NCL: A Contrarian View

Dr. Cocktail

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I would hope they're not all that corrupt.

As for the last few months, I was in my pre-cruise glow, so I don't think I noticed.

I'm the same way right before a cruise, i hope you had fun.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I would hope they're not all that corrupt.

As for the last few months, I was in my pre-cruise glow, so I don't think I noticed.

Oh, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt also but Del Rio started to turn me off when he asked in an interview "can I get $4 or $5 more from you and yourfwife per day, I have a lot of levers to pull" and followed that up with comments to investors "people aren't going to notice a 25 cent increase in the cost of a soda and they will buy it anyway since they are a captive audience", and then they came out with the inane policy that you can't take food back to your cabin from a dining venue in order to make people pay the $7.95 room service charge while telling everyone it's for "health and safety". maywell has provided some good links in her post a few below yours.

All of the above has left me feeling very cynical about Del Rio et al and has used up whatever goodwill NCL had built up with me over the years. I will still consider them when booking a cruise but they will have to get me onboard with the fare, not try to entice me with a bunch of "free" stuff that is really just included in the fare to begin with.

Lmaoooo yes it does. I think some people don't understand the point of a board of directors lol.
I must live in another universe. The Board of Directors for the company I worked for for over 30 years and the board for the company I called on for 16 years, never got involved in the day-to-day running of the companies. When the company I worked for wanted to raise prices or make policy changes, it never alerted the board prior to the change nor did they ask their permission. The boards for both company would, however, tell the top brass at each company what increases they wanted in revenue for the year and then it was up to the executives to come up with a game plan and implement it and then report back to the board, at their meetings, the results of the plan. If the plan didn't work out, the board would begin to chop heads.

Also, I would seriously doubt that anyone on NCL's Board of Directors has ever been involved in the cruise industry, so for them to come up with changes would not be logical.

It is certainly possibly that other industry Board of Directors work totally different that those in the industry I worked for.

I must live in another universe. The Board of Directors for the company I worked for for over 30 years and the board for the company I called on for 16 years, never got involved in the day-to-day running of the companies. When the company I worked for wanted to raise prices or make policy changes, it never alerted the board prior to the change nor did they ask their permission. The boards for both company would, however, tell the top brass at each company what increases they wanted in revenue for the year and then it was up to the executives to come up with a game plan and implement it and then report back to the board, at their meetings, the results of the plan. If the plan didn't work out, the board would begin to chop heads.

Also, I would seriously doubt that anyone on NCL's Board of Directors has ever been involved in the cruise industry, so for them to come up with changes would not be logical.

It is certainly possibly that other industry Board of Directors work totally different that those in the industry I worked for.

I'm just saying its not solely up to Del Rio, maybe the vice president has a say but as I said before the man is not a dictator lol.

I'm just saying its not solely up to Del Rio, maybe the vice president has a say but as I said before the man is not a dictator lol.
You are correct it is not solely up to Mr. Del Rio, but I seriously doubt, as you have stated before, that the board is involved at all in the changes that have been made. If NCL works like most company, in their executive meetings (no board members present), the head of each of the department come up with their plans and they are discussed, adjusted if needed, approved and then implemented. Of course, Mr. Del Rio and Mr. Stuart would have to approve the changes, but it doesn't mean they came up with them. Edited by NLH Arizona

Really? Because all the companies I've worked for were bunch of 'Yes-men' formalizing the approval of the plans /changes/ whatever, just in case, the Feds came knocking and investigating some wrongdoing. (Gotta love financial firms - just when you think you've seen everything, BAM! Something straight out the woodwork...) The board might not run the everday but they still have to notified at least once a month or a quarter of business operations before giving their 'approval' (Before anyone says 'Whatever, know-it-all' - I get the bank notice, previous meeting's minutes & day-to-day operation monitoring along with the agenda for my boss before the board meeting date - that pretty much how 'approvals' are done.*shrug*)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

You are correct it is not solely up to Mr. Del Rio, but I seriously doubt, as you have stated before, that the board is involved at all in the changes that have been made. If NCL works like most company, in their executive meetings (no board members present), the head of each of the department come up with their plans and they are discussed, adjusted if needed, approved and then implemented. Of course, Mr. Del Rio and Mr. Stuart would have to approve the changes, but it doesn't mean they came up with them.

