Boxed Lunches

ginger123snaps

My husband and I ordered sandwiches and cookies from room service the evening before, and brought them with us to the beach. You can put them in zip lock bags (bring them along), and tuck them in a backpack or tote bag. They will not check your bags as you are leaving. My husband thought I was crazy to do it, but ended up loving our "picnic lunch". Have Fun! :)

Not that I know of for Princess.. I saw signs on my cruises that said no food to be brought off the ship..

I've seen those along with signs once we got off stating there would be penalites if caught with food off the ship. Prepackaged things are fine. Fruits, sandwiches, etc, not so fine

There's only one port that I know of where Princess provides a "boxed" lunch to carry off the ship and that was in Manaus, Brazil. I've taken the "Meeting of the Waters" tour twice and each time, we were given a Princess thermal lunch bag with sandwich, fruit, egg, soda and water. What people didn't eat was collected and distributed to the kids in the village we stopped at on the Amazon.

Unless Princess provides a lunch specifically for you, you should never bring food off the ship. Water, yes. Food, no. That shows a total disregard for the country you're visiting. You can't bring it into the U.S., why would you bring food into another country? I once saw a woman identified by a dog at baggage claim at Logan Airport in Boston after an international flight for having an apple in her bag. She was searched right there and taken away by the authorities.

It's nice to have a snack with you, but remember that one of the big criticisms from those who think that tourism is getting out of control is that the people visiting aren't helping the economy of the places they visit because they don't spend any money. Any place we have been that is frequented by tourists will have some enterprising people providing services tourists might be looking for.

One person carrying a couple sandwiches doesn't hurt, a few thousand people refusing to spend money is a nuisance that local people really don't want to deal with.

I don't know what beach you are visiting but I have been to Trunk Bay on St John, USVI and they do have a concession stand where they serve food and drinks...good fries. They also rent snorkel equiptment and have showers and restrooms. When I went (last year) the fee to get into the beach was $4pp. Hope this helps.

You are supposed to save the box just in case you need some paper-ish material for a sudden call of nature. Do NOT eat the box even if it is more tempting than the food inside. You can't count on your fellow tourists to "spare a square" if you are caught short. ;)

:D Good one! john:D

I just got off the Tahitian Princess a few weeks ago and I don't recall seeing any signs that we could not take any food off...but by the suggestions of past pax who did ask for a room service sandwich and packed it to go..I did this once only in Bora Bora. Food is terribly expensive in Tahiti and we were to be on all day excursion where only fruit was served to us.

I called room service in the morning and ordered two sandwiches that came with chips and cookies. I asked if they could wrap to go and they said they were not allowed to. I said fine. For some reason my husband had packed a whole box of the gallon zip lock bags. WHne the food came, it was two sandwiches that were on regular wheat bread with the crusts trimmed off and they were all loose. The chips were loose on the plate and the cookies were just on a plate. So I carefully wrapped the two sandwiches, chips and cookies and we had brought along a thermal soft lunch box and shoved everything in there. On a quick motu stop on the excursion, we scarfed down the food and took all trash with us.I did not see anything wrong with a "leave nothing behind" meal.

It really was not worth the trouble doing it again..especially if you do not have a way to keep the food cool!

Archived