GC off the beaten path beach bar?

skyebluetravels

We are looking for a beach day and love to find off the beaten path bars. We are a group with a bunch of 20 something's so we would love a great little beach bar. Any ideas? Does GC have any "beach clubs" like they have in Cozumel where you get access to a beach/pool with food and drink included?

There are resorts along 7 Mile Beach that have day passes. You can google or search this thread for posts on 7MB. But they aren't quite like the west side beaches on Coz. Mostly loungers on the sand and perhaps a use of the pool.

To get away from the crowds on 7MB, you'll need to grab a taxi to Rum Point or NorthWest Point. At Rum Point there's the Wreck Bar. It's well known. And there are other places along the beach front. Water is fairly shallow out a long ways. At NW Point there's Macabuca Bar and Grill, it's one of the better beach front Tiki bars on GC. A little south of there is Tiki Beach. But NW is still a ritzy section of GC.

All of these places have reviews on TA or other sites and I think Macabuca and Tiki Beach have websites.

To get to Rum Point, you really need a rental car or an excursion that includes a stop there. It's 45 minutes from town, and about an $80 U.S. taxi ride each way (for 1-3 passengers). Rum Point is also VERY crowded on weekends or holidays, so I'd avoid it at those times.

While a number of people have suggested recently that some of the hotels along 7MB offer day passes, I think that varies greatly with time of year and perhaps who happens to be working the front desk that day. :-) Those hotels are not going to be any less busy than the regular beach clubs like Royal Palms and Tiki Beach, however.

BTW, Tiki Beach often does cruise line excursions, so it can get very busy at times. I've noticed Royal Palms tends to be less busy than Tiki, due IMO to the lack of booked excursions, the $2 entry fee and the adults-only pool (fewer families).

I am unsure whether Macabuca has beach. I've never noticed one, but maybe I've missed it during our meals there. They have good snorkelling and shore diving, though, accessed via ladders off the waterfront deck.

You're not going to find AI places of the kind you're thinking of from other ports, however.

I'd suggest Royal Palms if you just want an easy, close place with good beach and facilities.

Any truly "off the beaten path" places will require a rental car, at least to get to anywhere with a beach, a bar and other facilities that isn't crowded with other cruise visitors.

Edited by bookbabe

Off the beaten path with no pool is Rum Point as other posters have mentioned before me. It is a little far to go, but definitely worth it. They have a fantastic bar and a lovely beach with free loungers and water toys available to rent.

It is not off the beaten path and doesn't have a pool... but Calico Jack's is right on Seven Mile Beach next to the public beach ( Seagrapes). It has a great open air bar right on the beach with adjoining picnic tables under shade and free showers. It is a very popular place for the international med students crowd studying on GCM and hospitality expats living on the island to go hang out at. They also throw a fabulous " Full Moon" party each time the moon is full lol that is not to be missed if staying on the island!

LOL Cap't BJ, I was waiting for that.

It would be my suggestion as well. Easy walk, GREAT bar, snorkeling if you want it, pool if you are kind to them....but no beach. Definitely a great place for a group of 20 to hang out.

just what I need

20 more people getting between me and my CayBrew and conch fritters after a nice shore dive .....

trouble maker ...

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

http://www.compasscayman.com/whatshot/2014/09/02/Sunset-House--My-Bar-A-legendary-local-favorite/

In this day of teardowns and modern buildings being erected, it’s refreshing to see that some of the venues from our youth are still standing. Sunset House’s “My Bar” is one such venue – an oasis in the form of a large, thatch-roofed building that overlooks the water, where many happy memories have been created by families over the years.

My Bar is a local staple for many residents, and is a popular choice of divers.

Edited by Capt_BJ