Need help planning first time in NYC

I will be traveling with my mother, who is unable to walk long distances. We will have 2 days in New York before our cruise. On my roll call, someone recommended a private tour. Has anyone used a private tour company or is the HOHO buses the best way to see the sights. We do not like heights so we are not interested on going up to the observation decks on Empire State Building or On Top of the Rock. We do want to see the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. I have read on Tripadvisers about Custom and Private NYC Tours Inc. Has anyone used them or any other private tour company. We would like to see as much as we can in one day and see a Broadway show the next day and explore Times Square. My cruise planner recommended us to stay at the Westin New York at Times Square hotel for our pre cruise stay. Any suggestions for a good Seafood restaurant close to Times Square?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, Linda

I will be traveling with my mother, who is unable to walk long distances. We will have 2 days in New York before our cruise. On my roll call, someone recommended a private tour. Has anyone used a private tour company or is the HOHO buses the best way to see the sights. We do not like heights so we are not interested on going up to the observation decks on Empire State Building or On Top of the Rock. We do want to see the 9/11 Memorial and the Statue of Liberty. I have read on Tripadvisers about Custom and Private NYC Tours Inc. Has anyone used them or any other private tour company. We would like to see as much as we can in one day and see a Broadway show the next day and explore Times Square. My cruise planner recommended us to stay at the Westin New York at Times Square hotel for our pre cruise stay. Any suggestions for a good Seafood restaurant close to Times Square? Thank you in advance for any suggestions, Linda

Aloha Linda/lperry1016 :D

When is your cruise? Is this your first time in NYC? Because of your short pre-cruise time, you need a lot more research.

The reason I ask is because it sounds like you think "Times Square" is a single place. Times Square is actually a neighborhood in Midtown Manhattan between Broadway & 7th Ave. and W. 42nd to W. 47th St. The walk from the Westin New York at Times Square hotel to the Times Square Information Center at 7th Ave. & W. 47th St. is .3 miles (600 yards or 6 football fields). And "seeing" Times Square is actually walking and looking thru all of the windows and/or stopping at the shops.

When you say you want to see the sights, you really have to understand what is involved in actually seeing each location. When you say the "9/11 Memorial" do you mean the 9/11 Memorial Museum? Or do you mean the 9/11 Tribute site? Both have guided tours.

You've spent some time figuring out what you don't want to do (no ESB or Top of the Rock). Unless you want to just take a pre-packaged "NYC Tour" where you are taken to the most commonly visited sites, you need to do more research about what you think you might want to do then tailor a self planned tour using taxis to get you to the specific locations.

I Google, use TripAdvisor a lot, and look for video on YouTube to help me plan our vacation sightseeing. These free online tools really help.

Good luck & Aloha :D

ps. I just looked at your previous postings and saw that you are on the Roll Call for August 25, 2016 - Anthem 9 Day Canada and New England from Bayonne.

We are taking the Sept 10, 2015 LOS 9 day NE/CA also out of Cape Liberty. Less than 2 months & the excitement builds!

And pay attention to 138east/Carol, she is very knowledgeable and gives very sound advice ! ! ! KUDOS TO CAROL ! ! !

Edited by rakuroda

I agree with the need for more research, particularly if your mother has mobility issues. That is a serious concern in NYC where walking is the norm and places to sit down can be few and far between.

What are your other travel arrangements? What airport are you flying into and how are you getting to your hotel? What is the plan for getting to Cape Liberty which is in NJ - you don't just want to flag a cab on the street in NY. What is the plan for getting from Cape Liberty to the airport? Can your mother walk onto the ship or does she need wheelchair assistance?

Where is your cabin on the Anthem? The ship is enormous. Will your mom be able to get around the ship let alone walk the long hot piers in the ports?

We are doing a pre cruise package through Royal Caribbean, so we will have transportation to the hotel and to por t. I did think Times Square was maybe a square block. My Mom is not in a wheelchair but can not walk long distances. On our past cruises, she walked to the ports to shop. We usually do the excursions that do not require require a lot of walking. I am hoping to be able to do the same thing in New York. We would like to see the 9/11 Memorial museum. My Mom will be 81 years old when we go on August 23 -24, 2016 then do the 9 day New England/Canada itinerary. This will be my Mom's second time in New York, which was before 9/11. She told me that they did the Grayline tour at that time. Someone on my roll call suggested that a private tour maybe the way to go. I am not sure what there is to see. I know that I want to see the 9/11 Memorial Museum and the Staute of Liberty. I read that a ferry will go to the Statue of Liberty and then come back. I read that some tours go to the different neighborhoods which will give the tourist a different view of New York. We want to see a Broadway Show, so will I want to get a Taxi or car to take us there and back? Yes, I agree that I need to do more research. I am not sure where to look for the correct information except for cruise critic.

