HAL Zaandam vs. Ruby Princess

irvinejohn

My family's first cruise with kids was on the Zaandam to the Mexican Riviera two years ago. We just completed our second cruise on the Ruby Princess to Alaska.

Based on my very small sample size of just two ships, my family prefers the Zaandam over the Ruby.

I have a ongoing photo review going on in the Alaska port section that focuses mainly on the Ruby and Alaska, but I get in a few comparisons with the Zaandam.

Here is what I wrote on post 55 -

During breakfast, I asked my kids which cruise they liked better and for them the answer was clearly Zaandam, which goes against the perception of the more elderly demographic of HAL. For them while the Ruby was the biggest ship they have been on, there was less for kids to do.

On the Zaandam, there were two ping pong tables next to the swimming pool and an extra-large chess play set as well. There were only two pools on this ship but the largest pool was covered by a retractable roof so they could swim even during inclement weather. The Explorer’s Lounge/library room was a large and inviting space. The game room next door had a couple of jig saw puzzles out on a table that everybody could work on and separate stations for chess and checkers.

Finally their dining room server made all the difference on the Zaandam. He was very playful and a wonder with kids. There was no objection about eating dinner in the main dining room.

The Ruby did have miniature golf but since it was on deck 19, we were not comfortable without adult supervision all the way up there. And as I mentioned earlier the 8-12 age group did not like their kid’s club, the Shockwaves on the Ruby.

Don’t get me wrong – Princess and the Ruby are nice and some things are clearly done better. The Piazza is better than HAL’s atrium and the stability of the ship is welcome. The International Café is fantastic and the entertainment options seemed better. And all of us enjoyed the Pizza Bar.

Overall, I think that HAL fit us better with the larger and more functional cabin, and I liked the HAL buffet better than Princess because of greater variety such as panini sandwiches and grilled vegetables. Your mileage will likely vary as these are very personal preferences. My parents, experienced cruisers who have been on the RCI mega ships, like Princess the best BTW. I’ll revisit this topic at the end of the cruise, since I’m still getting to know Princess, but after three days I preferred HAL too.

For our next cruise, the kids have already requested the Zaandam. BTW we liked Alaska over Mexico, but note that the Alaska cruise is more expensive.

My two cents - having been on both ships - and most recently on the Zaandam to Alaska....

The Zaandam works much better for this itinerary: The Crow's Nest, the "not so secret" observation deck at the front of deck six, the ability to go out on the bow, the wide promenade deck, the open deck space at the back of the Lido deck - all provide excellent opportunities for viewing the outdoors.

Also the magrodome central pool which can be opened/closed is a perfect option for being outside during those chilly moments.

Thanks for the interesting comparison. We've been on Ruby Princess but not Zaandam (although we've been on Amsterdam, one of her sisters) and found each had unique qualities. I would say the children's programs on HAL are superior to those on Princess.

Enjoy your cruise! :)