What to do - NCL refuses to do exchange to Canadian dollars

Snowrose

So, we were looking at paying our final payment for our upcoming cruise. DH calls NCL and asks them what the exchange rate is, that we'd like to get the exchange rate that was available at the time we booked last October. This is what he was told:

Since we booked using our Future Cruise Certificate and that was in US dollars we CANNOT pay in Canadian dollars now!!!

They said we must go through a credit card and get stuck with the credit card exchange rate, which would now be around 1.31% :eek:

Um, what??? It's not our fault that NCL gives their FCC's in US dollars. Why are we locked into US dollars?

This sounds like another case of sour grapes related to not having read the terms and conditions upon purchase.

Read the T&Cs before buying, folks -- even if you're on the ship buying a FCR after having had a couple of drinks. It's still your responsibility to understand what it is you're buying.

Edited by triptolemus

First call again. You might get a different answer from another agent. Otherwise you ought to consider cancelling and rebooking. There is no way they will give you the rate from when you booked, but you maybe able to score today's rate if you are VERY polite and play dumb or rebook.

NCL does not advertise this perk to CAD cruisers and they are not obliged to give us anything. In the end, when you booked your cruise you thought you were paying in US and you are in no worse position now then you were then except for the declining CAD. (Thanks for the totally unneeded rate cut BOC). Whatever happens, try not to let this sour your vacation and chalk it up to a learning experience.

Perhaps another option is not to use the FCC for this cruise. You could save it for a future cruise when hopefully the exchange rate is more in your favour.

With the current difference between the NCL CDN rate and the rate your credit card charges for an American conversion being about 20% depending on what your final cruise cost is you might very well be further ahead in saving it for another time.

Also to note; When you purchase your FCC on board and hand in the paper work there is a section at the bottom where you can indicate the currency you wish the FCC to be in.

Rochelle

Doubt you would get Octobers CAD rate but yesterday NCL rate was around 1.19 compared to the banks at 1.31. We called in for a quote last night after the CAD dollar tanked yesterday and it was that price. NCL CAD rate made the cruise roughly $345 CAD cheaper then dealing with bank rates / currency exchanges.

As above said try calling again and speaking to a new agent. Hopefully it works out for you!

Edited by jb456

Also to note; When you purchase your FCC on board and hand in the paper work there is a section at the bottom where you can indicate the currency you wish the FCC to be in.

Those are for NCL's internal use - according to the rules the currency of a new FCR is determined by the office/currency the cruise it was bought on was booked with.

Those are for NCL's internal use - according to the rules the currency of a new FCR is determined by the office/currency the cruise it was bought on was booked with.

So does that mean when I am on my upcoming cruise that I booked in CDN (1.11 exchange), if I buy a FCC it will be in CDN and I can use it to book future cruises in CDN?

So does that mean when I am on my upcoming cruise that I booked in CDN (1.11 exchange), if I buy a FCC it will be in CDN and I can use it to book future cruises in CDN?

Yes, if you buy a FCC on a cruise booked in CAD, it will be in CAD. and it will probably not be worth exactly $250 CAD. It will be the CAD equivalent at the current NCL exchange rate.

And when you go to use it, you have to tell the TA it is a CAD FCC, or they won't be able to find it in their system. They will need to switch to the "Canadian system", and you will have to use it on a cruise booked in the Canadian system, in CAD.

I pre-pay everything, and buy OBC, when it is in my favour to do so.

Thanks to all those in this thread who have been so supportive and helpful. It's much appreciated and I've learned a lot.

Perhaps another option is not to use the FCC for this cruise. You could save it for a future cruise when hopefully the exchange rate is more in your favour.

That's an excellent idea, Rochelle. I wonder if they'd let us remove the FCC and then pay at the current conversion rate in Canadian Dollars? It would make more than $250 difference, I believe.

Thanks to all those in this thread who have been so supportive and helpful. It's much appreciated and I've learned a lot.

That's an excellent idea, Rochelle. I wonder if they'd let us remove the FCC and then pay at the current conversion rate in Canadian Dollars? It would make more than $250 difference, I believe.

Call and see, the worst they can say is no. If they do let you I beleive if you pre-pay the DSC that too goes through in CDN as well as purchasing OBC for other expenses on the ship. It could really add up to a nice bit of savings for you. If you do call please come back and let us know how it turns out for you.

Rochelle

Yes, if you buy a FCC on a cruise booked in CAD, it will be in CAD. and it will probably not be worth exactly $250 CAD. It will be the CAD equivalent at the current NCL exchange rate.

And when you go to use it, you have to tell the TA it is a CAD FCC, or they won't be able to find it in their system. They will need to switch to the "Canadian system", and you will have to use it on a cruise booked in the Canadian system, in CAD.

I pre-pay everything, and buy OBC, when it is in my favour to do so.

Last cruise it stated on the FCC how much my credit was in CDN or USD...

I bought a FCC in USD and it was converted to CAD upon booking my cruise directly with NCL. It has to be done at the time of booking not at a later date. Then your CAD exchange rate with NCL will be locked in.