Hey Linda!

I think I told you to start another thread with your questions, so glad that you did. The Westin will be in Times Square, so as others have said, you can see as much or as little as you feel like! It is a zoo.

I do think you need to do a lot of research on what interests you. Look for a guide book with sections for travelers with mobility issues. There may be great ideas in there that none of us would think of. I walk Manhattan, and highly recommend it, but that doesn't sound like a good option for you.

As I said on the other thread, the HOHO may be a good option for you. But, picking a handful of places you really want to go and catching cabs may also work well. For instance, I'm not a big fan of Central Park carriage rides as you miss so much of the park, but if you can't walk distances, that might be a way to see it.

As for seafood near Times Square: Two recommendations, one expensive, the other once in a lifetime, Michelin 3 stars and more expensive (but everything in Manhattan is expensive!).

In Times Square on the first floor of the W Hotel is Blue Fin. It's been a few years, but it was always very good. They are on the internet to look at their menu.

Now, a little more unique idea that will take 2-3 hours of a day (and set you back a few bucks), but is unbelievable: Le Bernadin. 51st between 6th and 7th Avenues. Lunch (last seating is at 2:30) is 3 courses fix prixe for currently $80 plus tax and tip per person; dinner is 4 courses fix prixe for $140. Reservations open on the first of the month for the following month by phone, or 30 days out on Open Table. It may have taken over from Commander's Palace in New Orleans as my favorite restaurant. (If you do it, I'd actually recommend the last lunch seating; it's a filling meal.)

http://www.bluefinnyc.com/

https://www.le-bernardin.com/

I forgot to mention which cabin we have on the Anthem of the Seas. We are in a balcony cabin by the elevators on the 11th floor midship. Our cruise is August 25, 2016. We are arriving to New York at JFK airport. I do not know what time yet as the flights are through June 2016. My cruise planner told me that I will be able to book the flights in September.

I forgot to mention which cabin we have on the Anthem of the Seas. We are in a balcony cabin by the elevators on the 11th floor midship. Our cruise is August 25, 2016. We are arriving to New York at JFK airport. I do not know what time yet as the flights are through June 2016. My cruise planner told me that I will be able to book the flights in September.

I just want to be sure. You're on the Anthem out of Cape Liberty, correct? And you're flying in from Chattanooga, TN? Are you flying home from the cruise, or is this a one way? (I can't find your sailing on RCCL's web page tonight; it's only going through April for Anthem.)

The reason I'm asking is JFK wouldn't necessarily be my first choice on your airport if you're departing post cruise in New Jersey. Newark Liberty International is much closer, and not really any more difficult to get to Manhattan. JFK is traditionally the Europe bound international airport. From JFK to Manhattan then Manhattan on to Cape Liberty is certainly doable, but I would really hate to have to go all the way to JFK after the cruise for a domestic flight. Which just means check flights to all the area airports: EWR, LGA, and JFK. And price private transfers versus RCCL transfers. Factor transportation to and from each into the overall price. For instance, cabs are on a fixed fare from JFK to Manhattan, but aren't from LGA or EWR. But JFK is probably the longest drive from the cruise terminal. A car service from EWR to Manhattan and back will be significantly more expensive than from LGA or JFK, but the flights may be much more affordable from EWR. And you'll probably have to pay for a car from Manhattan to Cape Liberty either way. Part of that research we're all talking about, and remember, unlike many who post here, you've got time!

We are flying back home from Newark but flying into New York from JFK for the two days in New York. Because the hotel is booked through Royal Caribbean, they will transport us to the hotel then to the port in New Jersey and then to Newark after the cruise. We always book our transportation and flights through Royal Caribbean. It is less confusing for us and we have never had any problems with Royal Caribbean transfers. To find our cruise look up Anthem of the Seas, Canada/New England, and August 2016. Anthem has two cruises in August. One on the 11th and on the 25th 2016. Thank you for any suggestions, Linda

We are flying back home from Newark but flying into New York from JFK for the two days in New York. Because the hotel is booked through Royal Caribbean, they will transport us to the hotel then to the port in New Jersey and then to Newark after the cruise. We always book our transportation and flights through Royal Caribbean. It is less confusing for us and we have never had any problems with Royal Caribbean transfers. To find our cruise look up Anthem of the Seas, Canada/New England, and August 2016. Anthem has two cruises in August. One on the 11th and on the 25th 2016. Thank you for any suggestions, Linda

OK. THAT makes sense! You had me worried for a minute! If they're getting you a good fare, one way from JFK to Cape Liberty with a layover in Manhattan, then Cape Liberty to EWR does make sense. Most people on the board don't do that! So, that's not something you need to worry about, but you may get asked again if this thread lasts awhile!

