when coverage starts and stops. And IIRC, policies like this have an arbitration clause or appeal process before you file in small claims. Did your regular dental insurance not cover it?

Missed ports are not part of travel insurance coverage. (With one policy exception, but that's not the one you bought).

Edited by cherylandtk