Canadians Travel Insurance

dmk

I am curious to know which Travel Insurance Company you use. Is there one with better coverage than another?

I always use the same one. But I see on these boards that here is a great deal of choice. Would they cover cruises booked in Canadian funds?

If you want to take advantage of Celebrity's insurance which allows you to roll over 75% of the cruise cost to a future cruise if you cancel for 'uncovered' reasons, you can buy their insurance. Canadians have to deal with their carrier directly, though, not through the Celebrity desk. Friends have also used Travelunderwriters.com.

I've used RBC, Travelgard, and now will sometimes buy the insurance offered by a TA friend in the US. That insurance states that it is good for Canadians. There sure seems to be a big price difference between the different companies.

YOW...any glaring differences between the different companies that you would point out? I have good medical coverage...and need it for mainly trip interruption and weather.....good old Canadian winters can cause havoc, LOL.

We have always used RBC and had to visit the Dr. on Brilliance, for an ear blockage problem. The bill was over $400 Cdn and we had our refund within 10 days of filing. Therefore, we would not hesitate to use them again.

I use Royal Bank VISA gold - it gives me up to $2500 per trip for cancellation and interuption. Since we usually travel as a family and book two rooms, I charge one to my card and one to my husbands. If needed you can buy top-up insurance for the amount you require. This benefit more than covers the cost of the annual fee for the card.

We've got cover for our upcoming Enchantment cruise through insuremytrip.com I can't remember the brand name off hand, but we found the coverage to be a little higher than Canadian underwriters at a comparable price (not to mention payout in USD). Coverage for prior conditions also seemed a little more generous. I found the site recommended elsewhere on the CC Boards.

This is the first time we've tried them, and I really hope I won't be able to report on the claims process :o . Make sure you specify that you're Canadian so that the site doesn't present options that are not available to you.

Archived