I wish I knew something about private tours in NYC. I have friends who live there, and maybe they know something, but likely as not they just hit the bus, Long Island Rail, or NJ Transit to get to work... Did you have a budget in mind for a day tour? The ones I saw were in the $100+ per person range, and weren't necessarily in anything smaller than the HOHO buses.

Tripadvisor gave a five star rating to Custom and Private New York Tours Inc. they are asking for around 1200 for a 4 hour tour. I do not know enough about New York to know if that is a good deal or not. I read that the tourist have to beware of the scams that are around the tourist sites. I have read about the different subway trains to take, but I was very confused by the time I finished reading it.t Mom stated that she did not intend to take the subway. I am hoping someone will be able to tell me of a good tour for people with mobility issues. I will get a travel guide about New York as was suggested. I am giving this trip to my Mother for her Christmas gift. As she said this is the last cruise on her bucket list, so I want it to be perfect for her. I have a special needs son and my Mother has always taken care of him so I could go to school and work when he was younger. She still watches him while I am at work. My nephew helps with my son at times. I can never repay her for what she has done for us, but I want to honor her by giving her this trip. She was raised in New England, Conniticut and she wants to travel up the East Coast one last time. With that said, I truly appreciate all the suggestions that I have received and hopefully continue to receive. Thank you again, Linda

We are doing a pre cruise package through Royal Caribbean, so we will have transportation to the hotel and to por t. I did think Times Square was maybe a square block. My Mom is not in a wheelchair but can not walk long distances. On our past cruises, she walked to the ports to shop. We usually do the excursions that do not require require a lot of walking. I am hoping to be able to do the same thing in New York. We would like to see the 9/11 Memorial museum. My Mom will be 81 years old when we go on August 23 -24, 2016 then do the 9 day New England/Canada itinerary. This will be my Mom's second time in New York, which was before 9/11. She told me that they did the Grayline tour at that time. Someone on my roll call suggested that a private tour maybe the way to go. I am not sure what there is to see. I know that I want to see the 9/11 Memorial Museum and the Staute of Liberty. I read that a ferry will go to the Statue of Liberty and then come back. I read that some tours go to the different neighborhoods which will give the tourist a different view of New York. We want to see a Broadway Show, so will I want to get a Taxi or car to take us there and back? Yes, I agree that I need to do more research. I am not sure where to look for the correct information except for cruise critic.

I read that the tourist have to beware of the scams that are around the tourist sites. Linda

Aloha lperry1016/Linda :D

Based on the information you have provided thus far, you & your 81yo mother limited walking, will fly into JFK on Tuesday, 8/23/2016, time unknown, check-in 3pm, Westin New York at Times Square, 8th Ave. & 43rd Street. Check-out 8/25/2016, 11am, RCI shuttle to Cape Liberty cruise port. From the information you've provided, for private tour for $1,200 for 4 hours, you'll just be paying for a driver to wait for you. The places you want to go have their own tour guides.

We've had quite a bit of experience traveling with family in their 80s & 90s, some with limited walking ability, so keeping in mind that NYC will probably be hot & humid during August, my suggestions are:

8/23 slow walk around Times Square, rest, dinner near theater/hotel, broadway show http://www.broadway.com/, walk/taxi back to hotel. Most of the Broadway show theaters will be close to your hotel. We use Google Maps to check the distance between locations, so use it to check the distance between the theater & hotel. From your hotel, it's probably only going to be a 2-3 block walk. If it is more than your mom wants to walk, then by all means take a taxi.

