Anyone back from the 175th Anniversary crossing ?

Host Hattie

We were on deck six and were given a time from, I think, 7.45am onwards to go to the immigration check. When we got down the queue was close to the Purser's Desk and took no longer than an hour as we were in Boston centre by 9.00am. I said earlier on in the thread that because no one took our landing card it made the entire process pointless, if we'd have wanted to enter the U.S. illegally we could have done so by simply walking off the ship at the first opportunity and not returned, and if we so desired we could have returned to the ship and carried on until New York for as far as immigration knew there we had been checked in Boston.

In the last twelve months I've been through Chicago, Boston, Orlando and all three New York City airports, plus Boston Port's, immigration and everyone of them has been an experience in one hand not knowing what the other one's doing. It's a bit of a mess.

Good morning Jimmy.

See my entry above.

I thought the 'blue' landing card was an indicator that a passenger/crew member had been cleared by immigration and could then make multiple entry/ exits from the ship.

We were on deck six and were given a time from, I think, 7.45am onwards to go to the immigration check. When we got down the queue was close to the Purser's Desk and took no longer than an hour as we were in Boston centre by 9.00am. I said earlier on in the thread that because no one took our landing card it made the entire process pointless, if we'd have wanted to enter the U.S. illegally we could have done so by simply walking off the ship at the first opportunity and not returned, and if we so desired we could have returned to the ship and carried on until New York for as far as immigration knew there we had been checked in Boston.

In the last twelve months I've been through Chicago, Boston, Orlando and all three New York City airports, plus Boston Port's, immigration and everyone of them has been an experience in one hand not knowing what the other one's doing. It's a bit of a mess.

Though of course your cruise card was swiped before you were processed by immigration and again when you left the ship.

Big brother was watching you.

As a resident on Deck 6 your time was actually 6.30 to 7.45...

20112767201_ce22b44167_z.jpg

I, and I now understand that Balf was too, had the same time slot (6.30 to 7.45) because we were on Deck 11...

19672740098_aee4c6ce57_z.jpg

My wife and I had breakfast first and then joined the queue, well inside our slot, which was by that time extended to the main entrance to the Chart Room adjacent Stairway C.

It was moving but slowly. We later learned that this was due to the excursion passengers, who had mustered in the Royal court Theatre, were being fed through the Art Gallery into the Queens room.

Edited by Solent Richard

What I don't understand is why Immigration is so smooth in the terminal/pier and such a mess when on board.

A couple of points.

The immigration officers were not the usual 'port' personnel: the were drafted in from Boston'e Logan Airport.

For whatever reason they had no computer support and therefore no facility to swipe our passports: each one being manually read and stamped.

With regard to the above I suspect that that is why we were asked to bring our ESTA print outs: which in our case were then not requested or sighted.

Though of course your cruise card was swiped before you were processed by immigration and again when you left the ship.

Big brother was watching you.

You're quite correct Solent Richard, A family of four (who were just ahead of me at the Gang Way) were refused disembarkation and all turned back for clearance .

When I asked security how would know that, he pointed to my personal information of the screen in front of him and showed me where it had flagged up that I'd had the key card swiped in the Britannia restaurant just before entering the Queens Room .;)

You're quite correct Solent Richard, A family of four (who were just ahead of me at the Gang Way) were refused disembarkation and all turned back for clearance .

When I asked security how would know that, he pointed to my personal information of the screen in front of him and showed me where it had flagged up that I'd had the key card swiped in the Britannia restaurant just before entering the Queens Room .;)

Well there you go then Bell Boy, thank you for the confirmation.

Big Brother is watching us. ;):rolleyes: