Caribbean Mobile data - cheapest way

shallwe

This is more for those from the UK and I've seen a similar question posed on the P&O forum by someone else but the answers showed that they didn't appear to understand the question.

Basically, I'm taking my smart phone with me but I don't really want to pay the exorbitant fees that my service provider will charge me for sending data. I probably won't be making any calls but will be sending texts. However, being a geek I want to send Facebook updates and associated photos where possible.

Can someone recommend the best way to do this in the Caribbean? Would it be best to buy a local SIM card with a good data allowance? Or just pay the big service provider costs (£48 ($75) for 50MB or £120 ($190) for 200MB).

The common answer discussed on the boards here is to seek free wifi for your phone on the Caribbean islands. Turn off phone data (airplane mode), but turn on Wifi and ask or follow the crew to free wifi locations. The crew knows where they are.

If you have a tablet, it is much easier to do this on your tablet.

As Facebook is your priority, the cheapest thing to do is simply turn off your phone and leave it in the safe on the ship. I am guessing you haven't heard the info out there about people monitoring Facebook for people on vacation, and then breaking into their homes while they are gone?

The common answer discussed on the boards here is to seek free wifi for your phone on the Caribbean islands. Turn off phone data (airplane mode), but turn on Wifi and ask or follow the crew to free wifi locations. The crew knows where they are.

If you have a tablet, it is much easier to do this on your tablet.

As Facebook is your priority, the cheapest thing to do is simply turn off your phone and leave it in the safe on the ship. I am guessing you haven't heard the info out there about people monitoring Facebook for people on vacation, and then breaking into their homes while they are gone?

I appreciate your comment concerning the Facebook security problem. Fortunately I have my mid-twenties unemployed, stay-at-home, keep-fit fanatic son there all day. They would have to get past him first.

Not recommended for health and safety reasons.