8/24 taxi (should be $15-$20, depending on traffic) to 9/11 Memorial Museum and/or 9/11 Tribute Center http://www.911memorial.org/visit http://www.911memorial.org/911-tribute-center, taxi to Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island ferry at Battery Park (about $10), taxi back to hotel (about $30-$35), rest, dinner near theater/hotel, broadway show, walk/taxi back to hotel. It is just a little over .6 mile from the 9/11 Memorial Museum to the Statue of Liberty ferry from Battery Park so we're recommending a taxi. Mom will be walking some more around the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island. The ferry goes around in a loop with 3 stops, the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, Battery Park. From New Jersey it goes from Liberty Park, to the Statue of Liberty, then Ellis Island.

8/25 breakfast, re-pack, shuttle to Cape Liberty.

Reasons, good restaurants in immediate area of hotel, theaters in immediate area of hotel (yeah we suggested seeing two shows because when is mom going to go back to NYC?). Limit activities so no rushing. The 9/11 Memorial Museum and/or 9/11 Tribute Center & the Statue of Liberty and/or Ellis Island can take all day. The Statue of Liberty ferry leaves from Battery Park http://www.thebattery.org/ which is also one of the attractions of NYC.

We wouldn't look for any good seafood restaurants in NYC. Your cruise is stopping in New England and Canadian ports where you will be able to eat some of the freshest & best prepared seafood for lunch. While in NYC, eat Italian, Polish, Korean, etc. (real good Korean food in NYC).

These are our suggestions. If you think the pace is too slow, we can recommend more stuff, but we like to rest & sometimes shower in the afternoons before going out again at night when we visit NYC. Our daughter lives in Manhattan so we visit fairly often now and even before, after our first trip to NYC, we've learned that we can't see everything at once. We've left off Central Park & the museums near it for this trip because they are all a lot of walking. If you like, you could add in the Macy's Flagship store on 34th street on the way back from the Statue of Liberty (use taxis), or you could do it instead of walking around Times Square (about $10).

Oh, and don't worry about tourist scams. There are tourist scams in Tennessee big cities just as there are in NYC. Just use common sense. No Linda, you cannot get a Gucci bag for $25 in NYC any more than you can in Memphis, Tennessee. Always ask how much and be prepared to walk away just like back in Tennessee.

Aloha :D

Edited by rakuroda

Thank you Rakuroda for the suggestions. I do like the idea of two Broadway shows. I will print out your suggestions and follow your itinerary. We will be able to see without her being too exhausted to enjoy our cruise. It is good news that I will not have to spend 1200 or more for a tour. The next question I have is about getting a taxi. Will I book a taxi before our trip or do people really hail a taxi as portrayed on TV? In Chattanooga, we have to call for a taxi to pick you up. Thank you again to everyone who had given me great information!

Thank you Rakuroda for the suggestions. I do like the idea of two Broadway shows. I will print out your suggestions and follow your itinerary. We will be able to see without her being too exhausted to enjoy our cruise. It is good news that I will not have to spend 1200 or more for a tour. The next question I have is about getting a taxi. Will I book a taxi before our trip or do people really hail a taxi as portrayed on TV? In Chattanooga, we have to call for a taxi to pick you up. Thank you again to everyone who had given me great information!

Aloha lperry1016/Linda :D

Getting a taxi in NYC is not like Chattanooga. In NYC it's real easy to get a taxi (just step into the street & one will run over you). Most hotels have a doorman that will call a taxi for you or will step out to the street and wave one down (don't forget to tip him $2 & he'll ask you the next time you step outside if you need one). At the attractions you will be going to, just ask someone that looks like they work there (uniform), and they will tell you where the taxis are lined up. If you are leaving the theater or restaurant in the evening, step to the street and stick up your hand like on TV and whistle or show some skin (LOL), nah, just stick up your hand and wave slowly side-to-side. At night, the taxis that are available have the light on top lighted. If it isn't, it is already occupied. With taxi drivers, be assertive. When you speak to one, if you don't understand him/her, just go to the next one, and if the first one wants to argue with you tell him that you only deal with people you can understand, don't argue too long, and just turn away because arguing is a past-time for taxi drivers in NYC. You will find that there are good & nice taxi drivers and those that god doesn't want to deal with. BE ASSERTIVE in NYC. Most of the time they are not trying to be rude, it's just the culture in NYC, so don't get upset. Start by being the nice person that you normally are, but be prepared, again, don't get upset, just get ASSERTIVE. It's amazing how quickly they turn nice when they understand that they can't run over the little lady from Chattanooga with the steel spine. And have fun with it, it's part of the NYC experience.

Thank you do much for your help. I am so thankful that markeb advised me to start a new link. Thank you 138east for your advise too. Rakuroda, thank you for helping me plan this trip to New York. I will take your advise on the taxis to the sights we want to see and for planning for time for my Mom to rest before going out again. Not have ever been to New York, I did not know where to begin on planning this trip. I will write in again if I need further advise. Thank you again, Linda

Thank you do much for your help. I am so thankful that markeb advised me to start a new link. Thank you 138east for your advise too. Rakuroda, thank you for helping me plan this trip to New York. I will take your advise on the taxis to the sights we want to see and for planning for time for my Mom to rest before going out again. Not have ever been to New York, I did not know where to begin on planning this trip. I will write in again if I need further advise. Thank you again, Linda

Aloha lperry1016 :D

Glad to be able to help someone especially someone taking care of Mom. First time in REALLY BIG CITY like NYC can be scary. The first time we came to NYC, you didn't walk around Times Square (all the sex shops & touts, drunks passed out, etc.) It's really cleaned up now and made nice for the visitors so it's pretty safe, but still, don't be paranoid, but keep your wits about you.

Tripadvisor gave a five star rating to Custom and Private New York Tours Inc. they are asking for around 1200 for a 4 hour tour. I do not know enough about New York to know if that is a good deal or not.

Seriously? That is an absurdly high amount of money. In four hours, they are not going to show you much more than a HOHO bus tour would for about $150. Scams in NYC? You just found one, IMO.

Edited by Langoustine

Hey Linda!

Glad I could help. I think you've got the beginnings of a plan! And very good advice from someone who's actually done something like this, which I have not!

I will respectfully disagree with our Hawaiian colleague on seafood, but it is a matter of taste. The two I posted earlier are both high end or really high end specialty seafood. Check out their menus. They may well not appeal at all to your mother, especially if she's originally from New England and is thinking of a really good bowl of chowder...

Do be prepared for budget shock; I think most first run Broadway plays are up to $150/person for orchestra and front mezzanine!

Best of luck! We did a similar cruise years ago on HAL that went from Montreal to Boston. It was one of our favorites!

Hey Linda!

Glad I could help. I think you've got the beginnings of a plan! And very good advice from someone who's actually done something like this, which I have not!

I will respectfully disagree with our Hawaiian colleague on seafood, but it is a matter of taste. The two I posted earlier are both high end or really high end specialty seafood. Check out their menus. They may well not appeal at all to your mother, especially if she's originally from New England and is thinking of a really good bowl of chowder...

Do be prepared for budget shock; I think most first run Broadway plays are up to $150/person for orchestra and front mezzanine!

Best of luck! We did a similar cruise years ago on HAL that went from Montreal to Boston. It was one of our favorites!

Aloha markeb/lperry1016@yahoo.com :D

So "Budget Shock" yes the show prices for the high demand show can seem outrageous to someone from Hawaii or Tennessee (I paid over $1,100 for 5 tickets to a new show one time (me, wife, son, daughter, nephew) for good seats, & I don't remember what the show was (and my frugal daughter, who lives in Manhattan & wanted to perform, arranged the tickets for the show that wife wanted to see). But if you're in NYC, that can be the cost.

Now when it comes to food, tastes differ just like opinions. Being from Hawaii where we eat seafood all the time and having travelled to New England & Japan where we tried to eat as much seafood as we could (Qualifier - we've been to Memphis and had the BBQ & tried seafood there as well as we do whenever we travel). My wife loves a good NE clam chowda or a lobster roll without an oversized roll, and I like a good lobster stew (I prefer a whole softshell myself). I am a foodie!

I looked at the menus for the two restaurants recommended and didn't like either one. With both restaurants you are paying for the experience of dining in their restaurant, not for the food. When we travel & go to a new Chinatown, we select the place by sticking our head into the restaurant & see if it's crowded. If it's not, we don't eat there, if it is, we don't mind if we have to wait. I also ask the locals where's the best place to eat. My shyness is overpowered by my desire to enjoy my food. I've had some of the best tasting foods in little Mom & Pop restaurants or a little hole-in-the-wall. And I always ask about their specialities.

At Blue Fin For example, I wouldn't pay $8 for edamame with ichimi pepper, salt (soy beans with red pepper flakes & salt), or $10 for 6 cherrystone clams. And the sushi & sashimi prices are outrageous.

Personally I like to eat in the delis in NYC, or the pizza places, if not, I still think that good Italian in NYC is better than the seafood in NYC.

Again IMHO ! ! !