So there is a possibility that other people came up with it and Del Rio and Mr Stewart just approved it right?

Really? Because all the companies I've worked for were bunch of 'Yes-men' formalizing the approval of the plans /changes/ whatever, just in case, the Feds came knocking and investigating some wrongdoing. (Gotta love financial firms - just when you think you've seen everything, BAM! Something straight out the woodwork...) The board might not run the everday but they still have to notified at least once a month or a quarter of business operations before giving their 'approval' (Before anyone says 'Whatever, know-it-all' - I get the bank notice, previous meeting's minutes & day-to-day operation monitoring along with the agenda for my boss before the board meeting date - that pretty much how 'approvals' are done.*shrug*)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Like I said, other industries might do it differently and I don't think that the cruise industry is under the microscope by the feds as your industry sounds.

If you read my post, I did say the board was update at the meetings, but I seriously doubt if they have to give their approval for day-to-day changes. All the board is really concerned with is the outcomes of the plans and what it will do to the bottom line and the stock price.

So there is a possibility that other people came up with it and Del Rio and Mr Stewart just approved it right?

If they approved it who else is to blame? The guy at the top always gets the blame, rightly or wrongly. Just ask any President of the US.

On a related note, we just returned from a 12 day land vacation in the U.S., driving around New England and NYC. Spent about $3000. The equivalent of cruising for us (we usually cruise insides or oceanviews, have a high bar bill, enjoy a few specialty restaurants and an excursion or two) .

We had to skimp to keep our total spending to $3000. I felt resentful of the skimping throughout the vacation (couldn't see museums that weren't free, couldn't enjoy full dinners, ate at fast food restaurants sometimes, mostly did free hotel breakfasts if included, stayed at hotels off the interstates-away from nice areas). And we still managed to spend about $3000. Gah.

And? It was much more stressful and allowed for little real relaxation time. Reminded me of why we love to cruise and how spoiled we get for the price!

We continue to land vacation in some way each year for many reasons, but cruising is such a treat for the same amount of money!

On a related note, we just returned from a 12 day land vacation in the U.S., driving around New England and NYC. Spent about $3000. The equivalent of cruising for us (we usually cruise insides or oceanviews, have a high bar bill, enjoy a few specialty restaurants and an excursion or two) .

We had to skimp to keep our total spending to $3000. I felt resentful of the skimping throughout the vacation (couldn't see museums that weren't free, couldn't enjoy full dinners, ate at fast food restaurants sometimes, mostly did free hotel breakfasts if included, stayed at hotels off the interstates-away from nice areas). And we still managed to spend about $3000. Gah.

And? It was much more stressful and allowed for little real relaxation time. Reminded me of why we love to cruise and how spoiled we get for the price!

We continue to land vacation in some way each year for many reasons, but cruising is such a treat for the same amount of money!

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Everyone thinks we are crazy because we keep booking cruises. I just can't imagine pleasing 2 adults and 2 kids with a land vacation for the same amount of money. Going to NYC and Niagara Falls is on my list but sounds exhausting and expensive compared to a cruise.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected. Everyone thinks we are crazy because we keep booking cruises. I just can't imagine pleasing 2 adults and 2 kids with a land vacation for the same amount of money. Going to NYC and Niagara Falls is on my list but sounds exhausting and expensive compared to a cruise.

Jerry Seinfeld said "there is no such thing as fun for the entire family" but a cruise sure does come close:D.

Jerry Seinfeld said "there is no such thing as fun for the entire family" but a cruise sure does come close:D.

I loved the Seinfeld show, but disagree with that statement.

Even when my kids were young, taking them to do kids stuff was always great fun.

When they got old enough, taking them on trips overseas, etc. was a real experience. Sometimes they tired or art galleries or sightseeing, but they learning a lot of art and history and that stayed with them into adulthood.