Breakaway Theater Seats

Everyone appears to reference the 'very uncomfortable' seats in the shows on the breakaway... should we bring seat cushions, towels...???

A cushion is not going to help. The bottom is cushioned but there is a bar right at the base of the seat back that you will feel if you have any semblance of posture. Perhaps a pillow behind your back would keep you from hitting it but then you would be seated forward....

Here's my two cents...

When you initially sit down your but hits the cushion and you think you're about to nicely lean backwards into a similar cushion of comfort, but you abruptly come to a halt as the back has no give due to the awkwardly located support bar on the back of the seat. So you're first thought is, "well that IS uncomfortable. They were right." But then you get yourself situated and settled and forget all about it and enjoy the show. We were in the theater three seperate times and other than the initial awkward discomfort as we got settled, we never gave it any thought nor did it detract from the shows.

Edited by Kenlorz

Glad this was brought up. I was thinking about bringing a small foam pad, the type people use to kneel on while gardening. Need something that will fit in my suitcase. The question is will it make any difference with the seat?

Glad this was brought up. I was thinking about bringing a small foam pad, the type people use to kneel on while gardening. Need something that will fit in my suitcase. The question is will it make any difference with the seat?

Personally, I don't think it would make much difference because it's not the cushion that's the problem, it's the lack of give (or lack of adequate angle) to the back of the seat. It's not hard, it's just awkwardly angled... You expect the seat to settle slightly backward, but you kind of hit a wall as you go to lean back.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from a cruise today. Went to see Rock of Ages in the theater. The first half hour was fine but after that its like a slow torture. It's impossible to get comfortable and you spend most of the time fidgeting around in the seat. The show itself was great but 2 hours in those seats almost ruined it for me.

If you are of "average" height and/or have short legs, the seat pitch (spacing) is just adequate - as long as everyone is seated and nobody on your row need to go out or someone coming in, as the entire row will need to stand up for the person to get to/from the vacant seat(s) ... thus, "all rise" :eek: for a friendly passage.

That is, unless you enjoy knees banging knees or getting physical :D While seated, you are minded that it's like flying Ryan Air, United, Delta or AA's Economy cabin with its 31" seat pitch at 17" wide. There is no optional upgrade to E+ or Y+, unless you sit at the beginning or end of the row, and, can angle your legs into the aisle ... very carefully to not "trip" someone.

Those 6' 0" or taller are hereby "alerted" if you are new to the *Away class ship's "main" theater seating. This is in addition to the problem described above by others already - ROA show is scheduled for 110+ minutes, so 2 hours ... Ladies are generally fine, others - care to speak up ;)

By comparison, RCI and CCL ships have much better seating and on some, space for a cup holder - for those with drinks. A design specification challenge - obstacle - unlikely to be addressed, IMO anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

Edited by mking8288

Everyone appears to reference the 'very uncomfortable' seats in the shows on the breakaway... should we bring seat cushions, towels...???

If they are like the Pearl, it isn't just the seats but the leg room. We were so miserable on the Pearl last time we cruised we didn't go to a show on the Jewel. Of course in all fairness, when on the Pearl I was just getting over knee replacement 3 months before. I don't remember them being that bad the other 2 times we sailed the Pearl. Still all in all they are not the most comfortable in the world.

Some are worse than others. I was there early and switched seats when the first was uncomfortable. Some feel almost broken- like the bar in your back you get sleeping on a bad sofa bed.

Edited by Tura Lura

Or you could do like I did and take advantage of the beverage service offered. :eek: :eek: Or maybe not, because then you wouldn't remember the second half of the show like happened to me. Too much Patron. But then again, I don't remember the seats being uncomfortable either. :D

I'm amazed by the seats on Breakaway and Getaway, I can't imagine how anyone can view them as acceptable. I have been on Breakaway twice and Getaway twice and every time I sit in the theater I am again shocked at how bad they are.

How wide are the seats? Or, more accurately, are the seats wide enough for large (fat) people?

If you are of "average" height and/or have short legs, the seat pitch (spacing) is just adequate - as long as everyone is seated and nobody on your row need to go out or someone coming in, as the entire row will need to stand up for the person to get to/from the vacant seat(s) ... thus, "all rise" :eek: for a friendly passage.

That is, unless you enjoy knees banging knees or getting physical :D While seated, you are minded that it's like flying Ryan Air, United, Delta or AA's Economy cabin with its 31" seat pitch at 17" wide. There is no optional upgrade to E+ or Y+, unless you sit at the beginning or end of the row, and, can angle your legs into the aisle ... very carefully to not "trip" someone.

Those 6' 0" or taller are hereby "alerted" if you are new to the *Away class ship's "main" theater seating. This is in addition to the problem described above by others already - ROA show is scheduled for 110+ minutes, so 2 hours ... Ladies are generally fine, others - care to speak up ;)

By comparison, RCI and CCL ships have much better seating and on some, space for a cup holder - for those with drinks. A design specification challenge - obstacle - unlikely to be addressed, IMO anytime soon. :rolleyes:

Use it - the Ignore list - easy to skip reading & not respond to nonsense, there is a difference on an open forum, on agreeing to disagree.

Sent from my arc 10HD using Tapatalk

I'm amazed by the seats on Breakaway and Getaway, I can't imagine how anyone can view them as acceptable. I have been on Breakaway twice and Getaway twice and every time I sit in the theater I am again shocked at how bad they are.

Oh boy...:mad:

I was hoping the Getaway would have been different, I cruise on the Getaway in December. But first I cruise on Escape at the end of November so I hope they corrected them for that ship.