Aloha markeb/lperry1016@yahoo.com :D

So "Budget Shock" yes the show prices for the high demand show can seem outrageous to someone from Hawaii or Tennessee (I paid over $1,100 for 5 tickets to a new show one time (me, wife, son, daughter, nephew) for good seats, & I don't remember what the show was (and my frugal daughter, who lives in Manhattan & wanted to perform, arranged the tickets for the show that wife wanted to see). But if you're in NYC, that can be the cost.

Now when it comes to food, tastes differ just like opinions. Being from Hawaii where we eat seafood all the time and having travelled to New England & Japan where we tried to eat as much seafood as we could (Qualifier - we've been to Memphis and had the BBQ & tried seafood there as well as we do whenever we travel). My wife loves a good NE clam chowda or a lobster roll without an oversized roll, and I like a good lobster stew (I prefer a whole softshell myself). I am a foodie!

I looked at the menus for the two restaurants recommended and didn't like either one. With both restaurants you are paying for the experience of dining in their restaurant, not for the food. When we travel & go to a new Chinatown, we select the place by sticking our head into the restaurant & see if it's crowded. If it's not, we don't eat there, if it is, we don't mind if we have to wait. I also ask the locals where's the best place to eat. My shyness is overpowered by my desire to enjoy my food. I've had some of the best tasting foods in little Mom & Pop restaurants or a little hole-in-the-wall. And I always ask about their specialities.

At Blue Fin For example, I wouldn't pay $8 for edamame with ichimi pepper, salt (soy beans with red pepper flakes & salt), or $10 for 6 cherrystone clams. And the sushi & sashimi prices are outrageous.

Personally I like to eat in the delis in NYC, or the pizza places, if not, I still think that good Italian in NYC is better than the seafood in NYC.

Again IMHO ! ! !

And as you say, that's why there are all kinds of restaurants, and I'm kind of guessing from Linda's follow on posts about her mother that she might not care for either of those either. The one you're paying for being in Times Square, the other is a Michelin 3-star French/French inspired seafood restaurant that I love, but not everyone will.

AND, if pizza's on the menu and you're staying in Times Square, I'd hit John's on 44th. Recommendations for good Italian or good pizza in NYC is kind of like recommending barbecue in Texas!

Like you say, there's too much good food in New York! At all price points.

AND, if pizza's on the menu and you're staying in Times Square, I'd hit John's on 44th.

Our highlights for this trip are Katz's Delicatessen on 9/9 (can't believe we haven't eaten there yet) and the 9/11 Memorial Museum on 9/19 (taking frugal daughter or she'll never it on her own, she just doesn't want to be around me when I want to eat) (We've never made it to the top of the ESB or the TOR either). We don't fly out until 9/21, but she hasn't decided what I want to see/do yet.

Recommendations for good Italian or good pizza in NYC is kind of like recommending barbecue in Texas!
We're staying at 35th & 6th (close to Macy's) so there's lots to see & do. I'll add John's on 44th to my list. (Hey! I can eat as much pizza as I can hold). I like listening to NYers argue about where the BEST Italian, deli, pizza can be found in Manhattan.

Our highlights for this trip are Katz's Delicatessen on 9/9 (can't believe we haven't eaten there yet) and the 9/11 Memorial Museum on 9/19 (taking frugal daughter or she'll never it on her own, she just doesn't want to be around me when I want to eat) (We've never made it to the top of the ESB or the TOR either). We don't fly out until 9/21, but she hasn't decided what I want to see/do yet. We're staying at 35th & 6th (close to Macy's) so there's lots to see & do. I'll add John's on 44th to my list. (Hey! I can eat as much pizza as I can hold). I like listening to NYers argue about where the BEST Italian, deli, pizza can be found in Manhattan.

I've got one group of friends who swear by Katz's, and another group that swear at it! Can't recall their current favorite.

And, any NY'er will tell you the best pizza's "somewhere" in the Village! (The original John's on Bleecker is frequently mentioned. They used to be the same company, but apparently there were "family issues"...)

Any anyway, anyone who lives in Kaneohe and gets to travel to Manhattan! Just saying! Enjoy!:) (There probably is a windward side of Manhattan if you're feeling homesick...)

I just looked at the menu and it looks amazing. I will definitely have to include this restaurant to our trip to New York. Thanks for the info. Yes my Mom would like the lobster roll and the clam chowder too. Any suggestions where to buy them? I have read that Johns is the place to go for pizza. We will eat pizza but it is not our favorite. Maybe will try it for lunch one day.